Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by hillsidesedona
I really enjoy drinking a good bourbon.

My first choice is Booker's but at $50+/bottle and a special order, I don't drink it all that often.

My everyday drinking Bourbon is Wild Turkey 101 (NOT 86) so I guess that I'm one of the love-it types. What's funny is that a friend of mine had always drunk Maker's Mark and when she tried WT 101, she switched..so I guess I'm not alone in the love-it category.
What? $50 per bottle for Bookers? Special order? I used to buy it at my local liquor store for less than $20. That was a long time ago, but has the price really risen that much?

I'm too old for Bookers nowadays. Turkey 101 was always my go-to Bourbon, but now I'm trying out the newer small batch options and Rye.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by stimpy
Originally Posted by hillsidesedona
I really enjoy drinking a good bourbon.

My first choice is Booker's but at $50+/bottle and a special order, I don't drink it all that often.

My everyday drinking Bourbon is Wild Turkey 101 (NOT 86) so I guess that I'm one of the love-it types. What's funny is that a friend of mine had always drunk Maker's Mark and when she tried WT 101, she switched..so I guess I'm not alone in the love-it category.
What? $50 per bottle for Bookers? Special order? I used to buy it at my local liquor store for less than $20. That was a long time ago, but has the price really risen that much?

I'm too old for Bookers nowadays. Turkey 101 was always my go-to Bourbon, but now I'm trying out the newer small batch options and Rye.
I'm curious, do you drink the rye straight or in mixed drinks?
Old May 23, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
The bottle of Bulleit Rye sitting in my desk drawer is sippin whiskey.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

If you throw any $$ at it - don't mix.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I've had Manhattans made with Whistle Pig and last Friday night, Bulleit. The Whistle Pig version was very good. The Bulleit was a bit more sweet/aromatic than I like them but I suspect that was the recipe rather than the rye. I may pick up a bottle and try it, or try one straight up next time I am in a restaurant with one of the better ryes.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: A3*, A-Club PLT, AA PLT, Hilton PLT, Avis PLT, AR PLT
agree
Old May 24, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: A3*, A-Club PLT, AA PLT, Hilton PLT, Avis PLT, AR PLT
In fact I just don't get it. Can you really tell the differnce with all the mixer in there?

At BA F lounge, I do mix the top stuff. Because I can....
Old May 24, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by scubainstructor87
In fact I just don't get it. Can you really tell the differnce with all the mixer in there?

At BA F lounge, I do mix the top stuff. Because I can....
Depends what the mixer is and how much you use.
Old May 24, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Had a great bourbon in Denver at the Hyatt Regency but need to dig up the name. It was a local one and a little on the sweeter side. I wrote down the name but can't seem to find it. Going to try to track it down.

Edit... Think it was Breckenridge Distillery.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:12 am

Well, based on the suggestions of my fellow FTers I picked up a bottle of Bulleit rye when I stopped to get a bottle of wine to go with dinner. I am giving it a try straight up for a nightcap. Very retro to have a rye nightcap I think.

I do like it quite a bit. It is flavorful but not as sweet as bourbons I have had such as Blantons and some other single barrel bourbons. It is growning on me. It is a nice alternative to whisky, which I normally drink.

As far as mixing, I generally agree with the above responses to my question. I was just unfamiliar with rye except as a mixed drink. I do occasionally mix whisky as well, usually just with soda. A Lagavoulin and soda is great on a summer night, the salt and smoke in the water are really nice touches. I also recently had a stunning cocktail at Raines Law room with Ardbeg and another whisky in it.

But yes, the rye is growing on me! Thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Did anyone manage to get any Buffalo Trace Antique Collection or van Winkles this fall? I'm Baltimore based and pretty much struck out... through the grace of some friends I fell into a Van Winkle Lot B 12 Yr old, old Rip Van WInkle 10 and Thomas Handy Rye... but I missed the Stagg and Weller (my favorites...)

FDW
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:05 am

I was able to get George T Stagg, Thomas Handy Sazerac and Eagle Rare 17 in PA

Shipped the Stagg and ER17 to a friend - owed him.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:08 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thelark
I was able to get George T Stagg, Thomas Handy Sazerac and Eagle Rare 17 in PA

Shipped the Stagg and ER17 to a friend - owed him.
Wow you're a good friend....

Though I've been disappointed by the ER17- the ER10 is so good and so cheap though..

FDW
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:26 pm

In fairness, he also made me aware of its availability. It was online only through PA state and had to be shipped to a PA address. Limit of one bottle per person and it sold out in about a half hour.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Bourbon lovers might want to join us in LEX next April at the FT DO linked in my signature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.