Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best & worst Bourbon?

Best & worst Bourbon?

Old Jun 24, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Duke787
Picked up Woodford Rye at the ABC this go-around. Was on sale and the other ryes were meh. Wish they had the $35 Eagle Rare in stock that I got 6 weeks ago (and sadly am almost out of) but that was a no-go too.
I don't know if you pass through DFW often but Eagle Rare is fairly easy to find in Texas, or at least East Texas. PM me a few weeks in advance of your next trip this way and I will be happy to go shopping for you at one of my honey holes in the GGG/TYR area.

Currently (sort of) enjoying an Angels Envy Manhattan. Cheap, store bought Manhattan mix is pretty meh. Angels Envy is a great sipping bourbon neat but it doesn't seem at all suited to a good Manhattan.

Edited to add: I'm curious what the bourbon intelligentsia here think I should do with my last 750ml bottle of Weller 12 year. I have one bottle left of Weller 12 that I bought about 5 years ago when the stuff was shockingly easy to find in Texas. While I enjoy Weller 12, it just doesn't wow me like it used to.

Should I keep the bottle forever as a fun conversation piece? Sell it? I could crack it open and drink it but based on my enjoyment level of the bourbon I feel like I'd be drinking money. I certainly don't place the value on it that it appears the online secondary market does...

Last edited by Herb687; Jun 24, 2020 at 3:54 pm Reason: Weller 12 musings
Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
I don't know if you pass through DFW often but Eagle Rare is fairly easy to find in Texas, or at least East Texas. PM me a few weeks in advance of your next trip this way and I will be happy to go shopping for you at one of my honey holes in the GGG/TYR area.

Currently (sort of) enjoying an Angels Envy Manhattan. Cheap, store bought Manhattan mix is pretty meh. Angels Envy is a great sipping bourbon neat but it doesn't seem at all suited to a good Manhattan.

Edited to add: I'm curious what the bourbon intelligentsia here think I should do with my last 750ml bottle of Weller 12 year. I have one bottle left of Weller 12 that I bought about 5 years ago when the stuff was shockingly easy to find in Texas. While I enjoy Weller 12, it just doesn't wow me like it used to.

Should I keep the bottle forever as a fun conversation piece? Sell it? I could crack it open and drink it but based on my enjoyment level of the bourbon I feel like I'd be drinking money. I certainly don't place the value on it that it appears the online secondary market does...
Thank you!. Whenever they let me get back on the road I'm sure I'll pass through DFW and will shoot a PM your way -- I'm down to one last drop of Eagle Rare and according to the NC ABC Warehouse website there is none left in the state (should've bought more than 1 bottle clearly). Sadly in NC we get a pitiful allotment of everything.

If you decide to part with the Weller give me a PM. Not looking to pay secondary prices (they are insane) -- just a Weller fan back when it was affordable (and FWIW, completely understand if you decide to go the secondary market route -- the prices are astounding which makes our pitiful allotment in NC all the more pathetic -- I haven't seen Weller in this state since 2017).
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
From someone who worked for the largest bourbon company in the world for 17 years. There is no best or worst. The first 51% of the mash bill has to be corn. The remaining 49% is why this thread exists. That remaining portion, and differences in aging are what makes the taste different. Experiment, and find what you personally enjoy. And it’s not always price that determines quality. One caveat- the legendary Booker Noe once told me “Once you get past 12 years or so, it starts tasting more like wood and less like whiskey.” Never forgot that one.
BamaVol and hhdl like this.

Last edited by TBRIC; Jun 26, 2020 at 3:44 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TBRIC
From someone who worked for the largest bourbon company in the world for 17 years. There is no best or worst. The first 51% of the mash bill has to be corn. The remaining 49% is why this thread exists. That remaining portion, and differences in aging are what makes the taste different. Experiment, and find what you personally enjoy. And it’s not always price that determines quality. One caveat- the legendary Booker Noe once told me “Once you get past 12 years or so, it starts tasting more like wood and less like whiskey.” Never forgot that one.
Thank for that contribution! Back in the 80's I mostly drank Booker's. It is far too strong for me nowadays.

I hope that people can clearly taste the difference between Jack and Jim versus some of the better bourbons in this thread!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, B6, DL, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by stimpy
Thank for that contribution! Back in the 80's I mostly drank Booker's. It is far too strong for me nowadays.

I hope that people can clearly taste the difference between Jack and Jim versus some of the better bourbons in this thread!
Even Booker added water to Bookers!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TBRIC
Even Booker added water to Bookers!
Yeah, but he was old then, right? In your 20's you can drink it straight. Or at least I did.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

If it was me, I’d sell it for the highest price and buy as many decent whiskeys as that money would allow, especially things I’ve thought of trying but didn’t want to part with the money for. Time to explore new territory.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by BamaVol
If it was me, I’d sell it for the highest price and buy as many decent whiskeys as that money would allow, especially things I’ve thought of trying but didn’t want to part with the money for. Time to explore new territory.
Yep, if W12 doesn't do it for you, sell it or gift it
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Four Roses Small Batch is on special at the NC ABC stores this month so gave it a shot. Have previously tried yellow label and was very disappointed -- but that was a few years ago so gave Four Roses a try since my palate has definitely shifted. Drank it neat but found it incredibly sweet -- almost like a sugar bomb in my mouth. Will just have to use it as a mixer going forward.

A shame because at that price point I also could've gotten Woodford (also on sale at the NC ABC this month) and I like that straight or mixed so would've been a better choice.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:50 pm

Just had the 2019 Michter’s Celebration. Fantastic pour, probably in my top 5, and just in front of the 2016 expression.

I’m local and will buy it. It’s a drinker for me (not a flip) - I’ll open it with you and share a pour on pickup.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 15, 2020 at 3:52 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maker's Cask Strength on sale this month at the NC ABC stores (reasonable $39.95). Holy cow this is good the sweet and spice balance is great -- this one is checking in at 110.4 proof. I'll likely go back and get another bottle before the sale ends at the end of the month.

Also scored an Eagle Rare -- the ABC store I visited had about 4 left tucked away in their "special and vintage" section. A "one per customer limit" but still good to snag given how hard they are to come by here.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Perhaps my favorite time of year

thelark likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by javabytes
Perhaps my favorite time of year
Happy (Old Forester) birthday to you!

Do you have a line on OFBB at retail? I've twice had the 2019 OFBB in restaurants and thought it was great (first time) and very good (2nd). Never once saw the stuff in a liquor store. The one review I read of the 2020 makes it sound like an excellent bourbon too. Did you crack open either of those bottles yet? I'm assuming they're 2020?
javabytes likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'm not a bourbon drinker but Mr CE is an Eagle Rare fan. We're at our local pub and the owner told him she'd score him some bottles next time she orders. (It's been impossible to find in Chicago retail stores since the pandemic, and bars can now sell bottles to go.)

Last edited by chgoeditor; Oct 15, 2020 at 7:30 pm
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Happy (Old Forester) birthday to you!

Do you have a line on OFBB at retail? I've twice had the 2019 OFBB in restaurants and thought it was great (first time) and very good (2nd). Never once saw the stuff in a liquor store. The one review I read of the 2020 makes it sound like an excellent bourbon too. Did you crack open either of those bottles yet? I'm assuming they're 2020?
Yes, those are 2020, and I've cracked one of them open already. It's definitely tasty, though I think I prefer last year's. I've been able to do alright these past two years at retail (or close enough to it).They go like lightning though, so it has involved knowing which days of the week the distributor delivers to each of the stores, and then proactively seeking it out on those days for the first couple weeks in September. Far more misses than hits. The only place near me that still has one at this point wants $800 for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.