Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK MBNA credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
48K miles (and before you've actually boarded the aircraft ..!) - that's a nice juicy credit to your Skywards a/c .....
but given the EK devaluation of miles which happened about 3 days later, i was pretty disappointed.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I have never had problems getting miles from MBNA

Also don't forget to go via Quidco and click through to emirates website.

2 to 2.5% of the base fare cashback tracks through after a few months.
£20 or £30 cash back on a £3k purchase is not much but it pays for a few pints in the local.;-)
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Also don't forget to go via Quidco and click through to emirates website.

2 to 2.5% of the base fare cashback tracks through after a few months.
£20 or £30 cash back on a £3k purchase is not much but it pays for a few pints in the local.;-)
Yes, I did it through Quidco. I didn't realise it's just the base fare, so taxes aren't included.

It also only tracked at 2% rather than the advertised 2.5%

So, £40 on the £2000 base fare.

I've had about £1300 cashback in the couple of years I've been using Quidco. Not bad

Cheers
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: EK G̶o̶l̶d̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ 'boarding zone F', IHG
I got the £150 discount unsolicited (email from EK shortly after MBNA took the annual membership), but I'm currently fighting MBNA for the free Companion Reward ticket offer for spends of more than £15k in a membership year (mostly work travel expenses!) Responses range from 'sorry, you're not eligible' to 'we have no record of this offer'.

The case continues.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:33 pm

I really hope they never reduce the 4x and 2x for American Express earnings.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ashivraj
I got the £150 discount unsolicited (email from EK shortly after MBNA took the annual membership), but I'm currently fighting MBNA for the free Companion Reward ticket offer for spends of more than £15k in a membership year (mostly work travel expenses!) Responses range from 'sorry, you're not eligible' to 'we have no record of this offer'.

The case continues.
Are you sure that you have the elite version of the card?. If so the t&c is very clear on the offer.

Is all your spend in the UK?. Were you trying to use the offer for ex uk flights.
Also check your spam folder/ all mails if you use gmail.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: EK G̶o̶l̶d̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ 'boarding zone F', IHG
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Are you sure that you have the elite version of the card?. If so the t&c is very clear on the offer.

Is all your spend in the UK?. Were you trying to use the offer for ex uk flights.
Also check your spam folder/ all mails if you use gmail.
Definitely the Elite card and I've read through the T&C currently showing on their website (https://www.mbna.co.uk/compare-credi...kywards-elite/) which I believe are the same as when I signed up (~18 months ago). Nothing in Junk etc - I had to fish out the £150 discount from Junk and I check it frequently.

Spend is UK and abroad but the T&C states everything except cash advance and money/balance transfers. I haven't received the offer yet so can't use it, but yes the plan is ex-UK.

Today they've again denied that this was ever an offer for me, so I'm going to have to find the original paperwork and statements from day one so I can check for certain.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: Aer Club Concierge, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by ashivraj
Definitely the Elite card and I've read through the T&C currently showing on their website (https://www.mbna.co.uk/compare-credi...kywards-elite/) which I believe are the same as when I signed up (~18 months ago). Nothing in Junk etc - I had to fish out the £150 discount from Junk and I check it frequently.

Spend is UK and abroad but the T&C states everything except cash advance and money/balance transfers. I haven't received the offer yet so can't use it, but yes the plan is ex-UK.

Today they've again denied that this was ever an offer for me, so I'm going to have to find the original paperwork and statements from day one so I can check for certain.
I have an email confirming it if you need it. I'll hopefully hit the £15k threshold this month, will see if i get the companion ticket!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by jamjaruk
I really hope they never reduce the 4x and 2x for American Express earnings.
With the recent EU ruling on credit card charges/merchant fees etc, I really don't think you can rule out the possibility of a change in the point earning ratio at some future stage. Am pretty sure that a number of issuers have already made such changes, whether points and/or cash back etc.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
How good are MBNA in crediting the 4 points per £ on the elite card for Emirates bookings?

I made a fairly hefty purchase earlier this month, and it's showing on my statement as :-

HTTP://W 762195911610- LONDON

I'm not filled with confidence that it will be picked up

Is this how EK purchases normally show?

Cheers
Posted fine

Now, I need to use my 170K stash before the next devaluation.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:10 am

Talking of devaluations ....I'm sure I identified yet another example just recently.

I needed to sort a standalone o/w sector from HKG to BKK. Was about to use some Skywards for an EK award flight..... either 20K in J or 30K in F. Not wonderful, but not too bad.

Next time I looked (ie once my travel dates were sorted and I was ready to book) it was showing 27.5K and 37.5K respectively. That's just unreasonable for such a short sector.

In the end, I used some of my Avios for Royal Jordanian in J. Don't know how they'll stack up vs EK - but the timing suited me and it was a lot 'cheaper' points/miles-wise.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:01 am

Unfortunately am struggling to find any availability to South Africa (any of JNB, CPT or DUR) in D although there is plenty of space in N. Does anyone know if you can book a mixed Y/J ticket for the purposes of the MBNA companion ticket?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
yes you can book a mix as i was offered that when trying to use my voucher to HKG
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
MBNA Skywards Credit Cards

Hello all! First post, but I've read the board before many times!

I have just upped my MBNA credit account from the regular emirates to Elite. Has anyone done this before? The T+C are not clear about the bonus miles. I'd quite like to get the 10k bonus as I'm hoping to upgrade from J to F on an upcoming SYD-GLA flight on Skywards.

D.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:08 am

Hi there, I have the 'Elite' card myself, but did not begin with the standard card in the way that you did.

I would say it's very questionable as to whether or not you will now qualify for the 10K bonus miles offer. My own understanding is that this applies to first time customers only, and the fact that you were already a MBNA cardholder could well exclude you.

One of the (many !) T & C's specifies
"This offer is only available once for every new customer applying for the Emirates Skywards Credit Card Account or Emirates Skywards Elite Credit Card Account"

Can understand why the bonus offer is attractive to you, because without it the annual £150 fee is less palatable ....!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.