Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:14 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by exerda
The 10 year Ancient Ancient Age is decent drinking, particularly considering the value. Unfortunately, I don't think Buffalo Trace puts it out any longer.

There is also a 10 Star Ancient Ancient Age (no age statement, but supposedly around 6 years old, and 90 proof), which is... well, at least it's not swill. It's drinkable, and super-cheap. I think around here it goes for $19 for 1.75L. I keep some on hand for the much-less-discerning bourbon drinkers who stop by our home. I could see it being OK as a mixer for a cocktail where the bourbon isn't the predominant element.
I haven't seen the 10 yo Ancient Age Age in years.. from what I understand it's still put out but only a Kentucky release.... it was definitely a decent drinker...

Just noticed recently that the latest bottle of Rittenhouse Rye I purchased didn't have an age statement.. not sure if this is a new change with the new labeling or something that's been around for a while... in the price range I prefer the Sazerac rye but it has turned almost impossible to find... I did just try the new Pikesville Rye with a 6 yo age statement... no real nose that I could pick up but quite a nice spicy rye finish... unfortunately it was $55 a bottle which is way overpriced....

This whiskey season should be interesting.. I've heard that there is 60% less bottles of George T Stagg released versus last year; which is one of my favorites....

FDW
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
This is easily my favorite thread on FlyerTalk. Much more informative and interesting than reading seventeen pages about the best carry-on luggage or someone's ego-boost of a Trip Report.

Now I have to add Sazerac rye to my list. I did pick up a bottle of Very Old Barton (86 proof). Have not opened it yet.

Last edited by DaveBlaine; Sep 29, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
...in the price range I prefer the Sazerac rye but it has turned almost impossible to find...
I am also a long time fan of Sazerac Rye and I've also had problems finding it over the years. There've been long stretches when my liquor store can't get it at all, so I've learned to stock up when I see it. When forced to buy something else I've been pleased with High West Whiskey's 21 yo Rocky Mountain Rye which, while more expensive than the Sazerac, is excellent stuff.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:36 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
I am also a long time fan of Sazerac Rye and I've also had problems finding it over the years. There've been long stretches when my liquor store can't get it at all, so I've learned to stock up when I see it. When forced to buy something else I've been pleased with High West Whiskey's 21 yo Rocky Mountain Rye which, while more expensive than the Sazerac, is excellent stuff.
Are you talking about the Sazerac 6 yo or the 18 yo... the 6 has been elusive; the 18 yo almost invisible.... I've tried the HW 21 yo Rocky Mountain Rye but haven't seen any of that in many years.. I know High West released a new version of the 16 yo Rye just recently...

FDW
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Are you talking about the Sazerac 6 yo or the 18 yo... the 6 has been elusive; the 18 yo almost invisible.... I've tried the HW 21 yo Rocky Mountain Rye but haven't seen any of that in many years.. I know High West released a new version of the 16 yo Rye just recently...
A couple of MoCo liquor stores had the High West 21 until very recently. I made the mistake of putting off a drive around the beltway, and called to confirm availability--ah, sold out! "Maybe we'll get some more." Not likely, IMHO.

It was pricey at around $140, but for a 21 year old spirit... I'd have bought it.

Next time I find Sazerac 6, I'm buying multiple bottles. Unfortunately, my favorite rye at the moment is Whistlepig, which of course tempts me to buy a bottle of the Boss Hog and set myself back nearly $200. I did splurge on a Catoctin Creek Cask Proof rye today ($89 for Catoctin Creek), but it's quite tasty and according to the bottle 1 of 66 bottles in this batch. Not $89 great, mind you, and with no significant age to it... but still pretty nice, and I don't really like their Roundstone Rye that much. Maybe it's the pricetag effect, and I just like it more because it cost more?

Just noticed recently that the latest bottle of Rittenhouse Rye I purchased didn't have an age statement.. not sure if this is a new change with the new labeling or something that's been around for a while...
Same here. I have noticed a few different whiskies which have very different labeling even on the shelves next to each other right now, but there's nary a trace of age statement on the Rittenhouse I got earlier this year or the one I picked up to backfill recently.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle

FDW
I mean the Sazerac 6. I agree the 6 is elusive, but the 18 is almost mythical -- I think perhaps I've seen it once and I regret not buying it. The 6, when I can find it, is usually under $40 so I'll buy as many as I can since there still seem to be times when it disappears for a while. At least these days there are many more ryes to choose from; it wasn't that long ago that it was tough to find anything other than Old Overholt or J Beam yellow label.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by exerda
A couple of MoCo liquor stores had the High West 21 until very recently. I made the mistake of putting off a drive around the beltway, and called to confirm availability--ah, sold out! "Maybe we'll get some more." Not likely, IMHO.

It was pricey at around $140, but for a 21 year old spirit... I'd have bought it.

Next time I find Sazerac 6, I'm buying multiple bottles. Unfortunately, my favorite rye at the moment is Whistlepig, which of course tempts me to buy a bottle of the Boss Hog and set myself back nearly $200. I did splurge on a Catoctin Creek Cask Proof rye today ($89 for Catoctin Creek), but it's quite tasty and according to the bottle 1 of 66 bottles in this batch. Not $89 great, mind you, and with no significant age to it... but still pretty nice, and I don't really like their Roundstone Rye that much. Maybe it's the pricetag effect, and I just like it more because it cost more?

Same here. I have noticed a few different whiskies which have very different labeling even on the shelves next to each other right now, but there's nary a trace of age statement on the Rittenhouse I got earlier this year or the one I picked up to backfill recently.
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
I mean the Sazerac 6. I agree the 6 is elusive, but the 18 is almost mythical -- I think perhaps I've seen it once and I regret not buying it. The 6, when I can find it, is usually under $40 so I'll buy as many as I can since there still seem to be times when it disappears for a while. At least these days there are many more ryes to choose from; it wasn't that long ago that it was tough to find anything other than Old Overholt or J Beam yellow label.

I haven't tried the Catoctin Creek before.. the Whistle Pig stuff is good but their marketing bothered me a lot before...I didn't like how they were elusive about the origin of their whiskey... I'm quite happy though that they've decided to come clean about it... I hate being the guy who cleans the shelf of Sazerac but I love it so I do the same...

I'm quite lucky that I've been drinking the brown stuff for a while so I have left a bottle of the Rittenhouse 21 yo, Van Winkle Rye and Sazerac 18 in my bunker... but for my day to day drinker, Sazerac 6 yo is #1 for me...

FDW
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:05 pm

has anyone tried michters barrel proof rye? wondering if it's worth $75.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club
Signature James Beam is very smooth and widely available. I'm still very much a Bourbon tasting novice though.

Interesting Fact: If Jack Daniels wasn't filtered by charcoal, it would also be classified as a bourbon.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by TallTitan
Signature James Beam is very smooth and widely available. I'm still very much a Bourbon tasting novice though.

Interesting Fact: If Jack Daniels wasn't filtered by charcoal, it would also be classified as a bourbon.
I have been meaning to try the Signature Jim Beam. I see there are a few different styles. Interested in their Single Barrel as well.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:40 pm

Black Maple Hill Small Batch Bourbon was my favorite bourbon for years. Unfortunately, it was discontinued a couple years ago. It's weird seeing a $40 bourbon sell for $300+ now. I liked it a lot but it is not $300 good...
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What do people think of Michter's No 1 Bourbon? I was at Berry Bros & Rudd in London a few days ago and saw this:

Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by thelark
has anyone tried michters barrel proof rye? wondering if it's worth $75.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What do people think of Michter's No 1 Bourbon? I was at Berry Bros & Rudd in London a few days ago and saw this:
Ahh Michter's.. what an enigmatic bottler of whiskey... where does their product come from? who knows... their aged products (both the 10 yr rye and bourbon) of yore (4-5 years ago) achieved almost legendary status... the rumor was that the contents of the bottles were much much older than the label stated... they were highly valued, especially the rye.. however, recent releases have been mostly disappointing.. the 2014 10 yr Rye is viewed as fairly pedestrian and overpriced... Then, Michter's also released the ridiculous Celebration edition, which I've been fortunate enough to try...

http://i.imgur.com/pnx0DkH.jpg

As to whether these specific bottles are worth the money? I wouldn't spend it... if you're looking for a barrel proof rye that is worth $75 then try to get your hands on the Thomas Handy Rye. It's the most widely available of the Buffalo Trace Antiques Collections and quite a nice drinker... I"m willing to bet that Michter's rye comes from the same place most of the rest of the rye sold in America is- LDI in Indiana...

I'ld also skip the bourbon... at 58 GBP I would look for something with an age statement.. I don't know if you can get Smooth Ambler over in the UK, but they are doing a nice job on their 7 and 10 yo product (also note that they these too are acquired bourbons... though they are producing their own...)

Actually Jack Daniels does meet all the legal US requirements to be called bourbon.

- Produced in the United States
- Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn
- Aged in new, charred oak barrels
- Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)
- Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)
-Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)

Source

But Jack Daniels and George Dickel also undergo the Lincoln County Process (charcoal filtering) which they then use to call themselves Tennessee Whiskey. (note that there is no federal identification about what constitutes Tennessee Whiskey).

Originally Posted by blackllotus
Black Maple Hill Small Batch Bourbon was my favorite bourbon for years. Unfortunately, it was discontinued a couple years ago. It's weird seeing a $40 bourbon sell for $300+ now. I liked it a lot but it is not $300 good...
The legendary Black Maple Hill.. another sourced product...bottled by CVI out of California... The older small batch stuff was good... I had a chance to buy a bottle of the 16 yo small batch in 2009 but I passed because I thought it was too expensive at $160... I saw a bottle sell just recently at over $1400.... buy yes the routine small batch at $40 was a solid drinker; though many viewed it as overpriced then for a bottle without an age statement.. now many will kill to buy the bottle at $40... have you seen their new release... it's awful stuff.. out of Oregon and priced at $90-100 a bottle.. if you want to try it then buy it straight from the source at Stein Distillery...

FDW

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 3, 2015 at 12:16 pm Reason: Converted HUGE inline image that caused bad horizontal scrolling to link instead. Please size pictures appropriately
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I like their Bottled-in-Bond product. For under $20, it's quite good.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Okay, but only around $30-$40. No way is it worth 58 GBP.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:25 pm

I actually just saw a bottle of the michter's celebration not 10 minutes ago and passed in it. Heading to CT and stopped at my favorite store - I'm 100% over the years stopping here with interesting bourbon and/or beer. Grabbed eh Taylor barrel proof and sazerac rye. Just finished the last of my 2013 handy rye last night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.