Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The new Emirates commercial featuring Jennifer Aniston

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new Emirates commercial featuring Jennifer Aniston

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:46 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I think its a cute ad. Well produced. Agreed that the suites are looking tired but the overall F package is still right up there. And still one of the best beds to sleep in. Even better if Jen A was right beside you. The old fox. You know, if she played her cards right, she could have me...
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Given that she hates flying though that advert was hypocritical...one more hour on the air?
But "on the air" means being on TV.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
We feel for you m3red. We really do

As they say over in the UK at the end of every 'Crimewatch' programme :
"Don't have nightmares !"
Thanks, much appreciated. ^ #Dubaiproblems

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
He has frequent nightmares. He dreams that there is no more Dom left.
This was almost reality recently.

#reallyscaryDubaiproblems

Originally Posted by Madone59
I like it! But I do that that view above the F suite when she "wakes up" makes the suite look cramped. I don't know, just me eye for it.
I agree actually the top down view was not the best and made it look cramped.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:56 am

In hindsight, EK should have hired JLaw in a positive ad campaign. Being young, hot and current, she will attract more backpackers looking for cheap tickets.

EY's ad was focused on their product and Nicole Kidman was an nice add on. EY had Katrina Kaif few years back as brand ambassador, she also looks good.

JA in robe with loofah trolling in a negative ad. I am not sure. Any negative ad will get negative response, right after paid/fanboy praising sessions are over.

Showers/bar statement is quarter(60+/~240) truth.

Being a ULH LCC EK is setting passenger expectations very high.

Now, FA's on rest of 180 planes can only hope no potbellied middle aged guy in his robe hanging his ... looking for Shower and Bar.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by avcritic
In hindsight, EK should have hired JLaw in a positive ad campaign. Being young, hot and current, she will attract more backpackers looking for cheap tickets.

EY's ad was focused on their product and Nicole Kidman was an nice add on. EY had Katrina Kaif few years back as brand ambassador, she also looks good.

JA in robe with loofah trolling in a negative ad. I am not sure. Any negative ad will get negative response, right after paid/fanboy praising sessions are over.

Showers/bar statement is quarter(60+/~240) truth.

Being a ULH LCC EK is setting passenger expectations very high.

Now, FA's on rest of 180 planes can only hope no potbellied middle aged guy in his robe hanging his ... looking for Shower and Bar.
I agree, it was a negative ad focusing on other airlines, instead of highlighting EK's product. I didn't feel I wanted to try the product. EY's Nicole Kidman ad and even Korean Air's "it's all about you" ad are superior.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I do think one can over-analyse the detail of an ad's content & then end up reading too much into it.

For me, when all said & done, it comes down to basics : creating brand awareness and tapping into a sense of aspiration via a memorable message. On those counts I see this latest offering as an effective tool, with little potential for serious negativity.

As for the target audience.... I doubt that any TV ad agency has ever been approached by any premium airline with a brief along the lines of "ok, we're looking to appeal to the back-packer market.....". That market is of course almost entirely price-led. EK gets plenty of it already, so no real need for dedicated campaigns.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:07 am

Without opening a discussion on as to what facets of LCC operations apply to EK (high margins are certainly not one of them!), perhaps the point you raise is exactly why EK have gone with Aniston and have highlighted parts of their product in the way they have.

As I think you imply, EK are known for/popular in some markets for relatively cheap fares, so this may be attempt by EK to reposition upmarket ex-USA. After all, ex-USA J/F prices are quite expensive: certainly not in the realm of young backpackers.

If you take a view that EK want to attract ex-USA pax who have that kind of disposable cash, you're looking at 30-50 year olds - and Jennifer Aniston is relevant to age group because of her fame through Friends (incidentally now on Netflix...), whereas JLaw I would argue less so.

However can EK really compete on product with the likes of EY, SQ, CX, QR? IMHO not until a product refresh (Nov maybe?) - so highlight what they can - shower and bar, and to take advantage of the negative attitude US customers have towards US airlines vis-a-vis products.

In that context the advert and its casting,I think makes sense, or at least EK's rationale for their choices. Of course as to how effective it is is a different matter! Is the advert creating exposure, positive of negative? One could argue that is the point of the ad, not to "sell" the product.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:42 am

Some good points there eternal.

And just to clarify my earlier comment about 'basics' ...I wasn't implying that advertising is a simple science. Far from it. The sort of issues you mention (and no doubt many more besides !) will almost certainly have been discussed in depth by EK's people and their ad agency. But I do firmly believe that the ultimate, overriding aim is to produce something that leaves the viewer with a core, memorable message.

I was a little surprised that another poster made specific reference to JA in her dressing gown. I actually thought it was such a minor aspect of the 'overall' scenario that (even after a number of viewings) I barely remembered it. The residual message for me was the fact that A380's run by Emirates have showers & lounge bars on board and that (most) other airlines do not. Now ..... although I was already well aware of that, EK are clearly targeting those who are not.

I have lost count of the number of travellers I come across who are still surprised to learn about the facilities on EK's A380's. I do point out that - useful though they are - these are not life-changers, and so please manage your expectations before you decide to shell out lots of money for (possibly) the wrong reasons. But it doesn't stop folk wanting/aspiring to try the product, and of course that's exactly what EK is hoping for by commissioning these sort of ads.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the problem in my view, this was not an inspirational ad for an aspirational product, it was more like "meh". An ad could create exposure AND sell the product well, the latter of which was not done here effectively, IMO.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:12 am

Well I disagree nk15, and am still not at all sure exactly what sort of ad would work for you, and would get you thinking that you'd like to try an EK flight offering the 'special' facilities highlighted.

But hey, there are obviously going to be a whole range of opinions and ultimately it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
That's the problem in my view, this was not an inspirational ad for an aspirational product, it was more like "meh". An ad could create exposure AND sell the product well, the latter of which was not done here effectively, IMO.
I'm thinking that you are not in the advertising business.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The ad is mainly to stick one up to the US3 after their "illegal subsidy" allegations. They could have easily just have shown the showers, bar, seat - but they specifically go after the US airlines.

Now, the rest of the world thinks this is amusing, but I'm guessing not all the septics will see the funny side.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Now, the rest of the world thinks this is amusing, but I'm guessing not all the septics will see the funny side.
Nor the sceptics! (skeptics in the US) ^^^
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, this is how it's done, epic glam, by Korean Air:

They throw everything in but the kitchen sink in there, lol, it hits you from all different angles. Not a miserable JA trying to "stick it" to the US3.

More:

Last edited by nk15; Oct 7, 2015 at 10:50 am
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:47 am

Have always thoroughly enjoyed my visits to the States, am just back from Washington & NYC, and as always found everyone to be courteous & friendly.

But fair to say perhaps (?) that America doesn't find it easy to see irony, or the funny side where its shortcomings are concerned.

And US carriers have sure had many shortcomings, over a period spanning many years .......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.