Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:21 am

Thank you for your answers!

Carry-on filled with emergency set of clothing in case of luggage lost - would be annoying to part ways but absolutely doable.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:48 pm

Hi there, I am flying emirates from Syd to Europe via DXB, and usually SYD DXB route is served by 2 daily A380 both on 3 class A380.
However when I am choosing the seat, it shows that the economy seats starts from 41, and there are 3 seats in row 80, which seems to be on 2class A380. Does anyone knows if EK is changing one of the flight to 2 class A380

Also, do the back seat on A380 (row 80 onwards) always unavailable and only released at certain period?
The seat map on both SYD-DXB and DXB-SYD shows only few of the first seat & last seat with the middle seat not shown (row 80,81, then 87,88. row 82-86 are missing)

I would like to include some pics, but don't know how to do so
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by cheyru
Hi there, I am flying emirates from Syd to Europe via DXB, and usually SYD DXB route is served by 2 daily A380 both on 3 class A380.
However when I am choosing the seat, it shows that the economy seats starts from 41, and there are 3 seats in row 80, which seems to be on 2class A380. Does anyone knows if EK is changing one of the flight to 2 class A380
Sydney is occasionally served by the Non ULR version of the A380, where Row 41 is the first row in Y on 2 Class or 3 Class planes.

The A380 rear cabin was redesigned a while back to allow 3 outboard seats in Row 80, so that's not conclusive. The rest of your post is confusing - as you say pics might be better.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:41 am

Downgraded one LAX frequency to 777?

Just noticed EK217/218 was downgraded from a a380 to a 777 about a week ago. Does anyone know if this is permanent?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Sydney is occasionally served by the Non ULR version of the A380, where Row 41 is the first row in Y on 2 Class or 3 Class planes.

The A380 rear cabin was redesigned a while back to allow 3 outboard seats in Row 80, so that's not conclusive. The rest of your post is confusing - as you say pics might be better.
How can I upload pic here?
Do I have to upload them on other website first and give the link here?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
That's how I do it. I use postimage.org
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:45 am

You can upload straight into FT: on the main post reply screen (not quick reply), under Additional Options, go to Manage Attachments/Attach files.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
You can upload straight into FT: on the main post reply screen (not quick reply), under Additional Options, go to Manage Attachments/Attach files.
As you can see in the picture,
they only display the seats on row 80 and 81, and some on row 87 & 88.
Seats on row 82 to 86 are missing
Attached Images  
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Hi.

I've just booked my first ever flight with EK. It's actually a QF award booking in J. PER-DXB-GLA and return.

MMB says that seat allocation is pending. Will that change to something so that I can try and select seats?

On the way over, I arrive in DXB at 05:20 and depart at 15:00
On the return, I arrive in DXB at 00:30 and depart at 3:00

Will the business lounge be available then? I'll have my 80 yo mother with me then, so I wasn't planning on seeing any of Dubai?

Any other suggestions on how to make the most of my flight / time there? Do we need to enter UAE? Or do we technically not enter the country?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by weegraeme
Hi.

I've just booked my first ever flight with EK. It's actually a QF award booking in J. PER-DXB-GLA and return.

MMB says that seat allocation is pending. Will that change to something so that I can try and select seats?

On the way over, I arrive in DXB at 05:20 and depart at 15:00
On the return, I arrive in DXB at 00:30 and depart at 3:00

Will the business lounge be available then? I'll have my 80 yo mother with me then, so I wasn't planning on seeing any of Dubai?

Any other suggestions on how to make the most of my flight / time there? Do we need to enter UAE? Or do we technically not enter the country?
1. The lounge is open 24/7. It will be quite busy between 00:00 - 04:00 and 06:00 - 10:00.
2. I'd recommend booking a room at the airport hotel in the terminal or a nearby hotel for such a long layover
3. You don't enter the country if you're just transiting.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:42 pm

Hey all,

I've been spending the last few weeks getting my bearings straight on all things points/mileage/flying, and thought I had the general picture figured out, but sadly, there was an oversight.

I imagined the Canadian Amex MR programme was connected, or simply a duplicate of the American version, and that I would be able to seek my EK goals that way (I have no issues with the hub model, as I have family in UAE that I would visit often).

With that being said, is anyone familiar with any reasonable approach for Canadians looking to rack up points/miles for Emirates? It would be great if I were still able to use Amex in a 1:1 ratio of sorts to get upgrades on Emirates, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thank you.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:43 am

I have tried 7 times over 2 days to book a reward flight and keep getting the message after hitting purchase "Sorry, unable to complete booking, please try again". Is it the system or something I am doing? My first thought was it was what I was entering but now that it happened so many times I am not sure.

Details:
Booking JNB-DXB-JFK in F
Miles were transferred in 24 hours ago from AMEX
Booking from wife's account and ticketing in my name
I notice it populates her FF # while it shows my name
I have tried credit cards in my name and her name
I have tried her email address and my email address
I have used 3 different computers with 3 different browsers

Do I just need to call? One issue is my wife is not here to call and it is her account.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by mileshound
I have tried 7 times over 2 days to book a reward flight and keep getting the message after hitting purchase "Sorry, unable to complete booking, please try again". Is it the system or something I am doing? My first thought was it was what I was entering but now that it happened so many times I am not sure.

Details:
Booking JNB-DXB-JFK in F
Miles were transferred in 24 hours ago from AMEX
Booking from wife's account and ticketing in my name
I notice it populates her FF # while it shows my name
I have tried credit cards in my name and her name
I have tried her email address and my email address
I have used 3 different computers with 3 different browsers

Do I just need to call? One issue is my wife is not here to call and it is her account.
Likely the system not liking the name on the ticket - not matching the account holder.

You'd need to call in. You could make yourself travel coordinator for your wife's account though, if possible.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by l0ck
Hey all,

I've been spending the last few weeks getting my bearings straight on all things points/mileage/flying, and thought I had the general picture figured out, but sadly, there was an oversight.

I imagined the Canadian Amex MR programme was connected, or simply a duplicate of the American version, and that I would be able to seek my EK goals that way (I have no issues with the hub model, as I have family in UAE that I would visit often).

With that being said, is anyone familiar with any reasonable approach for Canadians looking to rack up points/miles for Emirates? It would be great if I were still able to use Amex in a 1:1 ratio of sorts to get upgrades on Emirates, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thank you.
I think unfortunately it would have to be Amex MR -> SPG -> EK at a 2:1 ratio if you have an Amex charge card, or take out the SPG Amex in Canada for 1:1 earn into SPG -> EK.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:04 pm

2 more newbie questions on 2 trips I am planning.

1) It says chauffeur service is not available from EWR to JFK. What about JFK to EWR?

2) Am looking to book my 20 year old daughter in J connecting through DXB. There is a 6 hour layover. I can't find a definitive answer if she is a "minor" and will not be granted lounge access. There was a note on the EK website about local licensing and was referencing 18 and 21 ages. I am thinking no access since there is self serve alcohol and the UAE drinking age is 21. That may be the local licensing they reference. If they enforce it is another variable.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.