Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phillygold
Per Food and Wine magazine, here are the 25 most important bourbons ever made. Note, Makers Mark came in #1 .

http://www.foodandwine.com/cocktails...vored-bourbons

Weller is the top on the list of what I've tried (never had Pappy) and I actually agree with the Makers Mark #1 . It was the conduit from Jack & Coke in college to entering the world of Bourbon (and eventually scotch).

Recently been enjoying Baby Saz - hopefully one of these days I'll get my hands on the 18 year old to compare
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by mystified
It's kind of crazy how Pappy is so expensive. I've had a sip of it. While I think it's delicious, but for the price some folks pay, there are other options.
BamaVol Jr #1 texted me yesterday from an Irish pub in Eugene Oregon. He and his wife were splitting a double pour of Pappy 18. At $87, he proclaimed it "worth the price" and also remarked that he would likely never do that again. Same opinion. There are better values although probably not better bourbons. He followed it with a glass of Blanton's, not normally a disappointment, but it was this time.

BamaVol Jr #3 gifted me with a bottle of Whistlepig rye and I accepted delivery of a set of 4 Glencairn tasting glasses this weekend so it seemed an appropriate time to open the bottle. I liked it a whole lot and will be sorry when the bottle is empty, which could be very soon. I cannot believe it's 100% proof.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:51 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaVol
BamaVol Jr #3 gifted me with a bottle of Whistlepig rye and I accepted delivery of a set of 4 Glencairn tasting glasses this weekend so it seemed an appropriate time to open the bottle. I liked it a whole lot and will be sorry when the bottle is empty, which could be very soon. I cannot believe it's 100% proof.
The "standard" Whistlepig (10 year)? I do admit it's one of my favorite ryes.

I used VA ABC's once-a-year 20% off coupon a couple of weeks back to get their Old World Madeira Finish 12 year rye, which at $120 I'd never spring for without the discount. It's quite tasty, though.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Weller 107 for me tonight - never disappoints
FlyingDoctorwu likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
BamaVol Jr #1 texted me yesterday from an Irish pub in Eugene Oregon. He and his wife were splitting a double pour of Pappy 18. At $87, he proclaimed it "worth the price" and also remarked that he would likely never do that again. Same opinion. There are better values although probably not better bourbons. He followed it with a glass of Blanton's, not normally a disappointment, but it was this time.

paying anything for pappy 18 is too much, because it doesn't exist.
DCFinanceinFlight likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by thelark
I believe you. He might have fat fingered the keyboard and meant to type 15. I also imagine he had already had a bit to drink. I mean, who pays $87 for a double shot of bourbon if they're sober?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:17 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Duke787
Weller 107 for me tonight - never disappoints
Love love love Weller 107...

I'ld pay $87 for a pour of the 18.... There are a couple of one off bottling of 18 yo van winkle... though I'm not sure they've ever born the Pappy name.

Van Winkle Special Reserve 18yr, Binny’s Single Barrel, 121.6pf – 2003

Van Winkle Family Reserve 18yr, Park Ave Single Barrel, 2003

Old Rip Van Winkle Blue Smoke 18yr, 92.6pf, ~2003

Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:31 pm

You and I both know that those would be going for >$87/oz and don't dare call vwsr or orvw pappy
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:52 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

You and I both know that those would be going for >$87/oz and don't dare call vwsr or orvw pappy
Touché
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: IC RA
This 18 Y.O Van Winkle for Binny's (as shown above) sold for £8800 at Scotch Whisky Auctions last year. With commission and VAT that would be £9700

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com...r-binnys-75cl/

That would make it £646.66 for a 50ML pour.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:40 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Was having some from bottles I hadn't tried in a while... realized how much I love Noah's Mill. Need to run across the border to MD and find another bottle now.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by torcross
This 18 Y.O Van Winkle for Binny's (as shown above) sold for £8800 at Scotch Whisky Auctions last year. With commission and VAT that would be £9700

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com...r-binnys-75cl/

That would make it £646.66 for a 50ML pour.
Before markup by the pouring establishment.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Had a half pour each of WhistlePig Rye and Jefferson’s Reserve Ocean Aged with dinner tonight. Both quite good and of course very different, but I think I preferred the WhistlePig.

They had Elijah Craig 18, but I passed based on recommendations here that it’s over-aged.

Other high-rye options from their tasting serieswere 1792 Full Proof, Angel’s Envy, Blanton’s Gold Edition, Blanton’s Special Reserve, Booker’s Bluegrass, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Old Bones 10 Year. On the high wheat side, they had Garrison Bros. Texas, Old 55, and Willett Pot. Hope I didn’t massively miss out on anything I should have sampled!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Woodford Reserve is my mainstay among bourbons. I like its rich, sweet, and complex flavor. I've tried Woodford's Double Oak; I'm not a fan. It's too tart. Woodford Reserve Rye is okay. The basic Reserve is high-rye already, so the Rye is like that but moreso.

Lately I've been drinking a bottle of Elijah Craig. At 94 proof it's like getting popped in the kisser. A bit of water or a small amount of ice smooths it out. It's grown on me over time (2/3 of the way through the bottle) but I still prefer Woodford Reserve.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Managed to pick up a bottle of Makers Mark Cask Strength on my travels. 111.3 proof. After my earlier foray into cask bourbons being Bookers, I found this a big step down but after a couple of days it's growing on me. Nice mouth feel and a long finish.

Also snagged a bottle of Woodford Reserve Masters Collection, Brandy Cask Finish. A great illustration of the perils of buying without access to reviews (roaming data not enabled on the phone). A decent enough bourbon with a nicer nose and palate taste than standard WR, but not worth double the price (luckily I got it for about $80 against the normal $100).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.