Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best & worst Bourbon?

Best & worst Bourbon?

Old Apr 18, 18, 1:46 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors

Last week, Father Jim Sichko, who serves as one of Americaís Papal Missionaries of Mercy, was lucky enough to have a private audience with Pope Francis at The Vatican, and the preacher based out of the Dioceses of Lexington, Kentucky, choose not to come empty-handed. As Sichko
, he brought along a gift from ďMy Ole Kentucky HomeĒóa b
Old Apr 19, 18, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Sitting in a bar in Des Moines this past weekend (actually the bar was in a grocery store) I decided to take a break from beer and looked over the bourbon list. I'd never had Bookers before so ordered it for $11. The bar is relatively new and the server told us he was 17. As a consequence, he couldn't find it in the register database and it got rung up as Grey Goose for $6. Well worth it, maybe even at $11. Not as sweet as Woodford, not as spicy as Basil Hayden's but just as smooth as either.
Old May 15, 18, 7:00 am

My brother is in town visiting and brought a nice little gift.

thelark likes this.
Old Jun 22, 18, 5:36 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
If they need any help with the cleanup...I’m available!

Kentucky Bourbon Warehouse Collapses, Spilling 9,000 Barrels of Whiskey
Old Jul 14, 18, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Those of you who have nicer bottles and drink them slowly... anyone use wine preserver spray and find it really makes a difference in the taste, heading off oxidation in the long term?
Old Jul 18, 18, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
It would be overkill, IMHO. Although spirits do undergo some oxidation and evaporative changes, they do not experience anything like wine does. Simply putting the cork back in is typically good enough.

And I'll say that I nurse the really good bottles... I feel like I should have a funeral for the bottle when I first crack open a multi-hundred-dollar whisky. But I've never had any issues with spoilage or significant change in flavor or appearance.
Old Oct 14, 18, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Bourbon lovers are invited to join us in LEX in April 2019. Always a great group, mostly multi-year returnees. Bourbon distilleries, horse races, horse farms, southern food, points/miles talk, parties, etc.

Thread in the Community Buzz forum. Will be our 14th time.

Weigh in if you have a preference as for weekend.
Old Oct 14, 18, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I had a couple glasses of Knob Creek Rye with the Bama game yesterday. Reasonably good at a reasonable price.
Old Oct 17, 18, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Sorry, dupe.
Old Oct 17, 18, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
I had a couple glasses of Knob Creek Rye with the Bama game yesterday. Reasonably good at a reasonable price.
I find most Knob Creek whiskeys to be decent values; I like their 120 proof bourbon in particular. Had some of the limited edition rye earlier this year, and don't find it particularly better than their regular rye, FWIW.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'm not really a Bourbon fan but some of the stuff in this thread is pretty cool.
Old Oct 21, 18, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
I find most Knob Creek whiskeys to be decent values; I like their 120 proof bourbon in particular. Had some of the limited edition rye earlier this year, and don't find it particularly better than their regular rye, FWIW.
If you have a local store that does barrel picks, some of those Knob Creek 120s are among the best bourbon you can buy... let alone in the $45 price range. Even though the label says 9 years, two stores near me have done 13 year and 14 year picks and they were incredible.
exerda likes this.
Old Oct 29, 18, 7:35 pm

Have made a bunch of pickups over the past few weeks, but a few that stand out (and arenít unobtanium):

- New Riff single barrel
- Pinhook
- Willett 4yr rye
- OKI 10 year (by New Riff)

Got lucky and got Old Forester Birthday Bourbon at retail Friday - considering trading it out. Iíve also found that Iíve been going for my Kentucky Owl Rye, OWA and Blantonís Gold much more often, so picked up some backups
Old Dec 19, 18, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Opened up a bottle of High West Double Rye tonight.

Not bad but doesn't pack the punch I enjoy from the similarly priced baby Sazerac that's my go-to rye.

That said I didn't love the last High West I bought but after letting it sit for a few months I came back to it and loved it so hoping the same here.
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:57 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AS & AA GM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just got a bottle of Woodford Reserve as a gift - never had it am excited to try it.

Search this Thread