Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK MBNA credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Seat64A
.....or maybe those no-foreign-exchange loading card companies realise very few of their customers will actually make much use of their cards abroad . . . .
I don't think that's the case. From my experience these cards (there aren't many) are mainly taken out for the sole purpose of using abroad.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Indeed they are.

I was told by the person who approved my own application - which I made shortly before spending a lengthy spell of time overseas - that the vast majority of those taking out the card (Halifax Clarity) do so with the specific objective of using it for the very same purpose as I was intending, ie non-sterling expenditure.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
Sorry to advise that (as per clause 8) the £150 discount "cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, including the companion reward offer"

As regards miles : I'm pretty certain that, unfortunately, no miles will accrue on the reward offer, given that this would not be a revenue ticket ; but of course EK will confirm one way or the other.

Finally (just to depress you further !) bear in mind that the taxes and quaintly-termed "carrier-imposed charges" on a straightforward return in J from LHR-DXB can be well in excess of £600
Oh my God! So, I just checked these carrier imposed charges and taxes, so I am still paying £700 for those, which is close to half the price of the ticket I was looking at.

So basically, to get a 50% discount off a second ticket, I have to spend £15k on their card, pay £150, get no points, am bound by some other ridiculous terms and conditions and will likely lose it if change the date?

What's the up side?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
The cards are nicely-designed (especially the Amex one) so they look quite pretty
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:05 pm

Crazy to think that I have earned 80,000 miles since I got this card 9 months ago!

Another 20,000 miles to earn and that's 2 return journeys from London Heathrow to Dubai for an upgrade.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by jamjaruk
Crazy to think that I have earned 80,000 miles since I got this card 9 months ago!

Another 20,000 miles to earn and that's 2 return journeys from London Heathrow to Dubai for an upgrade.

Wow that's pretty impressive!

So, if I can get a card for myself, I can sign my wife up as an additional cardholder.

Is there a way we can both earn the miles?

Only after a year, any miles would attach to me presumably and to book an upgrade for the Mrs or for the kids will involve transfers of miles and additional cost to their Skywards accounts won't it?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by manutd123
Wow that's pretty impressive!

So, if I can get a card for myself, I can sign my wife up as an additional cardholder.

Is there a way we can both earn the miles?

Only after a year, any miles would attach to me presumably and to book an upgrade for the Mrs or for the kids will involve transfers of miles and additional cost to their Skywards accounts won't it?
Mrsukdoctor is an additional card holder to my account. She has also been sent an Amex and a Visa card. The cards have exactly the same number as mine but has her name on it.

So you basically end up with one credit account and 2cards(amex and visa) Well technically 4 cards if you include the additonal cards.All spend on these 4 cards comes to your skywards account as skywards miles.

Regarding upgrades, you don't have to transfer miles to upgrade as you can upgrade any other ticket as well using your account. I have upgraded my parents my wife etc without any issues.

There is no additional charge from EK for upgrades on most sectors . However you have to pay the excess APD on flights departing the UK but not on flights arriving to the UK

I.e better upgrade DXB LHR than LHR DXB
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Mrsukdoctor is an additional card holder to my account. She has also been sent an Amex and a Visa card. The cards have exactly the same number as mine but has her name on it.

So you basically end up with one credit account and 2cards(amex and visa) Well technically 4 cards if you include the additonal cards.All spend on these 4 cards comes to your skywards account as skywards miles.

Regarding upgrades, you don't have to transfer miles to upgrade as you can upgrade any other ticket as well using your account. I have upgraded my parents my wife etc without any issues.

There is no additional charge from EK for upgrades on most sectors . However you have to pay the excess APD on flights departing the UK but not on flights arriving to the UK

I.e better upgrade DXB LHR than LHR DXB
Thanks, ok so I have placed the order and added my wife as an additional card holder.

Regarding miles for upgrades for other people, I'm a bit confused.

In December we upgraded the family via miles. When it came to our daughter, we wanted to use her uncle's miles and Emirates said it would cost $25 per 1000 miles to transfer to her SkySurfers account.

And only then could she use the miles for upgrade.

It sounds that we did not need to incur the cost for the transfer, as her uncle could have just upgraded her, is that right? He was not travelling.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
It sounds that we did not need to incur the cost for the transfer, as her uncle could have just upgraded her, is that right? He was not travelling.
If her uncle had all of the miles required for the upgrade in his account, then yes, he could have just upgraded her. The miles only need to be transferred if the account does no have enough miles balance for an upgrade and so you need to transfer miles from anther account.

Note that miles can come from any account, but all the miles required for upgrading a pax need to come from a *single* account.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jackiedada
If her uncle had all of the miles required for the upgrade in his account, then yes, he could have just upgraded her. The miles only need to be transferred if the account does no have enough miles balance for an upgrade and so you need to transfer miles from anther account.

Note that miles can come from any account, but all the miles required for upgrading a pax need to come from a *single* account.

Right ok, so as he did have enough miles to upgrade my daughter, I will chalk that up to bad luck on that occasion.

With these credit cards though, as I will be the one generating all the miles, I can action the upgrades for the kids and wifey, is there a limit as to how many I can do at one time?

How do the miles accumulate? On a monthly basis?

That is, if I spend £1,000 on an Amex card, will I receive 2000 miles in my Skywards at the end of that month, and so on?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
is there a limit as to how many I can do at one time?
As long as you have the miles in your account, you should be able to upgrade as many as you want, subject to upgrade availability.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:14 pm

Right ok, so as he did have enough miles to upgrade my daughter, I will chalk that up to bad luck on that occasion.

With these credit cards though, as I will be the one generating all the miles, I can action the upgrades for the kids and wifey, is there a limit as to how many I can do at one time?

How do the miles accumulate? On a monthly basis?

That is, if I spend £1,000 on an Amex card, will I receive 2000 miles in my Skywards at the end of that month, and so on?
My monthly credit card statement is generated on the 27th of each month. Along with my spend it tells me how many miles I have earned . The miles are credited into my skywards account a few days later.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:40 pm

Have received my credit cards, can someone tell me how long the £150 discount lasts. How long before it expires?

Also, if I spend £15k in the first few months, do I redeem the companion ticket immediately? Or do I receive it at the end of the year?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:00 am

Have received my credit cards, can someone tell me how long the £150 discount lasts. How long before it expires?

Also, if I spend £15k in the first few months, do I redeem the companion ticket immediately? Or do I receive it at the end of the year?
The companion ticket is valid for 12 months from the date of issue (They will send you an email) as soon as you achieve the 15k spend. Remember that there should be a saver award availability for your companion and your tickets will have to be booked in Flex. You end up paying a fair bit in taxes for the companion fare as well. You might end up with only a small saving compared to paying for two saver tickets in the first place!

The £150 discount is given every year as long as you keep the card active ( this basically cancels the £150 fee as long as you buy at least one F or J ticket every year). Its valid till the due date of your next years membership fee.

see the T&C here

http://www.emirates.com/uk/english/i...onditions.aspx

Last edited by ukdoctor; Mar 30, 2014 at 3:07 am
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:44 am

T&Cs:
You can claim the discount until your next year’s annual fee is due. If you choose to renew your fee, you will qualify for the discount again.
The flight can only be booked in the name of the primary credit card holder (“Primary Cardholder”) or a party that has the same family name of the Primary Cardholder

So, I can buy a ticket and my wife can enjoy the companion reward.

Then I can use the £150 discount towards my daughter's ticket, as it applies to family members also, as long as we have the same family surname.

Just looking at my BHX-DXB trip in August, the outbound is eligible/there is availability for upgrade with miles.

Problem is I need the 10k bonus miles in my account already so I can purchase the rest and upgrade, if only they could fast track it so I don't miss out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.