Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gordo6
See latest posts for updates and discussion.
Print Wikipost

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:50 pm

JAL planning to start flights to Tokyo

According to this article

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4871038,00.html

Israel and Japan signed a new aviation agreement. At the moment there are no regular scheduled flights due to slot restrictions for El Al at Tokyo - only occasional charters to Osaka.

However, the article notes that several months there was a very senior delegation to Israel (including chairman of board of directors of JAL) and JAL plan to start flights to Tel Aviv - but no date has been given
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by gordo6
There is no need for them due to lower amount of flight during the weekend. And there are only 6 D gates anyway (D4-D9, not counting D1 which is a bus gate and D2-D3 which are temporarily closed as I have mentioned above), so many LY flights end up departing from B or C - not so convenient for the KDL users.
D3 is a bus gate now - I took a bus to an Iberia flight from there last week
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Japan / Israel flights

http://www.calcalist.co.il/local/art...700425,00.html

An agreement signed between ISrael and Japan allowing up to 14 flights weekly for the Israeli and Japanese carriers for flights between the two countries.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by nombody
http://www.calcalist.co.il/local/art...700425,00.html

An agreement signed between ISrael and Japan allowing up to 14 flights weekly for the Israeli and Japanese carriers for flights between the two countries.
I'm guessing this will be filled by ANA and JAL since ELAL doesn't seem to have enough planes or pilots to fly its existing routes!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NYTA
I'm guessing this will be filled by ANA and JAL since ELAL doesn't seem to have enough planes or pilots to fly its existing routes!
So what, they will wet-lease even further
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
If the Tokyo flights happen that'll be quite big news!

And great for me! I've been using Austrian & Turkish for my Japan trips, a non stop would be a welcome change!
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:14 am

Per my post above, JAL has expressed plans to fly direct - though no date given.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:15 pm

Germania starting lights to Nuremberg. http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-germania-to-launch-tel-aviv-nuremberg-flights-1001157955

Not sure why they don't launch more flights to DUS or CGN but oh well.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Germania starting lights to Nuremberg. http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-g...hts-1001157955

Not sure why they don't launch more flights to DUS or CGN but oh well.
As far as I remember they also have a service to HAM. And NUE service is in practice (also) a MUC one. So it does make sense I would say.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:30 am

XL to start all coach A-330 service (up to 408 seats) to TLV from CDG.

https://happyintlv.net/item/round-tr...viv-158-euros/ (English)

http://www.air-journal.fr/2016-10-21...v-5171388.html (French)

Interestingly it runs for Hannukah, but then not in the rest of Jan, Feb or March, then all of April, part of May and June, then all summer Sort of like a "peak time" only airline, but I guess that many seats will take some pressure off of the fares on the other carriers during peak times so good for the traveling public as a whole.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Never heard of them and Wikipedia had like nothing on them. Who are they?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Never heard of them and Wikipedia had like nothing on them. Who are they?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XL_Airways_France
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
It's amazing how many new routes and services are being opened up lately.

I think the real looser here is EL AL.

An order for the Bombardier C-Series CS100 or CS300 would have been a good idea to allow them to profitably serve smaller market and have great capacity flexibility.

oh well.

The 737-900's are quite nice, so I'm not complaining.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: LH SENATOR
If premium airlines such as SQ and CX will start to serve TLV I wonder how facilities such as lounges and inflight catering meet their standards. The Dan lounge fits perfectly to a 3rd world country airport and the inflight catering facilities for the foreign airlines is one of the worst worldwide, probably some stations in some African countries and North Korea can compete. The food served on LH and LX from TLV is just baf and somethimes disgusting...To be fair the catering facility of LY seems to be good but obviously cannot be used by other airlnes.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by LXA350
If premium airlines such as SQ and CX will start to serve TLV I wonder how facilities such as lounges and inflight catering meet their standards. The Dan lounge fits perfectly to a 3rd world country airport and the inflight catering facilities for the foreign airlines is one of the worst worldwide, probably some stations in some African countries and North Korea can compete. The food served on LH and LX from TLV is just baf and somethimes disgusting...To be fair the catering facility of LY seems to be good but obviously cannot be used by other airlnes.
There is no one caterer ex-TLV. Different airlines use different caterers, and an airline willing to pay can certainly get good food.

If I'm not mistaken, Tamam Aircraft Food Industries remains a wholly owned subsidiary of LY, but they do provide food to other airlines and certainly can do so. On the flip side, Borenstein Caterers, based out of NY, is wholly-owned by LY but they provide KSMLs to other airlines, such as UA (and not just for the TLV flights). So it is possible for them to work with other airlines. The potential issue is that Tamam is exclusively Kosher. I don't think that necessarily has to be an issue because many airlines offer religious-specific cuisine on other flights to/from the region, so it would be a removal of seafood and milk/meat combos.

And on that note, when I fly AF, I always get the KSML and the "meal" is the exact same as the regular meal just sealed. It comes from the same caterer in Lod.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.