Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:23 am

Was supposed to be flying MAN-PER on 2 x A380s tomorrow but upon checking in have found out about them downgrading the DXB-PER leg from an A380 to a 777. I'd intentionally booked a specific route (and even used Emirates over a competitor) in order to get a 100% A380 trip so am very disappointed. Should Emirates have notified me of an equipment change?

I'm a lowly Y class customer so I'm assuming there's no point complaining?

P.S. In the route change thread, the downgrade wasn't supposed to occur for a few more days but seems to have been done a while back, is it normal for these things to get brought forwards?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
No airline guarantees that a specific type of airplane will be operating the route. Equipment swaps happen and there's nothing one can do about it unfortunately. You'll find EK probably did inform you but the mail may be stuck in your spam folder or similar.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
No airline guarantees that a specific type of airplane will be operating the route. Equipment swaps happen and there's nothing one can do about it unfortunately. You'll find EK probably did inform you but the mail may be stuck in your spam folder or similar.
Yeah I get that, can't really blame them for wanting to minimise their losses. Definitely no contact from Emirates though, I'm on my emails like a hawk and have had plenty of marketing junk from them!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: Emirates / SPG
Advanced flight search - emirates

Hi,

am new and would appreciate your support.

I have noticed that if you were to do advanced flight searches (from LHR) to any east bound destination with a DXB stopover in excess of 14 days then the pricing significantly increases and flex fares become unavailable.

Is there a way around this? Does Dubai actually count as a STOPOVER if the ticket is purchased as advanced i.e multi destination.

Regards,

DXBM
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by dxbmutheer
Hi,

am new and would appreciate your support.

I have noticed that if you were to do advanced flight searches (from LHR) to any east bound destination with a DXB stopover in excess of 14 days then the pricing significantly increases and flex fares become unavailable.

Is there a way around this? Does Dubai actually count as a STOPOVER if the ticket is purchased as advanced i.e multi destination.

Regards,

DXBM
Any stop >24hrs is a stopover other than the turnaround point which is the destination. With EK tickets generally have the format of

AAA - DXB - CCC where CCC is always the destination, probably valid for 90% of EK tickets. With an open-jaw you have AAA-DXB-CCC-DXB-BBB which still has CCC as destination, a stop >24h in DXB on either way is still a stopover.

On some routes you might get AAA-DXB-CCC-DDD-DXB-AAA(/BBB) and in this case the destination might be either CCC or DDD (a simple routing liket his might be FRA-DXB-HKG-BKK-DXB-MUC for instance. I think in this case HKG would be the final destination, with BKK and DXB being stopovers (if staying >24h!).

This can get more complex by adding side trips, you might have AAA-DXB[-CCC-DXB]-DDD-DXB-MUC where CCC is a side-trip, which has a different section and condition in the fare rules.

Either way, the trick is to look at the fare rules and you'll likely find the Flex fares specify STOPOVERS: 1 FREE PERMITTED IN DXB WITH MAX STAY OF 14 DAYS, ADDITIONAL STOPOVERS PERMITTED AT A FEE OF X or some variation thereof.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: Emirates / SPG
Any stop >24hrs is a stopover other than the turnaround point which is the destination. With EK tickets generally have the format of

AAA - DXB - CCC where CCC is always the destination, probably valid for 90% of EK tickets. With an open-jaw you have AAA-DXB-CCC-DXB-BBB which still has CCC as destination, a stop >24h in DXB on either way is still a stopover.

On some routes you might get AAA-DXB-CCC-DDD-DXB-AAA(/BBB) and in this case the destination might be either CCC or DDD (a simple routing liket his might be FRA-DXB-HKG-BKK-DXB-MUC for instance. I think in this case HKG would be the final destination, with BKK and DXB being stopovers (if staying >24h!).

This can get more complex by adding side trips, you might have AAA-DXB[-CCC-DXB]-DDD-DXB-MUC where CCC is a side-trip, which has a different section and condition in the fare rules.

Either way, the trick is to look at the fare rules and you'll likely find the Flex fares specify STOPOVERS: 1 FREE PERMITTED IN DXB WITH MAX STAY OF 14 DAYS, ADDITIONAL STOPOVERS PERMITTED AT A FEE OF X or some variation thereof.
Thanks for the quick response. My delimma is in the fact that the 14 day max stopover was not there pre Jan2017 which was i booked my last advanced ticket with a Prolonged dubai stopover. I am based in Dubai but travel to London quite frequently and tend to book my flights out of LHR mainly in F.
If you will check yourself the pricing matrix changes when the dates exceed 14 days between cities in advanced search (web address shows selectprice aspx when within 14 days and selectpricestopover when beyond 14 days). Quite frustrating when you are doing an advanced search with multi-city.

Regards,

DXBM
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by dxbmutheer
Thanks for the quick response. My delimma is in the fact that the 14 day max stopover was not there pre Jan2017 which was i booked my last advanced ticket with a Prolonged dubai stopover. I am based in Dubai but travel to London quite frequently and tend to book my flights out of LHR mainly in F.
If you will check yourself the pricing matrix changes when the dates exceed 14 days between cities in advanced search (web address shows selectprice aspx when within 14 days and selectpricestopover when beyond 14 days). Quite frustrating when you are doing an advanced search with multi-city.

Regards,

DXBM
Well this behaviour of exploiting extended stopovers to circumvent higher ex-DXB pricing is what they're evidently trying to curb. Looking at published F fares for LHR-BKK round-trip the cheapest fare which is an A-class fare with a base fare of $3601 (fare basis ALQSSGB1) shows:

UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT
LIMITED TO 4 FREE AND UNLIMITED AT GBP 100.00
EACH.
2 FREE IN EACH DIRECTION
UNLIMITED AT ANY POINT AT GBP 100.00 EACH.
A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 14 DAYS.
Whereas the next higher fare (AEE1SGB1) which is still an A fare ($5119 base fare) also has this restriction:

UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE OUTBOUND AND ON
THE INBOUND FARE COMPONENTS.
A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 14 DAYS.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
STOPOVERS ARE PERMITTED ONLY AT THE CITIES
MENTIONED IN THE ROUTING.
Only when looking at fares that book into the F bucket (FEE1FGB1) the stopover restriction is removed:

UNLIMITED STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE OUTBOUND AND ON
THE INBOUND FARE COMPONENTS.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
STOPOVERS ARE PERMITTED ONLY AT THE CITIES
MENTIONED IN THE ROUTING.
This one is about 7600$ and then there's another (FRTGB7) which is 18,600$ which is ridiculous. Unfortunately it doesn't seem there are any Flex fares that permit stopovers >14 days published, incl out of BHX or AMS, or even LHR-CPT instead of LHR-BKK.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:43 am

Anyone managed to get the Emirates boarding pass Google Now thing to work? Clicking the link in the boarding pass email it seems to imply Google Now will just "pick up" my pass and show it to me when necessary, but a few hours out from my flight it's still now showing up as a card in Google Now?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
GIG/ EZE chauffeur drive

Quick question: I have an upcoming J flight from GIG to EZE. I see on the website that there is no complimentary CD when flying this particular segment/route. However, it says that a car can be reserved at USD1/ km and pay with cash/card. My hotels are about 25-30 km from the two airports, so seems like a decent deal.

When trying to book a car service in the manage booking section of EK's site, only rental cars come up. How does one reserve the CD? Call EK directly? Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: EK, QF, KLM,SQ
See next post!

Last edited by EKcellent; Mar 21, 2017 at 9:04 pm Reason: Text was not added after the quote!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: EK, QF, KLM,SQ
PER service was silently changed to bookings. No notification.
Occurred around early January, originally with effect MAR27, but started around 9th Feb.
a380 service had been heavily marketed in PER!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Does EK allow open jaw awards?

Example: EWR-ATH//MXP-JFK. I know N. America EU is 90k RT in Biz - if this OJ can be done, would it require more miles??
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
Does EK allow open jaw awards?

Example: EWR-ATH//MXP-JFK. I know N. America EU is 90k RT in Biz - if this OJ can be done, would it require more miles??
You'd probably have to book it as 2 one way trips. Best to call in.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by m3red
You'd probably have to book it as 2 one way trips. Best to call in.
Thank you. I'm going to give them a call now.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
Thank you. I'm going to give them a call now.
FYI It did work. MXP/ATH OJ was 90k miles RT. ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.