Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Advice kindly sought re booking Emirates via JAL Mileage Bank

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this -- it's very much appreciated.

I just wanted to ask for some advice from FTers about booking Emirates business class using my JAL Mileage Bank account, and, specifically, I really wanted to seek advice on whether I stood any chance at all of being able to achieve the following (with a fair wind) or whether, in fact, my chances of success would be pretty limited?

My goal:

Booking 2 x Business Class return tickets on Emirates
Route: MXP - JFK - MXP
Outbound: Dec 16, 2017 ○ Return: Dec 23, 2017
I'd be able to book from April 1 (when I will have accrued sufficient airmiles to do so)

The main reason for seeking advice is really because I will have the equivalent required redemption miles -- in terms of SPG Starpoints -- by the end of March, but I am reluctant to transfer them across to my JAL account (from my Starwood account) if I stand very little reasonable chance of being able to snag a couple of Business class seats on Emirates within the next 9.5 months -- I'd be unlikely to use my JAL miles for anything else in the short term, but would my SPG points.

Any advice at all very much welcomed!

Again, thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:01 am

There is no availability at this point for the return trip from JFK to MXP (understandably, as it is the holiday season). At least right now, you will not be able to use them for the flights you mentioned. Seats may open up in the future, but they may not.

Perhaps you can check again when you are actually ready to press send on the Starpoints, which will be a better (but not guaranteed) indication of whether you will be able to redeem for the flights you need. More than 1 month away is too long for any availability you see now to be meaningful.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Stargold, many thanks for your reply -- I do appreciate it.

In an effort to not sound wildly stupid, the main reason for posting the above is that I'm not especially familiar with general ability to secure Emirates awards via JAL. (I'm more au fait with booking partner awards [CX, QF, JL, etc.] via BA, you see, or QF via AA.) As such, I wasn't sure whether, like, say, Singapore Airlines or Air New Zealand via Virgin Atlantic, nominally there is a partnership between JAL and Emirates, but in reality the chance of getting a seat is actually quite unlikely.

From what you say, though, perhaps there is room for hope, but that, like with all programmes, you just need to time it right and keep checking inventory with AwardNexus and the like. As you say, too, peak holiday season is not helpful to my cause.

Whatever the case, Stargold, I do appreciate the reply, so thank you again.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Scoob72

In an effort to not sound wildly stupid, the main reason for posting the above is that I'm not especially familiar with general ability to secure Emirates awards via JAL. (I'm more au fait with booking partner awards [CX, QF, JL, etc.] via BA, you see, or QF via AA.) As such, I wasn't sure whether, like, say, Singapore Airlines or Air New Zealand via Virgin Atlantic, nominally there is a partnership between JAL and Emirates, but in reality the chance of getting a seat is actually quite unlikely.

From what you say, though, perhaps there is room for hope, but that, like with all programmes, you just need to time it right and keep checking inventory with AwardNexus and the like. As you say, too, peak holiday season is not helpful to my cause.

I don't think EK discriminate between partners with award inventory. EK just generally has notoriously little award (and even less upgrade) space. Set an alert on expertflyer and hope for the best! And be willing to move a day or two in either direction on dates.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:52 am

In F, all reward inventory, both to partners and EK members, as well as upgrades, come out of the Z bucket. Lately EK have been offering some discounted upgrades into A inventory, which is the cheaper F cabin fare class.

In J, there are two award inventories, O for EK flex awards, which is also a revenue bucket and D for EK saver awards and everyone else.

In Y, there are separate inventories for EK flex awards, which usually go into a revenue W, Savers which go into N class and Partners which go into X class.

There's no discrimination between award partners (but less availability in J/Y for non EK partners due to the additional inventory for flex awards).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
In F, all reward inventory, both to partners and EK members, as well as upgrades, come out of the Z bucket. Lately EK have been offering some discounted upgrades into A inventory, which is the cheaper F cabin fare class.

In J, there are two award inventories, O for EK flex awards, which is also a revenue bucket and D for EK saver awards and everyone else.

In Y, there are separate inventories for EK flex awards, which usually go into a revenue W, Savers which go into N class and Partners which go into X class.

There's no discrimination between award partners (but less availability in J/Y for non EK partners due to the additional inventory for flex awards).
I don't think there are "non-EK partners" that have access to awards or rather all partners are not EK?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I don't think there are "non-EK partners" that have access to awards or rather all partners are not EK?
Yeah, I meant non-partners, I guess EK was redundant
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:41 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Looking at Expertflyer, there is D bucket inventory on the outbound (EK205) on 16/12 at this moment. But, as indicated by stargold, nothing on the return on 23/12 +/- 3 days. And as it is holiday season....
There is plenty 'O' availability on all days. But a return D award is 90000 miles, a return O award is 125000 miles (please someone correct me if I am wrong). And you can't mix D and O awards as there does not seem to be a one way D award.

when I look at dates a month from now, there is decent D availability on EK206, the inbound flight (not on all days, but on 5/7. But that (17 - 23 March) is not holiday season.

I find expertflyer a cost effective way to do this sort of research and make decisions based on it. I am not a very frequent flyer and once I'm done with the upgrades for my upcoming trip, I will stop my U$9.99 / month subscription and reactivate it when I need it again.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Looking at Expertflyer, there is D bucket inventory on the outbound (EK205) on 16/12 at this moment. But, as indicated by stargold, nothing on the return on 23/12 +/- 3 days. And as it is holiday season....
There is plenty 'O' availability on all days. But a return D award is 90000 miles, a return O award is 125000 miles (please someone correct me if I am wrong). And you can't mix D and O awards as there does not seem to be a one way D award.
You can't access O space using JL miles - it has to be D.
I find expertflyer a cost effective way to do this sort of research and make decisions based on it. I am not a very frequent flyer and once I'm done with the upgrades for my upcoming trip, I will stop my U$9.99 / month subscription and reactivate it when I need it again.
As someone who travels even remotely often, it is worth every penny. I don't know what I would do without it.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:45 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by stargold
You can't access O space using JL miles - it has to be D. As someone who travels even remotely often, it is worth every penny. I don't know what I would do without it.
Thanks for that clarification about the O bucket. Not That I have (or expect evert to have) JL miles. I presume then that O bucket availability is only using Skywards?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:36 am

Yes, only for Skywards
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:39 am
Original Poster

skywardhunter eternaltransit thijsseh • and stargold once again -- thank you all so much: I have much to learn and all of the above is hugely useful to me and very insightful, so thank you!

I think the fact that JAL insist on round-trip awards (i.e. no one-ways) with EK redemptions and the fact that I am looking at peak Christmas season might be my undoing here with EK via JAL.

Perhaps I should turn my attention to other airlines, especially as I am LHR-based. (I had wanted to try EK as I had never flown EK J before and 65,000 JAL return MXP-JFK-MXP was a snip if I could get it, but getting it is clearly the difficulty.)
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
skywardhunter eternaltransit thijsseh • and stargold once again -- thank you all so much: I have much to learn and all of the above is hugely useful to me and very insightful, so thank you!

I think the fact that JAL insist on round-trip awards (i.e. no one-ways) with EK redemptions and the fact that I am looking at peak Christmas season might be my undoing here with EK via JAL.

Perhaps I should turn my attention to other airlines, especially as I am LHR-based. (I had wanted to try EK as I had never flown EK J before and 65,000 JAL return MXP-JFK-MXP was a snip if I could get it, but getting it is clearly the difficulty.)
AFAIK, you can book one-way awards on EK using JAL miles, just that the miles required are quite a bit more than 50% of round-trip. Also, I don't think you can convert a one-way to round-trip without cancelling and making a new reservation. Though one good thing about JAL awards is the super-low change/cancellation fee (only 3100Y ~ USD28).

Also, keep in mind that transfer from SPG to JAL MB can take more than a week (took about 10 days in my case, though that was over the Christmas holidays).
However, my suggestion would be to not transfer the points until you see availability on your desired dates and probably on a couple of backup dates too.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Unicon, many thanks for the above information -- I had no idea that one-way awards were possible on EK using JAL, so that is very good to know. And thanks, too, for the tip about the timing of any transfers -- some prudent advice I'll be following.

All the best.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: Emirates
Hey guys,

Still a little confused about how to find out award availability through JAL... Do you have to call?

Thinking of transferring SPG points to JAL to book (DXB-MXP May 11, MXP-JFK May 14, JFK-DXB May 26). What is my best strategy? Can I confirm with JAL and then initiate the Starpoints so that the award availability doesn't disappear while I wait?

Thanks guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.