Reload this Page >

Best & worst Bourbon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:59 pm

Was in my neighborhood liquor store today, and they offered me a bottle of Pappy 12 for $350. I politely declined*, but just as they were putting it back under the counter, someone rushed up to buy it. A fool and his money ...

* I remember going to Liquor Barn in Lexington, KY, and picking up bottles of Pappy 20 for ~$95. Those were the days!
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:08 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by edcaya
Was in my neighborhood liquor store today, and they offered me a bottle of Pappy 12 for $350. I politely declined*, but just as they were putting it back under the counter, someone rushed up to buy it. A fool and his money ...

* I remember going to Liquor Barn in Lexington, KY, and picking up bottles of Pappy 20 for ~$95. Those were the days!
Pappy 12 aka Van winkle special reserve lot b 12 year old used to sit on the shelves. I passed on it many times at total wine but never regretted it. The 12 is ok but not great. I actually prefer the 10 at 107 proof (though it used to come in 90 proof). $350 is pricey, secondary market pricey. Not really worth it. I'm drinking a lot of Okd Weller Antique 107. At $25 a bottle it's the best value out there.

Fdw
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I did a Bourbon flight in New Orleans last night and my surprise favourite was Rebel Yell which was their house bourbon. Remarkably smooth stuff.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:43 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I did a Bourbon flight in New Orleans last night and my surprise favourite was Rebel Yell which was their house bourbon. Remarkably smooth stuff.
I had their rye and wasn't impressed, but perhaps their bourbon is decent.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:10 am

while not bourbon, I think it's been generally accepted to talk rye in this thread

picked up a bottle of willett 8 year single barrel
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

The heavy consumption is back at the host hotel in the evening!
Amen to that !
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by thelark
while not bourbon, I think it's been generally accepted to talk rye in this thread

I'm looking for the Sazerac Rye myself. Has to be better than Old Overholt...which I found to be drinkable.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:26 pm

baby saz is great; saz 18 is spectacular.

Last edited by thelark; Nov 24, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:04 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
If you don't mind me asking, roughly where and how much? I brought one back from LAS recently but haven't opened it yet (I did open their 2 year, and found it quite nice). Mine ran ~$90 IIRC; I was excited to find it, and to find Masterson's 10-year rye for $50 (it's $122 in VA).

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
I'm looking for the Sazerac Rye myself. Has to be better than Old Overholt...which I found to be drinkable.
I recently picked up an extra bottle, given the VA ABC got another batch in. For $29 or so, it's a great rye. Better than Rittenhouse (if just a bit) and definitely good either to sip or to mix.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:28 am

purchase online from the state of pa - they had 36 bottles for sale the other day at $89.99 each.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
<please delete>
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:11 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

purchase online from the state of pa - they had 36 bottles for sale the other day at $89.99 each.
We have some at the store next to me. $85. I passed because i have too much LDI rye to drink.

Bourbon county beers coming out Friday. Who likes them? I'm not a huge beer drinker but always grab a couple.

Fdw
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:53 pm

Opened a bottle of 2013 bcbs coffee tonight - was excellent. Pick up a case of bcbs every year; hopefully I'll be able to find some variants too.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So the children convince me that they want to go to a local burger shack in the middle of the Surrey countryside tonight. OK, fine by me. Imagine my surprise when I see that they're selling Eagle Rare 10 yo at £3.95 a 50ml pour. An excellent deal and a nice way to end dinner.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:06 am

was wondering what happened with the PA release lottery for BTAC as they were supposed to announce the winners this week. ended up on a reddit thread and saw that people received notifications a few days ago...

went into my email and did a search for good measure - found that I'll be receiving a bottle of WLW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.