FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best & worst Bourbon?
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:44 pm
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by thelark
Friend hosted a bottle share tonight. Had Bald Monk, full range of some older BTAC, California Gold, 1969 Old Crow, WFE Bourbon picks, OWA picks, RR picks, local KC, EC picks, lots of dusty turkey.

Pretty epic.
Killer lineup. Can't go wrong with any of those. I would definitely need a cab home.

Originally Posted by exerda
I've had the 20 and 21. Is this one which the sweet spot is actually older than that at 23, then?
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have no idea. I poured it because it was the bottle my friend was trying to steer me away from. I listened to him for the next glass and tried the Thomas Handy Sazerac rye, which I gather is also super fancy, but I liked the Orphan better.
The Orphan Barrel Rhetorics go from 20-25 years. While they change a bit year-to-year, there's no commonly accepted sweet spot for them. Thomas H. Handy, being a ~6 year, barrel proof rye, is going to stand out as young, bold, and spicy compared to a mature, 90-proof oak bomb like the Rhetorics.