Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gordo6
See latest posts for updates and discussion.
Print Wikipost

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Transavia adding Eindhoven from November
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4952233,00.html
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:44 am

Cool

Originally Posted by NYTA
Amazing. I feel like there are so many other routes that would work better than these but what the heck.
Could it be that the new subsidies (i.e. our taxes) make a business case for airlines to fly empty planes from obscure locations as it is more cost effective than having the same planes grounded?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by BATLV
Could it be that the new subsidies (i.e. our taxes) make a business case for airlines to fly empty planes from obscure locations as it is more cost effective than having the same planes grounded?
Aren't the subsidies passenger based? It means the airlines can charge cheaper prices than a flight to another destination, but that is the whole point.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by sds1493
Aren't the subsidies passenger based? It means the airlines can charge cheaper prices than a flight to another destination, but that is the whole point.
I may be mistaken, but there is a fixed element and a per passenger element.

And let's assume the planes are never really empty, but with a minimal load factor ( 20%)?
Old May 3, 2017, 4:08 am

3 weekly MIA announced starting Winter 17/18. 777-200 a/c
Old May 3, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Makes sense although I was hoping they'd start SFO to compete with UA and bring the crazy prices down. Now I just have to hope that DL will start flying to SEA.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:57 am

Makes sense although I was hoping they'd start SFO to compete with UA and bring the crazy prices down. Now I just have to hope that DL will start flying to SEA.
Now that would not make much sense to LY, would it? I mean, why compete on price and quality when you can avoid it on a different route. If they can fill the planes to MIA it is a better business decision.

Is there a market to SEA?
Old May 3, 2017, 6:12 am

Now that would not make much sense to LY, would it? I mean, why compete on price and quality when you can avoid it on a different route. If they can fill the planes to MIA it is a better business decision.

Is there a market to SEA?
Agreed it makes sense for LY since they can't compete on price and quality anywhere. Just look at TLV-London - I can fly Easyjet for half the price of LY and the quality is actually better on Easyjet than on LY.

I think there's a market for SEA at least a couple times a week - but I have no data to back it up. As a frequent visitor to SFO, as much as I'd like to fly the nonstop, it's currently insanely priced so a connection through SEA is a much more palatable alternative than most others. Nobody thought SFO would be so popular until UA started flying it and it's a huge success.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
This was announced by LY, I presume...
Old May 3, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
This makes a lot of sense, since MIA is the 3rd largest US market for TLV (after NYC and LAX). BOS is #6 , but I understand why it was launched before MIA (smaller aircraft and B6 feed).

SFO-TLV only has 100-110 PDEW and SEA-TLV has ~25 PDEW. El Al wouldn't be able to sustain a flight with UA already flying SFO-TLV and SEA-TLV doesn't have the demand, since El Al connects very few passengers in TLV and has B6 (and to a lesser extend AA) in the US.

The largest USA-TLV markets without a nonstop service are now Chicago (80-85 PDEW), DC (~60 PDEW and in talks with El Al for a nonstop), and Philly (45-50 PDEW). TLV has a good number of passengers from everywhere across the US, which creates a really good feed for US carriers, so it would not surprise me if a US carrier started ORD-TLV or ATL-TLV (~40 PDEW).
Old May 4, 2017, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by DA201
This makes a lot of sense, since MIA is the 3rd largest US market for TLV (after NYC and LAX). BOS is #6 , but I understand why it was launched before MIA (smaller aircraft and B6 feed).

SFO-TLV only has 100-110 PDEW and SEA-TLV has ~25 PDEW. El Al wouldn't be able to sustain a flight with UA already flying SFO-TLV and SEA-TLV doesn't have the demand, since El Al connects very few passengers in TLV and has B6 (and to a lesser extend AA) in the US.

The largest USA-TLV markets without a nonstop service are now Chicago (80-85 PDEW), DC (~60 PDEW and in talks with El Al for a nonstop), and Philly (45-50 PDEW). TLV has a good number of passengers from everywhere across the US, which creates a really good feed for US carriers, so it would not surprise me if a US carrier started ORD-TLV or ATL-TLV (~40 PDEW).
I'm no yield expert but I remember when UA launched TLV-SFO they said that it wasn't even in the top 50 of city pairs that they expected to yield well for them but they did so cautiously based on signatures on an online petition. Within weeks of launching the 3x weekly flight they moved it to daily because of high demand. That would seem to indicate more PDEW than what your data shows. Also common-sense wise as someone who flies several times a year from TLV-SFO I'd much rather connect in SEA than JFK or EWR and then have a short ongoing flight to SFO, SJC, even SNA, LAX and SAN. Much better than the crappy business class of LH, KL or AF on the Europe/TLV route and overall more time in a better seat and less time in a worse seat with better ongoing connections to places I can't get to on most European airlines with one stop.

Given how well UA and DL seem to do with high priced O&D traffic TLV-NYC I think DL would pick up some market share from the European carriers on TLV-west coast along with plenty of tech related SEA O&D traffic - Microsoft buys 2 Israeli companies a year so the travel need is only growing.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'm no yield expert but I remember when UA launched TLV-SFO they said that it wasn't even in the top 50 of city pairs that they expected to yield well for them but they did so cautiously based on signatures on an online petition. Within weeks of launching the 3x weekly flight they moved it to daily because of high demand. That would seem to indicate more PDEW than what your data shows. Also common-sense wise as someone who flies several times a year from TLV-SFO I'd much rather connect in SEA than JFK or EWR and then have a short ongoing flight to SFO, SJC, even SNA, LAX and SAN. Much better than the crappy business class of LH, KL or AF on the Europe/TLV route and overall more time in a better seat and less time in a worse seat with better ongoing connections to places I can't get to on most European airlines with one stop.

Given how well UA and DL seem to do with high priced O&D traffic TLV-NYC I think DL would pick up some market share from the European carriers on TLV-west coast along with plenty of tech related SEA O&D traffic - Microsoft buys 2 Israeli companies a year so the travel need is only growing.
I think SFO-TLV had a lot less to do with the petition than actual corporate travel departments talking with their UA reps. I'm not surprised that its doing well, a lot of those customers were flying over EWR or the EU. With LH flying only economy class FRA-TLV, that connection sucks if you're in the premium cabin.

SFO also has quick <2 hour flights from SEA/PDX/LA/SAN. SEA and PDX have lots of corporate traffic with Microsoft and Intel having major operations in Israel. LAX has the nonstop flights, but its LY...

Next US would be ORD on UA, but given that CO 90 is going to a 77W, that's quite a few more seats already. Would be nice to have a *A lounge in TLV given how awful and crowded the DANs are.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by entropy
Would be nice to have a *A lounge in TLV given how awful and crowded the DANs are.
I thought UA uses the Dan+ lounge; it is a Dan lounge after all but better in my view.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA, A3, LY; IHG/IC, Accor
Easyjet LGW 3 weekly route is back in September after a short hiatus.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
We would grab a SEA or PDX nonstop in a snap

Between all members of our family we fly at least 6 ++ round trips out of PDX a year to TLV. Right now most are using the SFO n/s. We are going to try either Condor with one stop in FRA or Icelandair with a stopover. WOW just announced a nonstop Iceland-TLV. That sounds good.

Microsoft, Intel and Nike all do business in TLV. I think there would be a market for a nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.