Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I don't have the answer but a quick google search throws up many threads on the subject:

Using JAL points on EK
Advice kindly sought re booking Emirates via JAL Mileage Bank
Emirates JAL Award Question
Emirates award maximization on JAL
Emirates using JAL miles

One of these might have the answer (probably will, I recall it being discussed somewhere)
As far as I can tell all these threads deal with using JAL Miles to book an award on Emirates. I'm looking for the opposite - using Skywards Miles to book an award on JL.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ritesa
As far as I can tell all these threads deal with using JAL Miles to book an award on Emirates. I'm looking for the opposite - using Skywards Miles to book an award on JL.
Oh sorry - misunderstood that (not typical that people have excess EK miles and use them on partners).

Checked EK website, google search for some hidden PDF on the EK website and some blogs, can't find anything, sorry. Perhaps someone else can assist
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:34 am

No one seems to know. Even Emirates' Facebook team just replied with a generic message : "You can send your request to book a reward ticket on Japan Airlines via ..." - which doesn't help.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:01 am

No one seems to know. Even Emirates' Facebook team just replied with a generic message : "You can send your request to book a reward ticket on Japan Airlines via ..." - which doesn't help.
Try the Twitter team perhaps, they're quite helpful. Word the question clearly: "Can Skywards miles be used to book one-way awards on Japan Airlines or can they only be used for returns? Your website is not clear on this matter."
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Advantage
What status could I earn 4x / year (DFW-DXB-BLR)?

I'm going to be traveling 4x / year to India and I'm curious what status I could earn from DFW to Bangalore if I commit to Emirates?

I'm generally AA, but their options stink for full mileage (DFW-LHR-BLR).

Thanks,
Matt
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mck125
I'm going to be traveling 4x / year to India and I'm curious what status I could earn from DFW to Bangalore if I commit to Emirates?

Thanks,
Matt
What class? F/J/Y ???
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:09 am

Try the Twitter team perhaps, they're quite helpful. Word the question clearly: "Can Skywards miles be used to book one-way awards on Japan Airlines or can they only be used for returns? Your website is not clear on this matter."
Well, here's the - rather dissatisfying - answer: "Our website shows that you can spend miles for return reward flights. There's a list/table of countries wherein you can book return flights."

This statement doesn't really anser my question. For Korean Air, they only list returns, but as far as I know you can book one-ways as well.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Thanks,
Matt
Look at the "earn" chart on the AS website - it posted exactly as promised for me. North America to Hyderabad in J is around 37k RDM / 20k EQM per R/T.

I looked at a few options and concluded that flying EK and posting to AS was the best option for me for travel to India. Took into account (a) generous RDM/EQM, (b) good J product, (c) general availability of competitive fares, (d) ability to go all-carry-on if I chose, and (e) ability to avoid a domestic flight in India.

I couldn't get the better TPAC airlines to price well, I didn't want to fly crappy AA/BA products that far, EY weighs carryons which would force me to check a bag, and I had no desire to jack around in Delhi or Mumbai for half a day waiting on a domestic flight. I'm pretty happy with EK in general.

Not sure how or if my analysis would have gone differently for Y or F. In Y, I might have tried to fly as far as possible on AA metal simply because I have status there. I'm sure EK F is awesome but I've never actually paid attention to the pricing of it.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:02 am

Well, here's the - rather dissatisfying - answer: "Our website shows that you can spend miles for return reward flights. There's a list/table of countries wherein you can book return flights."

This statement doesn't really anser my question. For Korean Air, they only list returns, but as far as I know you can book one-ways as well.
This really seems to be an informational black hole. Even calling Emirates the agent didn't know and I was put on hold for quite some time while she made some inquiries. Eventually I was told that one-way rewards are not possible on JL (as well as KE and SA). She didn't seem too certain of this though.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Look at the "earn" chart on the AS website - it posted exactly as promised for me. North America to Hyderabad in J is around 37k RDM / 20k EQM per R/T.

I looked at a few options and concluded that flying EK and posting to AS was the best option for me for travel to India. Took into account (a) generous RDM/EQM, (b) good J product, (c) general availability of competitive fares, (d) ability to go all-carry-on if I chose, and (e) ability to avoid a domestic flight in India.

I couldn't get the better TPAC airlines to price well, I didn't want to fly crappy AA/BA products that far, EY weighs carryons which would force me to check a bag, and I had no desire to jack around in Delhi or Mumbai for half a day waiting on a domestic flight. I'm pretty happy with EK in general.

Not sure how or if my analysis would have gone differently for Y or F. In Y, I might have tried to fly as far as possible on AA metal simply because I have status there. I'm sure EK F is awesome but I've never actually paid attention to the pricing of it.
Pretty sure the question was around EK Status and posting to Skywards. Also no mention of class of travel, if Y it'll likely only be Silver at most and Silver would be helpful with the transit.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Pretty sure the question was around EK Status and posting to Skywards. Also no mention of class of travel, if Y it'll likely only be Silver at most and Silver would be helpful with the transit.
Ah... My apologies, I had some of my own original questions about EK posting on a very similar AS "newbie" thread. I thought this was that thread...

Oh well...mck125, everything else I said about EK is true and I think it's a good call for NA-India. (Again, sort of assuming these are business trips and you're maybe looking at the J cabin.) My volume is more like 1x-2x yr with a bunch of other U.S. west coast travel I can post to AS, so that's part of why I settled on them to post. Shooting for a high EK status was never in the cards for me.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What class? F/J/Y ???
It's booked through my company travel agent, so not sure how to check. It only says "Coach" on the info I get.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:49 am

It's booked through my company travel agent, so not sure how to check. It only says "Coach" on the info I get.
Flyertalk shorthand is Y for coach, J for business, and F for first. Y, J, and F also refer to the full-fare tariffs in each of those cabins, but around here we generically use them when we're talking about the cabin itself (unless the context is really about the full-fares vs. discounted/restricted fares).

My own personal assessment was for Business class - a fare bucket not quite as high as full-J - and I didn't really look at the various Coach options. You're in the right place to ask though!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:08 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

OK - in Economy, there are 4 types, and the points you get depend on the type. Return points are :-

Special - 1800
Saver - 5400
Flex - 13500
Flex Plus - 18000

You need 25K points to get Silver, and 50K points to get Gold.

So, depending on the type of ticket, you could be Blue / Silver or Gold.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:30 am

Thanks @pinniped and @DYKWIA, appreciate both the information and for not "flaming the newbie".

Matt

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
OK - in Economy, there are 4 types, and the points you get depend on the type. Return points are :-

Special - 1800
Saver - 5400
Flex - 13500
Flex Plus - 18000

You need 25K points to get Silver, and 50K points to get Gold.

So, depending on the type of ticket, you could be Blue / Silver or Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.