Best & worst Bourbon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
An excellent post as always TMOliver. Nice that some people on Flyertalk still respect "to each their own". I'm only just starting to get back into bourbons the last few years after a bad experience with Wild Turkey on my 21st birthday, so it's very helpful getting advice from this thread.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm only just starting to get back into bourbons the last few years after a bad experience with Wild Turkey on my 21st birthday, so it's very helpful getting advice from this thread.
I had a similar experience with JD on my 21st birthday, but feel that I'm not really missing out on much by having avoided it since!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Faux pas? We all have our eccentricities, yours no worse than the guy in the UK who enjoyed rolling in slurry of aging cow manure......

The question is why? I suspect that we could line up a dozen "blind" Bourbons/Blends/"Sour Mashes" & Coke, all the way from the working man's friend, Old Crow, to some exotic bottling from a chic new distillery, and your reaction to tasting would be amazingly unpredictable. You had just as well buy "Ancient Age" as one of the premiums, if B&C is your tipple.

Even more unlikely to be meaningful beyond simply looking pretentious are those who order "name brand" Cognac and Coke. The once popular "Brandy & Ginger" was the sundowner of choice for those who traveled far and were exposed to the somewhat doubtful brandies bottled in strange places. Italian "Stock" is fine in "caffe' correto", and mixed with Coke or Ginger Ale provides a flavor not much different than using fine Cognac. For most who commit the travesty of Cognac & Coke, they wouldn't know the difference if the barman cozened them (which as once a long ago a barman, I'll promise you they will...).

Remember.... The reason folks in Georgia often mix locally (and illegally) distilled "corn squeezins" with ice tea is 'cuz the damnable popskull tastes so bad otherwise.

But man can repent and recover from sin. After all, it seems only yesterday that a popular drink in NYC was a "Manhattan" made with the mildest flavored of Canadian blends and "White" Vermouth.

I certainly agree, well, except maybe about the Manhattans.

I have ordered Lagavoulin and soda on the rocks while sitting outside on a hot summer night and the saltiness in the whisky makes it a damn fine drink. When my friends questioned my drinking this whisky this way I told them to &$@* off, as I liked it that way.

I have also really liked Manhattans made with Bullet, Whistle Pig and Jefferson rye. I think the key to a good Manhattan is the quality of the rye, the ratio of rye to other ingredients, and the quality of the cherry. Last ones I had were last month in the bar at Les Halles, while waiting for a table and they were yummy, with Bullet rye.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Scifience
I had a similar experience with JD on my 21st birthday, but feel that I'm not really missing out on much by having avoided it since!
Mine was with Lord Calvert Gin, so happily avoiding that that terrible spirit for the rest of my life.

But back to mixers, I had always heard that 100+ years ago men never mixed anything with their whiskey, but women needed to dilute it a bit and they were encouraged to add sweet mixers. Somewhere along the way, perhaps it was prohibition and bathtub gin, men too began to add mixers.

I used to add coke to bourbon, then I realized how much Coke I was drinking on a night out and then I switched to straight whiskey. And then I moved upscale and really appreciated the straight stuff.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Mine was with Lord Calvert Gin, so happily avoiding that that terrible spirit for the rest of my life...
LOL. In the spirit of the last two posts, I got bit by the Mad Dog on my 21st birthday and never went back either.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
LOL. In the spirit of the last two posts, I got bit by the Mad Dog on my 21st birthday and never went back either.
I was about that age when I fought tequila. Tequila won.

I couldn't even smell it for about 15 or 20 years without gagging. Eventually I had a student from Mexico bring a really nice bottle of an aged Anejo for the instructors in a course I was teaching. I tried it to be polite and it was a different beast. So now I really enjoy a good Anejo or Reposada. I can't drink the cheap stuff though.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Jägermeister on my 19th birthday. Never again.

(FT really needs a puke emoticon. )
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by stimpy
Mine was with Lord Calvert Gin, so happily avoiding that that terrible spirit for the rest of my life.
Mrs BamaVol was old enough to know better, but peach schnapps is not allowed in the house even 35 years after the incident.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:21 am

Just obtained a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 y/o barrel proof
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by thelark
Just obtained a bottle of Elijah Craig 12 y/o barrel proof
It's pretty good. IIWY, I'd try to "obtain" an 18.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
It's pretty good. IIWY, I'd try to "obtain" an 18.
I like the barrel proof Elijah Craig. The 18 yo was my favorite expression; sadly they stopped bottling it about 2 years ago. I remember paying only $65 for two bottles in 2009...

FDW
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I like the barrel proof Elijah Craig. The 18 yo was my favorite expression; sadly they stopped bottling it about 2 years ago. I remember paying only $65 for two bottles in 2009...

FDW
I paid about $65 each a year or two ago when I heard they were stopping production. Have a couple bottles in my bunker...maybe some day they'll be valuable enough to trade for a bottle of Pappy 15. lol
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:52 pm

Just found a bottle of 4 Roses Secretariat (signed by Jim Rutledge even) - anyone here have any experience with it?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:18 pm

Just found a bottle of 4 Roses Secretariat (signed by Jim Rutledge even) - anyone here have any experience with it?
No, but i'd love to. I have really enjoyed each of the 4 types of 4 Roses I've tried.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:50 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

It's a product only released in states with a triple crown race (MD, NY, and KY). It's the traditional single barrel product (~$35-40) repackaged in a fancy collectible bottle (3500 bottles). Released in 2013 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Triple Crown.

I've passed on it a number of times. Primarily because if I'm spending that kind of $$$ I want one of their Limited edition products (which was insanely hard to find this year)

FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.