Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best & worst Bourbon?

Best & worst Bourbon?

Old Mar 27, 15, 8:44 am
  #421  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ECP
Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Posts: 22,655
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
I'm not exactly sure where the truth lies at Balcones and Chip Tate but I know one thing: Chip Tate worked hard at crafting a product that he could be proud of. That philosophy can clash with investors who focus on the bottom line. I think he left enough of a legacy at Balcones that they'll still put out good stuff....

Old Weller 107 is one of the best bargains in whiskey. Same mash bill as Pappy at a fraction of the price. Weller 12 also ranks up there. I bought a case of Old Weller for gifts and have plowed through it sadly; leaving me with only 1 bottle left... I would really urge you to try Four Roses again. Not the Yellow Label but the Single Barrel or Small Batch. For years Four Roses sent their best stuff to Japan but they reveresed that trend in recent year (probably starting in 2008). Jim Rutledge is a master distiller and they are really killing it recently. Probably some of my favorite stuff. They do a lot of private barrels for stores that are also nice to look for.

I love having whisky at the end of a hard day... really brings life into focus!

FDW
I will look for the Weller and Four Roses too. Like TMOliver, I'm old enough to remember Four Roses as a bottom shelf brand so thanks to this thread, I am being reeducated.

I like a whiskey at the end of the day to make life a little fuzzier. No reason I shouldn't enjoy every sip though.
BamaVol is offline  
Old Mar 27, 15, 12:30 pm
  #422  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,672
Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
I will look for the Weller and Four Roses too. Like TMOliver, I'm old enough to remember Four Roses as a bottom shelf brand so thanks to this thread, I am being reeducated.

I like a whiskey at the end of the day to make life a little fuzzier. No reason I shouldn't enjoy every sip though.
FDW speaks the truth. 4R has been crushing it - still great availability and reasonable prices. No reason not to keep a few bottles on your shelf.
thelark is offline  
Old Mar 27, 15, 1:07 pm
  #423  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ECP
Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Posts: 22,655
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
Old Weller 107 is one of the best bargains in whiskey. Same mash bill as Pappy at a fraction of the price. Weller 12 also ranks up there. I bought a case of Old Weller for gifts and have plowed through it sadly; leaving me with only 1 bottle left... I would really urge you to try Four Roses again. Not the Yellow Label but the Single Barrel or Small Batch. For years Four Roses sent their best stuff to Japan but they reveresed that trend in recent year (probably starting in 2008). Jim Rutledge is a master distiller and they are really killing it recently. Probably some of my favorite stuff. They do a lot of private barrels for stores that are also nice to look for.

I love having whisky at the end of a hard day... really brings life into focus!

FDW
The 4R small batch is $29.99 at the local Mega-ABC. That's a very attractive price point. I have guests due in a couple weeks and usually gift them with a bottle of something. I believe I now have a plan.
BamaVol is offline  
Old Mar 27, 15, 1:42 pm
  #424  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,522
FIL Swede asked me to pick up two bottles of this...

https://blogofbourbon.wordpress.com/...single-barrel/

One he's keeping here, the other he's bringing back to Sweden.
pseudoswede is online now  
Old Mar 27, 15, 6:43 pm
  #425  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,672
Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
The 4R small batch is $29.99 at the local Mega-ABC. That's a very attractive price point. I have guests due in a couple weeks and usually gift them with a bottle of something. I believe I now have a plan.
Skip the small batch and go for the single barrel if they have it. Should be <$40.
thelark is offline  
Old Mar 27, 15, 8:02 pm
  #426  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 53,085
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
FIL Swede asked me to pick up two bottles of this...

https://blogofbourbon.wordpress.com/...single-barrel/

One he's keeping here, the other he's bringing back to Sweden.
FWIW, someone recommended to me blending the Old Weller 107 with the Weller 12 or Weller Special Reserve for imitation Pappy. I haven't tried it as I only have the 107 on hand. (This is the same someone who gifted me a small bottle of Pappy 20 for Christmas.)
exerda is offline  
Old Mar 27, 15, 8:22 pm
  #427  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,395
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
FDW speaks the truth. 4R has been crushing it - still great availability and reasonable prices. No reason not to keep a few bottles on your shelf.
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Skip the small batch and go for the single barrel if they have it. Should be <$40.
I prefer the single barrel as well.. if you can find a store pick barrel that's barrel proof those are great... I love higher proof whiskey (usually 115-130 is the barrel proof) and Four Roses makes a good one...Also the geek in me loves the different recipes that Four Roses has... However, if you ever see the limited edition small batch please pick it up.... it's significantly more (~$80) but usually excellent. This years was good; the previous years amazing...

Originally Posted by exerda View Post
FWIW, someone recommended to me blending the Old Weller 107 with the Weller 12 or Weller Special Reserve for imitation Pappy. I haven't tried it as I only have the 107 on hand. (This is the same someone who gifted me a small bottle of Pappy 20 for Christmas.)

Ahh poor man's pappy...


I did a 40/60 mix of Weller 12/Weller 107... it's pretty good but honestly I prefer the products as a stand alone...

FDW
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Mar 28, 15, 6:23 am
  #428  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ECP
Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Posts: 22,655
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Skip the small batch and go for the single barrel if they have it. Should be <$40.
It was and I did. It was yesterday afternoon so you must have been sending the vibe prior to posting.
BamaVol is offline  
Old Apr 7, 15, 8:18 pm
  #429  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 8
Elijah Craig's 18

Elijah Craig's 18, I like mixing it with Scofflaw cocktail.
lea25 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 15, 6:40 am
  #430  
Aman Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,395
Originally Posted by lea25 View Post
Elijah Craig's 18, I like mixing it with Scofflaw cocktail.
Elijah Craig 18 was one of the best values in bourbon and my favorite. Too bad it's been off the market since 2012 I think. The 20+ yr releases they've been putting out are over Oakes and overpriced imo.
Fdw
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old May 1, 15, 6:23 pm
  #431  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 53,085
VA ABC stores in this area just got in Stagg, Jr., at $50/bottle and a whopping 134.4 proof. I have to say it's not bad even neat and smoother-drinking than one would expect for such a high-test bourbon. It's going fast, though; stores which showed 5 in stock yesterday show 0 today, and I picked up the last bottle at one of the stores along my commute.
exerda is offline  
Old May 1, 15, 9:25 pm
  #432  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
Elijah Craig 18 was one of the best values in bourbon and my favorite. Too bad it's been off the market since 2012 I think. The 20+ yr releases they've been putting out are over Oakes and overpriced imo.
Fdw
Pretty sure I just read that EC18 will be back on the market by the end of the year. Price will likely be significantly higher though ($100+).
broadwayblue is offline  
Old May 1, 15, 11:36 pm
  #433  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Snooky
Posts: 2,508
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
VA ABC stores in this area just got in Stagg, Jr., at $50/bottle and a whopping 134.4 proof. I have to say it's not bad even neat and smoother-drinking than one would expect for such a high-test bourbon. It's going fast, though; stores which showed 5 in stock yesterday show 0 today, and I picked up the last bottle at one of the stores along my commute.
It's awesome and a great way to singe off pesky unwanted nose hairs. I usually put a couple cubes in it to good effect.
whackyjacky is offline  
Old May 4, 15, 9:30 am
  #434  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,672
interesting - stores around here have had it sitting for months. price is a bit higher though, I think closer to 70. I'd grab it at 50.
thelark is offline  
Old May 12, 15, 8:46 pm
  #435  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,672
Figured this doesn't deserve its own thread and is just as likely to get an answer here: anyone have experience with willett 7yr rye? Found a place with some in stock and wondering if it's worth grabbing.
thelark is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread