Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK MBNA credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Not in the EU - the interchange fee cap makes it infeasible for a card issuer to buy points.

You might see a card with a large annual fee giving things like silver status etc. though.

Existing customers will likely have a 1-3 year period to allow earnings and use then will be closed.
Come on, Brexit, hurry up!!

Strange, I had an email from Etihad/MBNA telling me about my card and its benefits today - why would they send that when they seem to no longer want them?

Disappointed that the cards are gone - I was planning to move over to the Emirates on when the next points bonus came along!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by mozs11
Now that the MBNA airline scheme with Emirates is finished. Can we expect to see EK partnering up with another card provider or something simmilar for spending to earn miles?
Originally Posted by Recondite
Disappointed that the cards are gone - I was planning to move over to the Emirates on when the next points bonus came along!
Have I missed something? The linked article showed it was still available and I can still see it on the Emirates UK website. Maybe not for long, but still there just now.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
Have I missed something? The linked article showed it was still available and I can still see it on the Emirates UK website. Maybe not for long, but still there just now.
You have. Sorry about poor paste below, on mobile. But yeah, no longer taking applications - I only saw this today

"

MBNA

MBNA credit cards are packed full of features and benefits, which is why they’ve been voted Moneyfacts Consumer Credit Card Provider for four years running.

Important Update

Please note we are no longer accepting any new applications for the Emirates Skywards Credit Card Account and the Emirates Skywards Elite Credit Card Account from 7 November 2017.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:38 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Is the UK MBNA card better than the UAE issued EK counterparts?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DatBoi
Is the UK MBNA card better than the UAE issued EK counterparts?
Not really that good, it’s gone now, I’m just waiting to be told it won’t renew.

The companion voucher offer only works well if you don’t use it then you save money, because using it means higher fare and different tickets and impossible to both upgrade.

At least the points post promptly and the UK earning rate was better than the UAE Citibank one as long as you used the Amex card.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards - GOLD, Virgin Atlantic, Avios
Free companion fare on MBNA card query

Hi,

I'm currently using an Emirates Elite card and had a few queries regarding companion fares. I'm nearing the £15K spend limit so I'm curious as to how the 'free' companion fare works.

I'm assuming Emirates will email me when I have one to redeem.

Do I have to use my companion flight within a certain period of time?
And are there any restrictions on which airports I can fly from? (I get discount on emirates holidays yet departures are only UK based)

I've read up that flights are restricted to economy and business so unfortunately I won't be able to fly first.

If I pay a full business fare and still have to pay taxes for the 2nd fare does it work out much cheaper?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:19 pm

I wouldn't bother. It always works out cheaper to buy two saver fares in business/economy than to buy one flex fare (which is required under companion fare rules) and pay taxes and fees for the "free" ticket.

you can redeem it anytime within 12 months of your email. No restrictions on airports and cannot be used in conjunction with another offer.
Will08 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
mozs11 is spot on with “I wouldn’t bother”

If you search through past MBNA-related threads, you’ll find various discussions on this and the overwhelming consensus is that it’s really not worth the hassle. The small-print T&C’s are so restrictive that it is indeed almost certainly better to simply book the two cheapest available standard tickets in whichever class you need. In short, this ‘offer’ is perhaps the least beneficial aspect of the card ..... a classic case of “no free lunch”.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by subject2load
mozs11 is spot on with “I wouldn’t bother”

If you search through past MBNA-related threads, you’ll find various discussions on this and the overwhelming consensus is that it’s really not worth the hassle. The small-print T&C’s are so restrictive that it is indeed almost certainly better to simply book the two cheapest available standard tickets in whichever class you need. In short, this ‘offer’ is perhaps the least beneficial aspect of the card ..... a classic case of “no free lunch”.
I worked for me . I used to travel very frequently on EK . Mrs.ukdoctor does not. Tier miles mattered for me but not for mrs.ukdoctor.

If your companion is not bothered about the tier miles (only travels once in while ) and if you have planned well in advance then it can save a few 100 quid.

Even after considering the value of the skywards miles Mrs. Ukdoctor could have got on the saver , the flex +companion worked for us.

At least that's what I found when calculating the diffference between 2 savers and a flex +companion

Restrictions are a problem as the D seats have to be available for the dates that you book the flex ticket .

On the other hand I managed to upgrade the companion award J ticket to F using miles (normally this cannot be done ) every single time ( did this 3 times I think )

However my info is over a year old now as I haven't been on EK for nearly a year now. :-(
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

OK - the end is nigh... Just got a notification that the MBNA EK cards are being withdrawn from 21st July 2018. I need to get some big spend in by then

I'll be cancelling my cards and using an Amex Platinum for the time being. That's a 1-1 conversion, but better than nothing.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
OK - the end is nigh... Just got a notification that the MBNA EK cards are being withdrawn from 21st July 2018.
That's strange. My current cards expire 09/18 and I was just recently sent a new set of cards valid until 09/2020...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
I just got the letter too :-(

Apparently current cards are going to stop working on 20th July.

Annoyingly though, their offer of a replacement won’t arrive until August :-/
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I received a letter today. Put onto a 0.5% cashback deal automatically. I just called the close the account. Watching flying EK much anyway recently so was doing most of my spending on other cards.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
Apparently current cards are going to stop working on 20th July.

Annoyingly though, their offer of a replacement won’t arrive until August :-/
No, you can continue using the existing card and it will act like the new Horizon card until the new cards are sent out in August.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Thanks DYKWIA.

Anyone know any news about a new Emirates UK bank deal? Is converting MR points the best option we have in the U.K. now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.