Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gordo6
See latest posts for updates and discussion.
Print Wikipost

New routes / extra frequencies to and from TLV - all airlines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:19 am

EL Al was asking a ridiculous amount for this route. I also hope prices will lower.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by nombody
That destination will be very popular with Israelis going abroad for civil weddings.
What, Paphos as apposed to Larnaca?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by hoteltravelfun
EL Al was asking a ridiculous amount for this route. I also hope prices will lower.
ElAl have never flown to PFO (wish they did) only LCA, which they now do through UP.

Prices are usually fairly reasonable, when were you looking at?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Wizz Air to fly twice weekly to Riga from TLV

http://ftnnews.com/aviation/29845-ne...a-airport.html
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Ryanair adding Ovda flights to Budapest, Krakow, Bratislava and Kovna, Lithuania:

http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/R...flights-449524
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
Ryanair adding Ovda flights to Budapest, Krakow, Bratislava and Kovna, Lithuania:

http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/R...flights-449524
http://hamodia.com/2016/03/28/ryanai...-break-israel/
The Jerusalem post article does not make so clear that they are suspending all flights to Israel until November since Eilat is not a summer destination.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:35 am

I thought it was interesting that the government is paying Ryanair 45 euros per passenger. At Ryanair's prices they could probably give away have the tickets for free and still make a profit.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I don't get it - why pay more than they're charging for all non-Israeli pax?

And how is that determined - I only ever book on my American passport. Would they assume I'm a foreigner?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:37 pm

They probably want to encourage tourism. I assume they get it back in hotel taxes if people stay in Eilat for more than one or two nights so it's break even for them and it increases overall tourism and tax revenue. I guess I understand why Ryanair doesn't fly to TLV now, because I'm sure they won't pay that for pax to TLV.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They probably want to encourage tourism. I assume they get it back in hotel taxes if people stay in Eilat for more than one or two nights so it's break even for them and it increases overall tourism and tax revenue. I guess I understand why Ryanair doesn't fly to TLV now, because I'm sure they won't pay that for pax to TLV.
Tax in hotels? Isn't Eilat VAT free and aren't foreigners anyways exempt from VAT in hotels?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by clubman
ElAl have never flown to PFO (wish they did) only LCA, which they now do through UP.

Prices are usually fairly reasonable, when were you looking at?
I recently flew last week. I booked early in the year> I used to 30k miles to get there via United. I saw prices over 400 $ one way, FRA-TLV. So I took a free segment to Hungary and bought a Wizz air from there. That was about 125$ with luggage but I used a free Hilton room for about 8 hours. I would have been better playing this via Athens, because El Al, only charges $75 WITH luggage and a decent breakfast large Gvina Bulgari sandwich. And Air Berlin is not so reliable either. JetAirfly is good but they are not so cheap anymore.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
They probably want to encourage tourism. I assume they get it back in hotel taxes if people stay in Eilat for more than one or two nights so it's break even for them and it increases overall tourism and tax revenue.
There was an article recently in themarker quoting numbers showing that over half of the subsidised tickets were tourists who immediately transferred to Aqaba for their vacation. Hotels in Eilat are increasingly dependent on internal tourism according to the report.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
There was an article recently in themarker quoting numbers showing that over half of the subsidised tickets were tourists who immediately transferred to Aqaba for their vacation. Hotels in Eilat are increasingly dependent on internal tourism according to the report.
Wow. What a waste of taxpayer money. They should at least charge a 45 Euro "Exit Fee" at the Aqaba crossing to make up for that or stop the subsidies altogether.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LX confirmed on Facebook that their new 77W will be servicing TLV. Hopefully, once they receive their full order of 9 (they got their 2nd today), we'll see less downgrading from A330/340 to A320
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:43 am

Wow. What a waste of taxpayer money. They should at least charge a 45 Euro "Exit Fee" at the Aqaba crossing to make up for that or stop the subsidies altogether.
Someone who spends 100 Euro on their flights is not going to spend $350 a night for a hotel in a Eilat. Meanwhile the hotels in Aqaba and Taba are much cheaper than the Eilat hotels especially for half and full board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.