Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The new Emirates commercial featuring Jennifer Aniston

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new Emirates commercial featuring Jennifer Aniston

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I can't believe how over analysed the advert is on here!

1. It's funny and pokes fun at us carriers who don't have a shower or bar.

2. Is aspirational - fly EK and one day you may experience that luxury which you will never get on us carriers.

3. I think previous ads have shown the suite and showers and I'm guessing the next ad will show the new suites off...(then there will be complaints that only X or y planes have them!)
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by m3red
I can't believe how over analysed the advert is on here!

1. It's funny and pokes fun at us carriers who don't have a shower or bar.

2. Is aspirational - fly EK and one day you may experience that luxury which you will never get on us carriers.

3. I think previous ads have shown the suite and showers and I'm guessing the next ad will show the new suites off...(then there will be complaints that only X or y planes have them!)
This is what we do here, we overanalyze things, what do you think this site is about? There are posters here that discuss and refer to individual aircrafts by their tail numbers and describe how each of them has a different personality, we have taken the crazy to another level, lol...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:53 am

While we are discussing over-analyzing things, when can we expect hand crated white paper on ASMs ie., Available Shower Miles (or) Available Shower Minutes. I am sure they are over analyzing to make those numbers look huge.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:44 am

I have to emphasize, it's a nice and refreshing ad. I saw nothing wrong in it except for that abstract image. I once experienced a nightmare while flying EK -asleep of course, and in my view Aniston portrayed well that 'home n safe' reaction upon waking up. Analogous to Bullock's reaction at the ability to walk/touch land at the end of 'Gravity'.

It's a well packaged short story, I like how the showers are kept out of sight.

Bet there's a longer or even a different version with more shots/different dialogues that we may or may not ever see.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by edy4eva

Bet there's a longer or even a different version with more shots/different dialogues that we may or may not ever see.
Oh you're almost certainly right. And perhaps slightly different versions to be shown in different markets....?

I would imagine (others who may know for sure will confirm ....?) that an ad of this length would have taken at least one very long day of shooting 'on set' - and quite possibly more.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:33 am

Haha this was great!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:01 am

If there is one thing that this ad has thrown up, there is a disturbing fascination on FT with showers on planes

I guess EK will forever be known as the shower airline!

Perhaps that was the point though

As m3red says, there is a lot of overanalysis here - no reasonable person is going to expect that every seat on the aircraft is like the one that Jennifer Aniston wakes up in and that every plane has showers for everyone

I mean, if we are going to hang EK for that, all car companies should stop advertising their top of the range models but say "starting from xxxxx dollars" - or all airlines should stop advertising their newest planes and hard product when their fleet only has a few of them and substitute aircraft as and when required. I mean, SQ should have been sued for advertising the hell out of their first A380 considering they only had one plane in service at launch, as well as ANA with the 787-8.

I'm sure their lawyers and ad agencies are fully briefed on all of that though - I just enjoyed the story. I think DYWKIA's post in 57 is the most en pointe, as it were, though
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
If there is one thing that this ad has thrown up, there is a disturbing fascination on FT with showers on planes

I guess EK will forever be known as the shower airline!

Perhaps that was the point though

Well, I guess that (ie EK being 'forever known as the shower airline') all depends on how things pan out in the future.

Showers onboard may become more commonplace on several carriers OR they might end up being eventually discarded by the industry, including EK, in a commercially-driven quest to add yet more seat space.

So many of these innovations come & go over time. Various airlines used to offer spacious bars/lounge areas (& subsequently abandoned) long before EK revived the idea. In some ways the showers, which - as you say - have thrown up a disturbing fascination on FT !! - are simply the latest fad.

Certain innovations do of course become valued, permanent fixtures in one form or another. It's now well over 20 years since the very first 'personal' video screens were fitted (NorthWest Airlines IIRC ....??) and it's pretty hard to imagine the possibility of them ever being removed ....!!

Etihad generated a lot of publicity with the launch of The Residence. But in some ways there is little that is truly new under the sun : whilst not directly comparable, I wonder how many folk can recall that some Philippine Airlines 747's actually provided 'self-contained' double-beds within the upper deck in their First .......
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Back to the ad : funny to notice that the commercial aired in Dubai says "lounge" instead of "bar" ... religious influence maybe ...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ioto1902
Back to the ad : funny to notice that the commercial aired in Dubai says "lounge" instead of "bar" ... religious influence maybe ...
I've been searching for that on YouTube but cannot seem to find the other version. I would definitely guess there is a cultural/religious influence to that.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
I've been searching for that on YouTube but cannot seem to find the other version. I would definitely guess there is a cultural/religious influence to that.
Go to the EK AE website, click the link on the front page and a pop up embedded Youtube video with the lounge wording in the script appears:

http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/

I have to say, I'm quite enjoying the crew memes posted on various social media sites about the ad, ha!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Go to the EK AE website, click the link on the front page and a pop up embedded Youtube video with the lounge wording in the script appears:
Thanks.
Noticed another difference. In addition to the bar/lounge change, her martini is gone, replaced by a glass that could be juice.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks.
Noticed another difference. In addition to the bar/lounge change, her martini is gone, replaced by a glass that could be juice.
Also the drinks on the shelf in the J bar are replaced with coloured bottles.

Actually, the hospitality business worker in me thinks they are Bottlegreen Cordial or Pressé bottles with labels removed...but I probably spend too much time in bars...

http://www.bottlegreendrinks.com/products/

Note: I am in no way affiliated with that drinks company
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

I have to say, I'm quite enjoying the crew memes posted on various social media sites about the ad, ha!
Thanks for the link! Definitely tailored to remove references to alcohol, presumably for certain markets. Doesn't really detract much from the ad though IMO. This is probably my favorite airline ad since the VS 'feeling good' ad from 2010.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Folks have pointed out the old/cramped suite in the commercial, but it's selling the soft product as much as the hard product. At the beginning of the ad, she was dealing with the inattentive crew of a generic domestic crew. Near the end, she is dealing with an attentive EK crewmember.

For those who regularly travel in F, only EK gives them the potential of an in-flight shower. Yes, only their A380s offer this luxury as opposed to their B777s & A340s, but none of their competitors' A380s offer it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.