Best & worst Bourbon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
A bit off topic perhaps but here in Fairbanks, Alaska you can regularly get a bottle of Bookers for $47.00 + tax. Not everywhere, mind you, but if you go to the Walmart liquor store you can. Everyday pricing, too. I've never seen this tasty bourbon regularly priced so low anywhere else in the country - though I've yet to look for bourbon in Kentucky. Last week, the little convenience store 5 miles up the road had a 750ml bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked priced at $25.00! Not everything is super expensive in Alaska...
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:21 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EricH
In past years, Virginia police would stake out major DC liquor stores (esp. at major holidays) and radio the license plates and descriptions of VA cars to VA police at the bridges into Virginia. I haven't heard any stories about this in a few years. Have they stopped?
Unless you're buying cases and cases or for business, I don't see what the cops would be doing. It's not illegal to buy liquor out of state.

As for prices, I find Maryland is cheaper than DC, FWIW, but it depends on the store and the item.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Duke787
Though unfortunately I can't find Rittenhouse Rye to save my life right now.
Come to D.C. I just saw a bottle at Washington Wine & Liquor on 1200 E St NW. I saw an awful lot of bourbon bottles. Seemed like at least 80 different brands/types. Including large 1.75 liter sizes of Buffalo Trace. Sazerac Rye. Diamond Edition Wild Turkey (never heard of that), Blantons, 1792, and dozens of other names. Some were priced high and some had ok prices. A few were even marked down.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
In past years, Virginia police would stake out major DC liquor stores (esp. at major holidays) and radio the license plates and descriptions of VA cars to VA police at the bridges into Virginia. I haven't heard any stories about this in a few years. Have they stopped?
In my experience, yes. My dad used to tell those same stories back in the 1980s.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by stimpy
Come to D.C. I just saw a bottle at Washington Wine & Liquor on 1200 E St NW. I saw an awful lot of bourbon bottles. Seemed like at least 80 different brands/types. Including large 1.75 liter sizes of Buffalo Trace. Sazerac Rye. Diamond Edition Wild Turkey (never heard of that), Blantons, 1792, and dozens of other names. Some were priced high and some had ok prices. A few were even marked down.
The Vienna ABC store had plenty of Rittenhouse Rye when I was there on Saturday.

Also wanted to add that I was the recipient of a very nice bottle of Elmer T. Lee over the weekend. It's nice to have thoughtful friends! ^
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by exerda
Unless you're buying cases and cases or for business, I don't see what the cops would be doing. It's not illegal to buy liquor out of state.

As for prices, I find Maryland is cheaper than DC, FWIW, but it depends on the store and the item.
It was certainly still illegal in Mass when I left in 1989. The cops would arrest drivers of cars that were spotted at the NH state liquor store parking lot over the line. I also heard of busses from Connecticut being stopped and liquor purchases being confiscated by CT state police.

It's something to do with failure to pay the state liquor tax.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
A bit off topic perhaps but here in Fairbanks, Alaska you can regularly get a bottle of Bookers for $47.00 + tax. Not everywhere, mind you, but if you go to the Walmart liquor store you can. Everyday pricing, too. I've never seen this tasty bourbon regularly priced so low anywhere else in the country - though I've yet to look for bourbon in Kentucky. Last week, the little convenience store 5 miles up the road had a 750ml bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked priced at $25.00! Not everything is super expensive in Alaska...
You're correct. Those brands go for $60 and $30 respectively around here, unless the Woodford is on sale. I have never seen Bookers at less than $60.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I have never seen Bookers at less than $60.
I'm officially old. I recall buying Bookers for $19 in the past.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It was certainly still illegal in Mass when I left in 1989. The cops would arrest drivers of cars that were spotted at the NH state liquor store parking lot over the line. I also heard of busses from Connecticut being stopped and liquor purchases being confiscated by CT state police.

Wasn't this the whole plot of Smokey and the Bandit?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Wasn't this the whole plot of Smokey and the Bandit?
Well I'm not sure it was about taxes. But I do recall that Coors was not available east of the Mississippi.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Well I'm not sure it was about taxes. But I do recall that Coors was not available east of the Mississippi.
If only that was still the case. lol
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
And they needed a whole truck load of it.

"Eastbound and down. Loaded up and truckin'"
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:17 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
You're correct. Those brands go for $60 and $30 respectively around here, unless the Woodford is on sale. I have never seen Bookers at less than $60.
I relatively frequently receive online deals offering Booker's for $45-ish. (VA ABC sells it for around $55.) Most are for two different batches together, e.g. $90 for the pair. Not bad for a decent, super-high-proof bourbon I suppose.

I suspect the liberalization of interstate alcohol laws in the 90s changed things (around the time many states started allowing out-of-state online sales to be shipped to their states--I know some still don't, of course, but seems like most do now).

That's not to say states don't still have incredibly silly or obscure alcohol laws...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I can't speak for Virginia, but I have heard of Pennsylvania state police doing the same at New Jersey stores across the Delaware River. The way I heard the story, though, they quit doing it when New Jersey police started ticketing the Pennsylvania cops for trespassing and loitering.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I'll have to check it out next time I'm in DC. Got lucky today was in Hillsborough NC and decided just to give the ABC store there a try. They had two Rittenhouse left so I grabbed them.

Guy running the store said he's been hearing that VA is getting most of the harder to find / good stuff right now (including Weller 107 which they had a place for on the shelf but said they've been out for months).

Tough times down in NC for anything that isn't mass produced and aimed at pleasing the majority of customers coming in the door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.