Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK MBNA credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:51 pm

Hello.

Just to you know that I purchased miles using the 25% discount online. Thankfully they now have a system that actually works!
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Northumberland Lady
Thanks I will try that!
As you say I'm also amazed that no one seems to have a clue!
Did you get much luck?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:05 am

No, nothing! Quite cross.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Hey guys. I take it that as a holder of the Premier Duo Avios from TSB I won't be eligible for the Emirates cards right?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: EK Blue,VS,BA, Krisflyer, Hilton Gold , Radisson Gold , Hyatt Gold.
shame we are unable to get this card in Ireland
Old Oct 10, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by porsche911
shame we are unable to get this card in ireand
If you have a family member in the UK with a skywards account and a good credit history, then they can apply and make you an additional card holder. Only worth the effort if you spend money in Sterling though since you will be hit with the transaction fees if you spend in Euros.But not a bad idea if you travel to the UK often.

Moreover the primary cardholder will be getting the miles for your spend as well but they can upgrade you using the miles in their account.AFAIK there are no credit checks on the additional card holder (I.e You) but obviously it has to be someone who trusts you as they
Have to pay for your spend as well.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
That's a key point you make ukdoctor re transaction fees. All non-sterling purchases are hit with a 3% loading (2.99% to be specific ...) by MBNA and so the card is not the ideal payment mechanism when travelling outside UK. Plus, it's not unknown for some merchants to also add their own fee when accepting CC's - not least if it's an Amex (assuming of course they actually accept Amex at all Hence the provision by MBNA of a Visa card as 'back-up').

The Amex card generates more Skywards miles - 2 miles for every £1 spent - but once you get involved with transaction fees the benefit is diluted vs. the cost of buying any necessary miles separately under the 25k calendar year limit.

And so whilst I had originally intended to use the Emirates/MBNA card for various trips over the next few months in order to rack up miles, I will most probably rely more on my newly-acquired Halifax Clarity card, which has zero loading, whether for purchases OR cash withdrawals.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
That's a key point you make ukdoctor re transaction fees. All non-sterling purchases are hit with a 3% loading (2.99% to be specific ...) by MBNA and so the card is not the ideal payment mechanism when travelling outside UK. Plus, it's not unknown for some merchants to also add their own fee when accepting CC's - not least if it's an Amex (assuming of course they actually accept Amex at all Hence the provision by MBNA of a Visa card as 'back-up').

The Amex card generates more Skywards miles - 2 miles for every £1 spent - but once you get involved with transaction fees the benefit is diluted vs. the cost of buying any necessary miles separately under the 25k calendar year limit.

And so whilst I had originally intended to use the Emirates/MBNA card for various trips over the next few months in order to rack up miles, I will most probably rely more on my newly-acquired Halifax Clarity card, which has zero loading, whether for purchases OR cash withdrawals.
For UK transactions AMEX is much better than a few years ago and is more widely accepted. Almost all major chains take it now. It is also now being accepted by several smaller retailers as well.

The great thing about Amex is the occasional cash back promo's that they have. Sadly they ate mostly London based, but you get credit back into your Account if you do a certain minimum spend with a select group of shops.

I had been to London for a week for work and got around £25 credit back by just eating out/few essential purchases etc (most if the transactions were for £15-£20)
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by crisdean
Hey guys. I take it that as a holder of the Premier Duo Avios from TSB I won't be eligible for the Emirates cards right?
Why would you think that? People often have several credit cards from diffferent providers.

Originally Posted by subject2load

Similar mix of cards as myself and I agree with not using the EK cards overseas.

The card I would add to my collection is the Metro Bank debit card to avoid any fees whatsoever on the Clarity Card.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
Why would you think that? People often have several credit cards from diffferent providers.

Similar mix of cards as myself and I agree with not using the EK cards overseas.

The card I would add to my collection is the Metro Bank debit card to avoid any fees whatsoever on the Clarity Card.
The best thing is 4 skywards per £ spend on EK tickets with the AMEX version of the EK skywards(with the elite version).I don't think its possible with any other card.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ft101

Oh ok thought I can't use multiple MBNA cards. Cool stuff! Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 4:49 pm

When I applied for mine I already had an Mbna platinum and gold card - both with ridiculously high credit limits that I would never use, they accepted my application immediately but the credit limit was then reduced on one of the cards - as it turned out I really didn't need that many cards so I just cancelled the ones I wouldn't be using - but had I kept them all I would have had 4 of their cards - so its really not an issue apparently - so long as you have sufficient finances in the first place.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: Golden Circle, Skywards
I'm confused, the Premier Duo Avios from TSB isn't an MBNA card is it? Even if it were, it wouldn't matter as you'd most likely get the card if your credit profile is good
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
How long after statemnt closing date do the miles and bonus miles post to your account?

Its been over a week and still not posted, seems MBNA or EK are rather slow at this.

Also in regards to the £150 Fare discount, how long after statement do you receive this code?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
How long after statemnt closing date do the miles and bonus miles post to your account?

Its been over a week and still not posted, seems MBNA or EK are rather slow at this.

Also in regards to the £150 Fare discount, how long after statement do you receive this code?
Are you sure that you gave the right skywards number. My statement closes on the 27th and the miles are in my account by the 1st or the 2nd of the next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.