Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Duke787
I'd rate it as both a good brand and a good value. It's one of the better mid-tier bourbons out there and it hasn't seen the dramatic price increases that we've seen in other brands within the bourbon category. You see it on these boards pretty frequently because both AA and DL serve it in all cabins (something I appreciate as a bourbon fan).

Personally I put it in the same league as Buffalo Trace (at today's MSRP), Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, Angel's Envy, and Weller 107 (at MSRP price, not secondary market price) and on a higher tier than Jack Daniel's / Jim Beam / Wild Turkey 101 / Four Roses Yellow.
I agree completely and would add that they also serve it on BA and some other airlines I can't recall at the moment. And it's its free pour in some airline lounges such as BA's GF at LHR T3 and T5.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I almost never drink whiskey of any kind but yesterday at the duty free they were giving out free samples of Woodford Reserve. Needless to say, I wouldn't be posting if I didn't think it was great. So the question is, how does it rank on the Bourbon scale? I mean, is it considered a good brand or just a value bottle. I have absolutely nothing to compare it to. I see that there are a few recent posts from others who have also bought this at the duty free.
Woodford Reserve is both a good brand and a good value. It's my mainstay at home and my usual call at bars. I've tried other brands within the same price range and keep coming back to it.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:06 pm

Just snagged this today and I'm very excited. I've heard good things about Orphan Barrel but never have tried it. It can be hard to locate.

Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Good day bottle hunting around here. W.L. Weller Special Reserve, 107, and 12 Year; Blanton's; Stagg Jr.; E.H. Taylor Single Barrel; and 1792 Sweet Wheat and Single Barrel.

And not bourbon, but riding alongside in the cart: a case of Bourbon County and a case of Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout.

Finally, at dinner last night, a bourbon flight: ORVW 12, Pappy 15, and George T. Stagg.

Think I’m in bourbon heaven this week...

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 23, 2017 at 2:33 am
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Just snagged this today and I'm very excited. I've heard good things about Orphan Barrel but never have tried it. It can be hard to locate.
Haven't had that rye, but have had several other Orphan Barrel products. They always have some age going for them... but IMHO are a bit over-priced for what they are. Good, but more in the $50 range good vs. the $100+ a lot of their stuff commands.

Still, a 25-year anything is quite a treat.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 3:25 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

This one will be missed...
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Woodford Reserve is both a good brand and a good value. It's my mainstay at home and my usual call at bars. I've tried other brands within the same price range and keep coming back to it.
I've been drinking my bottle since Christmas and I continue to be impressed with the flavor complexity. On the other hand, seeing my interest, my MIL bought me a bottle of single malt Scotch as well. That just isn't going down, so at least I know where my tastes lie. Maybe I'll be confident enough to try some of the more expensive brands that have been noted here.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
The older orphan barrel's are overoaked IMO. Some are OK, none are worth $120+. This is all Diageo hype and BS advertising to cash in on the bourbon craze happening as of late.

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I've been drinking my bottle since Christmas and I continue to be impressed with the flavor complexity. On the other hand, seeing my interest, my MIL bought me a bottle of single malt Scotch as well. That just isn't going down, so at least I know where my tastes lie. Maybe I'll be confident enough to try some of the more expensive brands that have been noted here.
Which bottle of scotch? There are so many bottles of different varieties that it's impossible for someone to dislike scotch as a whole. You just haven't tried the right one yet!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 4, 2018 at 10:35 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by guller
Which bottle of scotch? There are so many bottles of different varieties that it's impossible for someone to dislike scotch as a whole. You just haven't tried the right one yet!
Perhaps so. It was Glenmorangie - the original. Too sweet for me. All I can taste are honey and citrus, plus some pungent chemical from my organic chemistry days that I can't quite identify. Not for me.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by exerda
Haven't had that rye, but have had several other Orphan Barrel products. They always have some age going for them... but IMHO are a bit over-priced for what they are. Good, but more in the $50 range good vs. the $100+ a lot of their stuff commands.

Still, a 25-year anything is quite a treat.
Picked up a bottle in Colorado at a decent price ($120). Have to say, it's so-so. Probably a bit too much age for a rye; a lot of the spiciness has been overly smoothed out by the time in barrel. Could stand to be a bit higher proof, too.

It's decent drinking, to be sure. But like almost all the other Orphan Barrel I've tried, it's overpriced and overhyped vs. what it actually is. YMMV.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:54 am

I just posted over in the scotch thread of two I got to try yesterday ( go take a glimpse). I also got to try this one below. It wasn't too shabby at $10 a pour

Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:03 pm

Drove up to Rockville, MD, today to pick up my Buffalo Trace Antique Collection lottery winner: a bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye. Haven't opened it yet... but I did also pick up a Jefferson's Rum Cask Finish bourbon. It's quite nice, although I have to say I like their Pritchard Hill wine cask finish bourbon better (and it's $20 cheaper a bottle).
EuropeanPete and Duke787 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I normally don't specify a bourbon for my Manhattan's, but I saw Angels Envy on the rack behind the bar so I asked for that and I have to admit it made a very positive impact on the cocktail. I think this particular bourbon is the best for Manhattans. Anyone have other suggestions?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Woodford Reserve has been my mainstay for a few years and I've touted it here. Recently I bought a bottle of Bulleit after a friend poured it at a party. It's several dollars a bottle cheaper than Woodford locally, and giving the two a blind taste test I'm hard pressed to tell them apart.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
I normally don't specify a bourbon for my Manhattan's, but I saw Angels Envy on the rack behind the bar so I asked for that and I have to admit it made a very positive impact on the cocktail. I think this particular bourbon is the best for Manhattans. Anyone have other suggestions?
In general I much prefer bourbon to be used for my Manhattan, though I'm certainly aware that's not the correct recipe. My personal favorite for that use is Maker's 46. Good balance of smoothness, flavor and reasonable price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.