Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best & worst Bourbon?

Best & worst Bourbon?

Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:48 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
As for tonight's Bourbon selection, trying out the Costco Kirkland Signature 7 year old Bourbon. I'm told it is from the Jim Beam distillery and *speculation here* the same mash bill that is Jim Beam Black but this is bottled younger and stronger. So, who knows?
How has it been? I've seen very mixed reviews... I'd love to see it tasted blind, as I do believe there's an effect of knowing what you're drinking and what it cost.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A friend of mine who has just dropped off one of my children gave me a bottle of Jim Beam Devil's Cut 90 proof, telling me that doesn't like spirits but thought I might like it. I think he won it in some school charity raffle. Not so sure about this one but I might give it a try tonight.

Last edited by LondonElite; Oct 16, 2015 at 1:44 pm Reason: Fix funny editing...
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:50 pm
Suspended

I've just tried the JB Devil's Cut 90 proof. Not really my thing. Harsh and hot. Definitely one to save for the sorts of visitors who want whisk(e)y type spirits mixed with something fizzy. I've placed it next to the truly disgusting JB Apple which I stupidly bought at duty free when someone convinced me would go well with plenty of ice and tonic. Not.

There's a very flattering review of the Devil's Crap here:

http://jason-scotchreviews.blogspot....-kentucky.html

But I'll disagree...it's no Elijah Craig, with whom it shares a price point, and much less a Woodford Reserve, which to me is just fantastic value for money.

Last edited by LondonElite; Oct 16, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old Oct 16, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Elijah Craig 12 is probably the super secret, Un-Official Bourbon then. Seems to come up quite a bit in this thread. At least, I seem to think it does.

OWA is worth a try. Should be available.

Anyways, as for "flipping" bourbon, anything you would suggest? I considered doing this with duty-free liquor exclusives but I'd be too tempted to just keep the Scotch/Bourbon for myself.
Actually getting the stuff at retail is, of course, the challenge. But it seems that there is a robust secondary market in not just Pappy and Weller but anything from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. (The latter being one I've never tried) Really anything in limited release and perceived quality...

Considering the Horse and Bourbon DO in Kentucky. I'm guessing it's close to Lexington?
Hope you can join us. There's already a thread in CommunityBuzz soliciting input for preferred dates for the next edition in Spring 2015 which will coinicide with Keeneland's spring horse racing meet. Lexington is always the headquarters and we fan out from there to go to the track, hit different horse farms, craft breweries and, of course, bourbon distilleries.

As for tonight's Bourbon selection, trying out the Costco Kirkland Signature 7 year old Bourbon. I'm told it is from the Jim Beam distillery and *speculation here* the same mash bill that is Jim Beam Black but this is bottled younger and stronger. So, who knows?
I believe that (almost?) every bourbon distilled at the Jim Beam distillery shares the same mashbill. I stopped by Clermont a couple weeks ago on my way to Lexington and asked the Jim Beam tour guide that question. He said he thought that all Beam bourbons including their small batch line, with ONE possible exception, all share the same mashbill.

FWIW, I've always liked most Beam product. Basil Hayden's is my go-to summer bourbon when I want a refreshing light-bodied whiskey. Knob Creek never disappoints. Tried Baker's and Booker's recently for the first time and enjoyed both of them.

Even the mid-shelf Jim Beam that used to show up on AA (AA used to serve Beam Black and Devil's Cut) was drinkable. Nothing great. Nothing I'd buy in a liquor store. But certainly not offensive (I'm looking at you, Wild Turkey).

Originally Posted by thelark
It's not cool and I certainly wouldn't do it. Creates further scarcity and deprives others of the opportunity to try something. Flippers are part of the reason why stores are increasingly keeping their supplies of the good stuff off the shelves.
I understand that us bourbon lovers want to have unlimited access to great bourbons at great prices but since no one seems to throw wine investors under the bus I guess I wonder why I shouldn't take an "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach and buy bourbon for investment as well as consumption.

Again, wine investment (fine, call it speculation if you prefer) is an established concept. There are even hedge funds that treat investment in wine as a legitimate category of alternative investments. Why the double standard for bourbon?

In a way, price is truth. The fact that many bourbons appear to be trading at 2x-4x premia to their retail pricing indicates that these are undervalued assets.

Originally Posted by exerda
I generally drink everything I buy. That said, I do have a few bottles (most of them Japanese whisky or Scotch whisky) that I have not opened. The Scotch I would consider "flipping" at some point, I suppose (JW Explorer's Club selections I picked up at Duty Free), but the rest I intend to consume myself.

On the one hand, I understand keeping aside a 2nd bottle with the thought, "That way I can enjoy one, and maybe sell the other some day." On the other hand, the speculators and flippers are despicable scum who have driven up the prices of everything and made it very hard for real enthusiasts to obtain some of the better bourbons out there for their own consumption.
Despicable scum seems pretty harsh. Do you feel the same way about people who invest in wine? Is it not possible to be both an enthusiastic consumer and intelligent investor in a product you enjoy?

If someone is going to exploit an arbitrage, why shouldn't it be me?

Last edited by Herb687; Oct 16, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:53 pm

I have a fundamental problem with it because it isn't truly a free market. The market is distorted by states and/or distributors. If distilleries could bottle a product and sell directly to retail or consumers at a market-determined price, I'd have less of an issue.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I've just tried the JB Devil's Cut 90 proof. Not really my thing. Harsh and hot. Definitely one to save for the sorts of visitors who want whisk(e)y type spirits mixed with something fizzy. I've placed it next to the truly disgusting JB Apple which I stupidly bought at duty free when someone convinced me would go well with plenty of ice and tonic. Not.

There's a very flattering review of the Devil's Crap here:

http://jason-scotchreviews.blogspot....-kentucky.html

But I'll disagree...it's no Elijah Craig, with whom it shares a price point, and much less a Woodford Reserve, which to me is just fantastic value for money.
I think your review is spot on. My main interaction with it has been on AA, always mixed with Coke Zero. In that scenario it performs just fine but in all other scenarios as you said I don't find it worth buying over others in the same price range.

Especially here in NC where the ABC stores sell Devil's Cut at roughly the same price as Elijah Craig and Buffalo Trace among others. If I want something to just mix with soda here might as well just grab it's cheaper cousins.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:11 am
Suspended

I've decide to make ribs tonight; that's where there JB Apple will get used up!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
How has it been? I've seen very mixed reviews... I'd love to see it tasted blind, as I do believe there's an effect of knowing what you're drinking and what it cost.
I find it to be drinkable. The very first thought I had when I tasted it was Jim Beam White Label.

I'd buy it again but for the most part, it's probably a mixer bourbon.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:54 pm

I am not even remotely figuring I will land a heavily-allocated release in VA. I picked up another plain-old Sazerac (VA ABCs apparently just got in more). I'm debating a Yellow Stone 7 Year bourbon ($105, pricey!) which a few ABCs have near me, and a Whistle Pig Old World Finish ($130-$140, in MD) right now.

I'll be in Anne Arundel County, MD, this Saturday, and also in Montgomery County--anywhere in particular I should stop? My wife and I have a dog Halloween party in Colombia, MD, then are going to the zombie walk in Silver Spring later in the day. I always like to check MD liquor shops for the different selection when able... any favorites in either Colombia or Silver Spring, or along the way from VA?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I saw plenty of Four Roses Single Barrel and Four Roses Small Batch at the supermarket yesterday for 17 and 14 bucks respectively. Are these any good or just run of the mill bourbon?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I am not even remotely figuring I will land a heavily-allocated release in VA. I picked up another plain-old Sazerac (VA ABCs apparently just got in more). I'm debating a Yellow Stone 7 Year bourbon ($105, pricey!) which a few ABCs have near me, and a Whistle Pig Old World Finish ($130-$140, in MD) right now.

I'll be in Anne Arundel County, MD, this Saturday, and also in Montgomery County--anywhere in particular I should stop? My wife and I have a dog Halloween party in Colombia, MD, then are going to the zombie walk in Silver Spring later in the day. I always like to check MD liquor shops for the different selection when able... any favorites in either Colombia or Silver Spring, or along the way from VA?
Down that area Perfect Pour is solid. They have had barrel selects in the past but not sure about right now. If you want Pappy hit up Pine Orchard but be prepared to pay secondary prices. Silver spring is considered Montgomery county I think so availability is searchable online.

Fdw
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:00 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
I saw plenty of Four Roses Single Barrel and Four Roses Small Batch at the supermarket yesterday for 17 and 14 bucks respectively. Are these any good or just run of the mill bourbon?
Solid bourbon. Those are amazing prices. Typically 30-35 here in MD.

Fdw
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Solid bourbon. Those are amazing prices. Typically 30-35 here in MD.

Fdw
Same here. I can't recall seeing it under $30.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:26 am

Those are fantastic prices. The only places I've seen anything similar are Costcos with sale items (e.g. a Lagavulin 16 for ~$45, which is less than half what it goes for in VA ABC shops), and courtesy of a friend who shops at "Class 6" stores (e.g. at the military PX, where apparently it's tax-free).

I really like the single barrel Four Roses, but it usually sets me back $40.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.