FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best & worst Bourbon?
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:44 am
BamaVol
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I'm not exactly sure where the truth lies at Balcones and Chip Tate but I know one thing: Chip Tate worked hard at crafting a product that he could be proud of. That philosophy can clash with investors who focus on the bottom line. I think he left enough of a legacy at Balcones that they'll still put out good stuff....

Old Weller 107 is one of the best bargains in whiskey. Same mash bill as Pappy at a fraction of the price. Weller 12 also ranks up there. I bought a case of Old Weller for gifts and have plowed through it sadly; leaving me with only 1 bottle left... I would really urge you to try Four Roses again. Not the Yellow Label but the Single Barrel or Small Batch. For years Four Roses sent their best stuff to Japan but they reveresed that trend in recent year (probably starting in 2008). Jim Rutledge is a master distiller and they are really killing it recently. Probably some of my favorite stuff. They do a lot of private barrels for stores that are also nice to look for.

I love having whisky at the end of a hard day... really brings life into focus!

FDW
I will look for the Weller and Four Roses too. Like TMOliver, I'm old enough to remember Four Roses as a bottom shelf brand so thanks to this thread, I am being reeducated.

I like a whiskey at the end of the day to make life a little fuzzier. No reason I shouldn't enjoy every sip though.