Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
I've had the 20 and 21. Is this one which the sweet spot is actually older than that at 23, then?
I have no idea. I poured it because it was the bottle my friend was trying to steer me away from. I listened to him for the next glass and tried the Thomas Handy Sazerac rye, which I gather is also super fancy, but I liked the Orphan better.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have no idea. I poured it because it was the bottle my friend was trying to steer me away from. I listened to him for the next glass and tried the Thomas Handy Sazerac rye, which I gather is also super fancy, but I liked the Orphan better.
THH is one of my favorites.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by thelark
Friend hosted a bottle share tonight. Had Bald Monk, full range of some older BTAC, California Gold, 1969 Old Crow, WFE Bourbon picks, OWA picks, RR picks, local KC, EC picks, lots of dusty turkey.

Pretty epic.
Killer lineup. Can't go wrong with any of those. I would definitely need a cab home.

I've had the 20 and 21. Is this one which the sweet spot is actually older than that at 23, then?
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The Orphan Barrel Rhetorics go from 20-25 years. While they change a bit year-to-year, there's no commonly accepted sweet spot for them. Thomas H. Handy, being a ~6 year, barrel proof rye, is going to stand out as young, bold, and spicy compared to a mature, 90-proof oak bomb like the Rhetorics.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Just tasted this year's Old Forester Birthday Bourbon... one of the best pours I've tried in a long time.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:25 pm

I realize this thread is mostly about high(er) end Bourbon but I'll pitch Benchmark as a really tasty cheap bourbon. It's perfect for the last drink of night or for mixing.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by audio-nut
I realize this thread is mostly about high(er) end Bourbon but I'll pitch Benchmark as a really tasty cheap bourbon. It's perfect for the last drink of night or for mixing.
There's room in this thread for that too. Last week at the end of a long week I had a shot of Makers Mark and a nice IPA chaser and it hit the spot.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
There's room in this thread for that too. Last week at the end of a long week I had a shot of Makers Mark and a nice IPA chaser and it hit the spot.
Fair enough. Maker's is my mainstay but Benchmark is one third of the cost.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
High West Double Rye

Its fine need to re-supply my Sazerac stash though, still havent found something better in that price range.

Unfortunately NC ABC sucks so Im not sure Ill ever get a chance to try the Sazerac 18 at least in the current climate or any other BTAC.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by audio-nut
It's perfect for the last drink of night or for mixing.
An interesting way to endorse it.

Reminds me of that beer that used the confusing slogan: "The one beer to drink if you're drinking more than one."
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Herb687
An interesting way to endorse it.

Reminds me of that beer that used the confusing slogan: "The one beer to drink if you're drinking more than one."
Not just a slogan, it was a jingle too. I can still hear the tune in my head.

Shaeffer. Good enough to serve to my father's poker buddies as well.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:32 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
High West Double Rye

Its fine need to re-supply my Sazerac stash though, still havent found something better in that price range.

Unfortunately NC ABC sucks so Im not sure Ill ever get a chance to try the Sazerac 18 at least in the current climate or any other BTAC.
Saw Sazerac 18 at a LHR duty free this past weekend. They wanted 300 pounds. Nope.

I love the Thomas Handy Rye, and I bet I'd love the Sazerac 18. But not at $400+.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saw Sazerac 18 at a LHR duty free this past weekend. They wanted 300 pounds. Nope.

I love the Thomas Handy Rye, and I bet I'd love the Sazerac 18. But not at $400+.
Actually might have gone for that though admittedly is pricey -- I literally can't get my hands on it in NC (sure I sign up for the lottery every year but it's almost certainly rigged for those connected to the ABC store since it happens privately behind closed doors). In my years of living here, I've never gotten anything from an NC lottery (Pappy, BTAC, one-offs, etc.) -- and these days it's hard to even get my hand on the Baby Saz (I typically have to get it shipped from out of state or pick it up when I travel to CA/NY, it never really makes it to NC).

And the old secondary market seems to have Saz 18 routinely in the $800-900.

Unfortunately have nothing planned through LHR in the next few weeks so don't have to worry about deciding on that one
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:30 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

300 GBP= $387

Sazerac 18 is one of the more limited BTAC...

I'ld pay that.. I wouldn't pay that for William Larue Weller, George T STagg or Thomas Handy

but yes in a heartbeat for Saz 18 or Eagle Rare 17

For reference

I see the Saz 18 going for $70-800 easily on the secondary, even in spite that the last two releases are "new"

Find an older tanked Saz 18 though.. much better than the stuff actually distilled by BT

FDW
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Mrs BamaVol gave me a bottle of Jefferson’s Reserve Friday to celebrate my retirement. I am enjoying both.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ABC Store was out of my usual Rittenhouse Rye (and of course my go-to baby Sazerac nowhere to be seen in the state of NC).

Grabbed a bottle of the 100 proof Old Forrester Rye which sells for about the same as the Rittenhouse at the NC ABC.

Pretty tasty -- not as heavy "rye" with that spicy "rye" taste as the Rittenhouse (which is why I love it) but a pretty good drink for the price point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.