Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The new Emirates commercial featuring Jennifer Aniston

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new Emirates commercial featuring Jennifer Aniston

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Sant
Folks have pointed out the old/cramped suite in the commercial, but it's selling the soft product as much as the hard product. At the beginning of the ad, she was dealing with the inattentive crew of a generic domestic crew. Near the end, she is dealing with an attentive EK crewmember.

For those who regularly travel in F, only EK gives them the potential of an in-flight shower. Yes, only their A380s offer this luxury as opposed to their B777s & A340s, but none of their competitors' A380s offer it.
Apologies for Flyertalk pedantry but EY's A380 has a shower for F Apartment passengers and an additional dedicated one for Residence pax!

Probably a testament to EK marketing that people think only EK has a shower and bar in the sky though!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Apologies for Flyertalk pedantry but EY's A380 has a shower for F Apartment passengers and an additional dedicated one for Residence pax!

Probably a testament to EK marketing that people think only EK has a shower and bar in the sky though!
Methinks Etihad is due for another commercial where Nicole Kidman has a nightmare about being Jennifer Aniston on Emirates without a butler service and a private Residence with a private shower, and then she wakes up in the Residence and tells her butler about the horrifying nightmare, who listens compassionately...
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Methinks Etihad is due for another commercial where Nicole Kidman has a nightmare about being Jennifer Aniston on Emirates without a butler service and a private Residence with a private shower, and then she wakes up in the Residence and tells her butler about the horrifying nightmare, who listens compassionately...
Bring it on, I look forward to it.

Though by the definitions of a few here, that would seem to be negative advertising...
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:40 pm

Good one. But I doubt because Hogan always presents himself as a humble person. Never rubs competition the wrong way. Watch the EY commercial launch event. Kidman's casual (may be scripted to act unscripted) responses were elegant.

In contrast EK always ready to poke in others eyes and expects them to respond in a civil manner.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by avcritic
Good one. But I doubt because Hogan always presents himself as a humble person. Never rubs competition the wrong way. Watch the EY commercial launch event. Kidman's casual (may be scripted to act unscripted) responses were elegant.

In contrast EK always ready to poke in others eyes and expects them to respond in a civil manner.
I personally think this could be where EK is going badly wrong. Based on what you say about the way Etihad handles things, Emirates have a lot to learn : they obviously need to hire 'elegant' people to front their ads (and also to respond - whether working to a script or not - to any questions that might crop up at launch events). Using inelegant, highly unpopular women such as Jennifer Aniston just won't cut it I say.

As for rubbing up the competition "the wrong way" ...... clearly, also a big faux-pas, and one that will almost certainly cost them a lot of business. The very notion of
a) developing a product that is superior to that offered by many of your competitors, and then
b) promoting it (and its superiority) widely within the media to your target audience.....well ......it's a pretty dirty tactic in my book.

I don't see any other innovative, global organisations behaving like that. And it's high time Emirates put a stop to it.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
I personally think this could be where EK is going badly wrong. Based on what you say about the way Etihad handles things, Emirates have a lot to learn : they obviously need to hire 'elegant' people to front their ads (and also to respond - whether working to a script or not - to any questions that might crop up at launch events). Using inelegant, highly unpopular women such as Jennifer Aniston just won't cut it I say.

As for rubbing up the competition "the wrong way" ...... clearly, also a big faux-pas, and one that will almost certainly cost them a lot of business. The very notion of
a) developing a product that is superior to that offered by many of your competitors, and then
b) promoting it (and its superiority) widely within the media to your target audience.....well ......it's a pretty dirty tactic in my book.

I don't see any other innovative, global organisations behaving like that. And it's high time Emirates put a stop to it.
And to expand on that in the same vein as your excellent points, Emirates needs to stop accusing other airlines of wholesale and longstanding fraud and to stop impugning the personal integrity and honor of senior corporate officers of competitors.

It's no wonder that Emirates has such a poor reputation amongst well, everyone, after lowering itself to launching flimsy, even baseless, slurs and that it's no wonder the targets of their negative and aggressive PR campaigns have retaliated with their own responses and statements to set the record straight given such an acrimonious and personal spat.

Clearly the only acceptable and decent thing for EK to do is to put the product up on the internet so people can view it without any bias, preferably through a trusted 3rd party like Google.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:22 pm

Second Thoughts

Its an amusing advert no doubt, but then I do wonder if Emirates will alienate its economy passengers who obviously realise that showers and bars are not available to them.

For the premium passengers its of course a great advert reinforcing how good the hard product is so no problems there.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:35 pm

a) developing a product that is superior to that offered by many of your competitors,
Have you checked latest airlineratings.com ratings!

EK is #2 in First class and didn't even make it to top 10 in Business,Premium Economy and Economy categories.

US3 Business class seats are flatbed EK's are not. US3 are rapidly redoing their cabins and EK is taking brand new planes with decade old design.

Y is run-of-the-mill at best, "nothing to write home about"

That leaves with this...

b) promoting it (and its superiority) widely within the media to your target audience
In reality product is not superior, hence

well ......it's a pretty dirty tactic in my book.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by avcritic
Have you checked latest airlineratings.com ratings!

EK is #2 in First class and didn't even make it to top 10 in Business,Premium Economy and Economy categories.

US3 Business class seats are flatbed EK's are not. US3 are rapidly redoing their cabins and EK is taking brand new planes with decade old design.

Y is run-of-the-mill at best, "nothing to write home about"

That leaves with this...

In reality product is not superior, hence
LOL! Have you ever even flown on an EK A380 or 77L? If the answer is no, then you're in no position to comment.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
LOL! Have you ever even flown on an EK A380 or 77L? If the answer is no, then you're in no position to comment.
Well we don't know whether avcritic has or has not flown in an Emirates A380, but either way there certainly does appear to be some misunderstanding on his/her part where this particular thread & my own earlier post are concerned.

The thread is all about the new Emirates commercial featuring Jennifer Aniston (clue being in the thread's title). And the commercial in question focuses - right from the opening scene - on the shower facilities which are available (as the ad highlights in writing) only in First class.

And hence my earlier post (much of which avcritic has kindly gone to the trouble of re-quoting) also focuses on that same First class product, and its superiority when compared to many other airlines - as highlighted by airlineratings.com, of which avcritic is clearly an avid reader.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:03 am
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
as highlighted by airlineratings.com, of which avcritic is clearly an avid reader.
I can't say I've ever read or visited airlineratings.com.

Is it as reliable as skytrax?; a website whereby I am of the opinion that their ratings not be taken too seriously. Etihad didn't decide to remove any association with this website for no reason....
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:05 am
HB7
Original Poster

Hahahahahahaha LOL!! I think that's gold!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:12 am

I think the idea is a nice extension of the previous ads, but execution could have been better:
- the plane in the first half of the commercial actually looked quite comfortable
- the idea of asking for circling another hour is a bit silly

But I am sure the ad will work in the U.S. market. It is interesting that Aniston agreed to play in this ad, she is now probably disliked by quite a few Americans as spokesperson for a "devilish" Gulf carrier. I bet she gets compensated very well.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:56 am
HB7
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
It is interesting that Aniston agreed to play in this ad, she is now probably disliked by quite a few Americans as spokesperson for a "devilish" Gulf carrier. I bet she gets compensated very well.
I don't think anyone would actually care and probably realize it is a funny ad.

Her compensation is a cool $5 million
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by HB7
I don't think anyone would actually care and probably realize it is a funny ad.

Her compensation is a cool $5 million
That is a ridiculous amount of money. More than female movie stars make in most movies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.