Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK MBNA credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Thanks for that - I was told by a colleague that Amex carries some sort of cover for travel and guarantee if things go wrong but the guys over at MBNA don't have the specifics to give to me over the phone. This would be ideal as you say in case if things go wrong with purchases.

I was told Amex also carries warranty for electronic products i.e. if you purchase a laptop with an Amex card, your automatically entitled to some sort of cover. If this is the case, why o why didn't I move to credit cards sooner!

Thanks Doc.
I did extensive research when my airline dumped me in London and I had to find my own way home.

You are covered if you book with a credit card ( or even visa debit cards !!!,). Amex is great of you have a dispute with the retailer. They are more proactive than visa or mastercard.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by LE4603
Does it only give you lounge access in the country that your card is based? i.e. if I get a UK card, then I can only access their UK lounges. Or would it allow me to access lounges in other countries.... am just thinking about a forthcoming trip to Africa.

Good point about the additional card. I was thinking for the odd time my girlfriend flies with me (non-EK), that we would have to pay £15 for guest access, but yeah, at that rate it would make sense to just get her a card.... is there a minimum usage for the cards?
No minimum usuage in the UK AFAIK. Valid in other countries as well. My friend just msgd me from a lounge at DXB (He's gold but was not flying EK )

He said that he makes a purchase every few months just to keep them happy.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I did extensive research when my airline dumped me in London and I had to find my own way home.

You are covered if you book with a credit card ( or even visa debit cards !!!,).
What sort of cover do you mean?

Is it Section 75 and Chargeback cover or do they provide practical help with re-booking, accommodation etc?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:56 pm

Got the 150 GBP off your next flight discount code by email today.

Glad that I signed up for the elite card instead of the regular version as it seems that you get the 150 GBP discount voucher each year( provided you renew by paying the annual fee)

The elite card will therefore pay for itself if you fly EK in J or F at least once a year.

Posting the the discount voucher T & C

Terms & ConditionsEligibility and proposition details

You must be a resident of the UK, hold an Emirates Skywards Elite Credit Card Account and have paid the Emirates Skywards Elite Credit Card annual fee of GBP150 (the “Fee”) to be eligible for the discount.
You can claim the discount until your next year’s annual fee is due. If you choose to renew your fee, you will qualify for the discount again.
The discount is valid on Emirates First Class or Business Class airline tickets booked via the dedicated link: www.emirates.com/mbna-offer (the “Emirates Website”) and paid using your Emirates Skywards Elite Credit Card Account.
The discount is valid for one-way and return travel originating from the UK to any destination on the Emirates network. Please refer to the flight schedule from your departure city.
The discount will be applied to the ticket price at the time of booking.
The discount is limited to the purchase of one ticket per email address per Primary Cardholder, subject to successful email address verification during booking using the dedicated link which MBNA will provide.
The promotional code can only be used against one booking. It is unique to you and is non-transferable.
The flight can only be booked in the name of the primary credit card holder (“Primary Cardholder”) or a party that has the same family name of the Primary Cardholder (this name should be reflected in official travel documents). Any Emirates First Class or Business Class airline ticket for other persons under the same booking will not be eligible for the promotion.
This promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion, including the companion reward offer.
Emirates Conditions of Carriage apply in relation to all Emirates airline tickets.
Airfares

All tickets are subject to the applicable government and airport taxes quoted at the time of booking.
Flight restrictions may apply to certain airfares. Please check ‘Fare Conditions’ from an online quote to view all fare rules.
The discount is valid on Emirates flights only. It is subject to seat availability at the time of booking and may be withdrawn by Emirates at their sole discretion and without prior notice.
Amendment and cancellation penalties may apply for date changes/rerouting. Please call Emirates on 0844 800 2777 for assistance.
Travel Restrictions

Valid for Emirates airline departures from the UK for travel to Emirates destinations during the promotion term.
Booking and travel dates are as per the ticket purchased by the Primary Cardholder. Travel restrictions are as outlined in the Fare Conditions agreed by the Primary Cardholder at the time of booking.
Payment

The discount will be a one-time deduction off the ticket price for bookings made by the Primary Cardholder valid only in connection with Qualifying Tickets.
Refunds

Once an Emirates ticket is purchased, the discount cannot be refunded.
Ticket refund restrictions are outlined in the ‘Fare Conditions’ agreed by the Primary Cardholder at the time of booking.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
What sort of cover do you mean?

Is it Section 75 and Chargeback cover or do they provide practical help with re-booking, accommodation etc?
Section 75 and chargeback only I'm afraid
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Here in Dubai I finally got a citi skywards Visa card.

I get skywards points weekly in my account on ek before I've even paid the bill! Wish I'd got one as soon as I'd arrived!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Here in Dubai I finally got a citi skywards Visa card.

I get skywards points weekly in my account on ek before I've even paid the bill! Wish I'd got one as soon as I'd arrived!
Weekly skywards is brill. Don't think they have to worry too much about people not paying back credit card bills though unlike the Uk
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Weekly skywards is brill. Don't think they have to worry too much about people not paying back credit card bills though unlike the Uk
and they gave me a 122,500 AED limit!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by m3red
and they gave me a 122,500 AED limit!
Why would you think you need to tell the internet that
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
there's a Visa and AMEx card they give you i think.
Yes - you get both an Amex and a Visa card linked to the same account with the same credit limit. You get more miles per £1 if you send on the Amex, but not all places take Amex. I've already got mine ,0)
AND you get 25% discount on the purchase of additional skywards miles - so if you need extra for an upgrade it makes sense - I was going to transfer some of my miles to my daughter's account but it makes more sense to just keep them in my account and buy some for hers once the discount is applied!

Last edited by Northumberland Lady; Sep 12, 2013 at 10:13 am Reason: Additional info
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:13 pm
m27

I've booked twice using my Amex, for the first was credited double the miles (non-Elite card), second booking was as an additional cardholder and it should credit soon once the statement comes through
Old Sep 12, 2013, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady
AND you get 25% discount on the purchase of additional skywards miles - so if you need extra for an upgrade it makes sense - I was going to transfer some of my miles to my daughter's account but it makes more sense to just keep them in my account and buy some for hers once the discount is applied!
Can you buy and credit to another Skywards account?

Even with the discount transferring will be cheaper surely.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Can you buy and credit to another Skywards account?

Even with the discount transferring will be cheaper surely.
You wouldn't buy then transfer - you would just buy them for that account.
Yes it works out slightly cheaper to just do a transfer, but then you would of course loose those miles to the other account, whereas for just a few more $'s you would get to keep your own miles - if any of that makes sense?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:30 am

What I didn't know till last week was that there was a 25000/ year TOTAL limit for buying AND Receiving miles per account.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Sep 13, 2013 at 1:38 am
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:24 am

What I didn't know till last week was that there was a 25000/ year TOTAL limit for buying AND Receiving miles per account.
Yes that rule has been in force for quite a few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.