Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:09 am

Hello,

I hope you can shed some light on a bit of a query I have with the seat maps for my upcoming trip.
I am booked to fly MAN-DXB (A380 3-class) DXB-DPS (773 2-class) in J
When I go to reserve seats on the Emirates app, the seat map shows 11A, 14A and 16A are available but on the website version these seats are blocked? I have chosen 11A on the app and it is showing on both the app and website that this is my confirmed seat so was just wondering about the discrepancy really?
Also, would people recommend this seat (11A) over 23 A/K which are the forward window seats in the rear mini cabin of the A380?
Also, on the 777 seat map, there is no 1 J/K seats showing, which I'm not bothered about as I don't like the bulkhead anyway but again, why are they not showing?

Thanks

JD
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Hi!

I'm a Virgin Atlantic flyer for years but changing it to Emirates for the first time. Flying Wednesday on EK012 (arriving 8.30pm) and flying the next morning to BKK. Staying at the Dubai Airport hotel. I already read that you can't pick up your luggage then? So I reckon it will be tagged through? Or do I need to tell at Checkin that i'm staying at the hotel?

Also: I am staying at a hotel at Gatwick-North on Tuesday. But when booking the Chauffeur drive I couldn't pick a day earlier but only a few hours before the flight. Can I have them pick me up a day early and bring me to the hotel/Airport or is this not possible?

And on the seatmaps at some sites the 1* seats are marked as 'noise from the bar'. Is this really true or do you not notice the bar at all? I now picked the 2* seats (window) as a solo traveller but was just wondering about the 1's.

Last one: Do I need to pick up a new ticket for the second flight the morning of the new flight or will I get both at checkin in London? I only ever fly Directly so never done it this way with a stop so i'm clueless about the working of it.

Thank you!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Re: the barber shop EK DXB lounge

Flying on QF metal but have access to the F lounge, now, I want to get a quick hair cut at the barber shop. Is this complimentary? if not, what is the cost?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
@itisme You can ask at checkin to either check the bags to BKK or to DXB. Don't know about the Chauffeur drive a day early, can always call the local operator. It'll likely be their call.

As for the seats, the bar is in the back so rows 1 and 2 might have galley noise (is there a galley in the front of a 2-class?) but won't be the bar. And you should get both tickets at checkin.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by itisme
Hi!

I'm a Virgin Atlantic flyer for years but changing it to Emirates for the first time. Flying Wednesday on EK012 (arriving 8.30pm) and flying the next morning to BKK. Staying at the Dubai Airport hotel. I already read that you can't pick up your luggage then? So I reckon it will be tagged through? Or do I need to tell at Checkin that i'm staying at the hotel?

Also: I am staying at a hotel at Gatwick-North on Tuesday. But when booking the Chauffeur drive I couldn't pick a day earlier but only a few hours before the flight. Can I have them pick me up a day early and bring me to the hotel/Airport or is this not possible?

And on the seatmaps at some sites the 1* seats are marked as 'noise from the bar'. Is this really true or do you not notice the bar at all? I now picked the 2* seats (window) as a solo traveller but was just wondering about the 1's.

Last one: Do I need to pick up a new ticket for the second flight the morning of the new flight or will I get both at checkin in London? I only ever fly Directly so never done it this way with a stop so i'm clueless about the working of it.

Thank you!
Welcome to EK! The airport hotel in Dubai is airside, so while you can ask them to short-check your bags to DXB only you will not be passing immigration or baggage collection while going to the hotel, so this wouldn't make sense.

With the CD it's a tricky one, you can try and request when they call to confirm the pick-up a day early or call EK directly and ask about this. I'm not sure what the outcome might be.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by jonnyjd
Hello,

I hope you can shed some light on a bit of a query I have with the seat maps for my upcoming trip.
I am booked to fly MAN-DXB (A380 3-class) DXB-DPS (773 2-class) in J
When I go to reserve seats on the Emirates app, the seat map shows 11A, 14A and 16A are available but on the website version these seats are blocked? I have chosen 11A on the app and it is showing on both the app and website that this is my confirmed seat so was just wondering about the discrepancy really?
Also, would people recommend this seat (11A) over 23 A/K which are the forward window seats in the rear mini cabin of the A380?
Also, on the 777 seat map, there is no 1 J/K seats showing, which I'm not bothered about as I don't like the bulkhead anyway but again, why are they not showing?

Thanks

JD
Probably a tech glitch. Not familiar with the A380 in J so well but from what I hear on the 3-class those are preferable rows, 11 and 23, with 23A/K usually being heralded as the best seats. 11 will be quieter however as further from the bar.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Krzystos
I'm going to travel with my wife.
I have some miles and my wife also (but less)
Can we book ticket for us using miles?
But: some miles (e.g. 75% of the total miles required) would be from my account, and some miles (e.g. 25% of total miles required) would be from my wife's account?

(or the only option is to transfer miles between account - which is very expensive way to use them....)
I don't think this is possible, but best would be to call EK and ask. You will still need to pay the fuel surcharge and taxes which may make the redemption not very worthwhile, an alternative may be to book a lower class and upgrade if available or pay cash and use miles as co-payment though the value for this is not that great.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Re: the barber shop EK DXB lounge

Flying on QF metal but have access to the F lounge, now, I want to get a quick hair cut at the barber shop. Is this complimentary? if not, what is the cost?
Will be complimentary if you have F lounge access - it will be part of the spa complex situated outside the lounge area if you are on QF metal (you will be in concourse A).

However, not sure on how well the spa reception will be briefed on it, but I've seen quite a few OWE's in Y getting 15 min massages so I think you will be fine unless the barber service has been removed from the complimentary menu when I wasn't looking!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Will be complimentary if you have F lounge access - it will be part of the spa complex situated outside the lounge area if you are on QF metal (you will be in concourse A).

However, not sure on how well the spa reception will be briefed on it, but I've seen quite a few OWE's in Y getting 15 min massages so I think you will be fine unless the barber service has been removed from the complimentary menu when I wasn't looking!
I had to pay for a haircut last week in the spa as an F passenger (maybe around 100 AED. I figured I might as well take advantage of one of the free treatments since I was there anyway and the reflexology was pretty good. I seem to remember that last year the haircuts were part of the complimentary menu but IME not anymore!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:54 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by eternaltransit

Thank you, I will be passing through DXB in about 30 hours or so so let's see how it goes.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Thank you, I will be passing through DXB in about 30 hours or so so let's see how it goes.
Apparently there is a charge, according to Flaneurs, unfortunately Do let us know what happens!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: Skyteam Silver, BA Bronze
I am wondering if you guys can help me out on a minor seating query that no amount of searching is helping me with

I am booked BHX-DXB-HKG-DXB-BHX in J in april.

The app is showing me that All apart from last leg are on A380. I have, as everyone says i should (!) booked 23K where possible (on the HKG legs on 380). However, on the BHX-DXB leg, there isn't a 23k. There is a 22K and a 23J. Unlike the HKG legs, in which the J seats go from row 6-26 inclusive, this leg only goes from 6-22. I assume that this is only a 2 class aircraft, so would 20K be the one to be in ?

Also, any advice for the 2 class 77w coming back to brum would be good too please !!!

Last edited by dukesy; Jan 31, 2017 at 4:50 am
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Thanks all for the replies.

To report back: The chauffeur company called and said I have to get authorisation from Emirates for a day early pick up. Called emirates office and they said they don't do that (except in Dubai) so cancelled the drive (unfortunately . Thought i'd report it back for future reference
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by dukesy
Unlike the HKG legs, in which the J seats go from row 6-26 inclusive, this leg only goes from 6-22. I assume that this is only a 2 class aircraft, so would 20K be the one to be in ?
There was a lot of faffing around with the BHX flights a little while ago, with the A380 changing from the afternoon to the evening flight and from 2 Class to 3 Class. Your seat map shows it up as a two class and you're right in saying 20K is the equivalent if 23K on a 3 Class.

It's one I would be checking on frequently in case the EK website is not as up to date on aircraft/route changes as their planning department.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by itisme
To report back: The chauffeur company called and said I have to get authorisation from Emirates for a day early pick up. Called emirates office and they said they don't do that (except in Dubai) so cancelled the drive (unfortunately . Thought i'd report it back for future reference
I wonder if they would for Elites? Or if you had spoken to a different operator?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.