Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Picked this up this past weekend at the local Total Wine. They only received in 2 bottles.
I was back in Andorra recently (see above) and this time I bought the Four Roses Single Barrel. It was only €20-something there. Wow I am surprised and impressed at the quality.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:56 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

scored a 23 this year again. I know FDW got the 20. Anyone else? Already opened it!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:24 pm

Total wine has totally screwed the state of Texas - no BTAC or PVW. My spend is going elsewhere next year.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:33 am

Picked these up this weekend. All 3 can be surprisingly tricky to get in the Houston area.

Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by thelark
Total wine has totally screwed the state of Texas - no BTAC or PVW. My spend is going elsewhere next year.
It does suck. I've noticed though that the Total Wines in the Houston area generally don't have the harder to get stuff. I usually end up just getting all our wine and champagne from them and then bourbon elsewhere.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also bought in Andorra, a bottle of Woodford Reserve Distillers Select. But what I hadn't noticed til now that I'm opening the bottle, that it's a 1 liter size bottle! Do they even sell those in the US?

Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Also bought in Andorra, a bottle of Woodford Reserve Distillers Select. But what I hadn't noticed til now that I'm opening the bottle, that it's a 1 liter size bottle! Do they even sell those in the US?
I believe that's how that one comes. I could be mistaken though.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:08 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

It does suck. I've noticed though that the Total Wines in the Houston area generally don't have the harder to get stuff. I usually end up just getting all our wine and champagne from them and then bourbon elsewhere.
Does Total Wine down by y'all do their frequent buyer club? I don't shop at the one here in MD but my neighbor does and was able to get a BTAC via that route this year....

I remember being able to walk into Beltway (aka Total Wine) and have the pick of PVW/BTAC (oh the good ole days)..... I actually left many a VW 10 and 12 on the shelf there.....

FDW
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only ever seen 750ml in the US. But maybe they now have bigger bottles like Europe? Or are there regional laws preventing that?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

I've only ever seen 750ml in the US. But maybe they now have bigger bottles like Europe? Or are there regional laws preventing that?
All my duty-free Woodford purchases worldwide has been the one litre; I have yet to see anything but 750ml at US retail outlets
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Does Total Wine down by y'all do their frequent buyer club? I don't shop at the one here in MD but my neighbor does and was able to get a BTAC via that route this year....

I remember being able to walk into Beltway (aka Total Wine) and have the pick of PVW/BTAC (oh the good ole days)..... I actually left many a VW 10 and 12 on the shelf there.....

FDW
yes, they do - I have her highest status (of course). They didn’t ship any pvw or btac to the entire state this year. Independent retailers started putting btac on the shelf this week. Found a gts and wlw for $500. Unreal.

Did pick up a wt decades, ecbp and michter’s toasted over the past couple days.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:53 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

yes, they do - I have her highest status (of course). They didn’t ship any pvw or btac to the entire state this year. Independent retailers started putting btac on the shelf this week. Found a gts and wlw for $500. Unreal.

Did pick up a wt decades, ecbp and michter’s toasted over the past couple days.
maybe they will do it later. I remember Total Wine last year holding their stock back and selling at a later date...
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Costco sells Woodford Reserve Distiller’s Select in 1.75L. Bought one in LEX a couple weeks back for $60, though I think I have also seen it in Chicagoland. Different text/layout silk-screened on bottle than the one pictured here a couple days ago, but it’s labeled as “Distiller’s Select/Woodford Reserve/Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.”

Is it the same exact stuff if it omits “Labrot & Graham” from the label? Sorry, I am kind of a bourbon novice.

Note that we are having the 12th iteration of the LEX Horse and Bourbon DO in April. Bourbon tours, horse farms, horse races, partying, and points/miles talk. What could be better?

Link in my signature below.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
maybe they will do it later. I remember Total Wine last year holding their stock back and selling at a later date...
not happening here this year, confirmed with corporate.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Woodford, Knob Creek and a few others are available in both 0.75L and 1.0L sizes in Ohio. I'm sure they are in other states as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.