Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I was 16 and got sick off of Halibut cheeks at Elliot's here in Seattle. Refuse to eat them now.

Nov 2007 I got deathly ill off of some frozen pizza. Threw up for 2 days straight then couldn't move b/c I was so dizzy for the next 3 days. Only thing that saved me was a cheeseburger from Micky D's 5 days later.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I had a very unfortunate experience with bad paella in Barcelona in Nov 05.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Ham salad last week of World Expo 88 in Brisbane. I was 10. Two weeks off school, ALMOST landed in hospital with dehyrdation. Still have trouble eating processed ham and cant handle too much sweet stuff.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by venice4504
I was 16 and got sick off of Halibut cheeks at Elliot's here in Seattle. Refuse to eat them now.
Oh that's a shame - one of my favorite things to eat ever. Blame Elliot's if you must but don't blame the cheeks!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: AS, UA, BA, Hyatt, Amtrak, AF
Date = June, 2003.
Place = Jake's Seafood Restaurant (the location on Route 1) in Rehoboth, Delaware.
Cause = Lobster Bisque.

Started throwing up in the middle of the night. Lasted all through the next day. Not a fun way to spend one's final vacation day. Jake's has great crabcakes but that experience made me really leery of returning.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I managed to contract giardiasis while in Fort Cochin in Kerala, after eating some non-gutted fish (I only realised this when it was too late).

Flared up a good few times before I could get rid of it, too. Responded well to metronidazole.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Brewgal
Date = June, 2003.
Place = Jake's Seafood Restaurant (the location on Route 1) in Rehoboth, Delaware.
Cause = Lobster Bisque.

Started throwing up in the middle of the night. Lasted all through the next day. Not a fun way to spend one's final vacation day. Jake's has great crabcakes but that experience made me really leery of returning.
I've also has a less than pleasant experience with Lobster Bisque at a local lunch place here. Horrible...still can't eat Lobster Bisque.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Had food poisoning three times. Once was from chicken fingers that weren't cooked completely at a Ruby Tuesday's. Once was from grilled chicken on a salad from a local place when I was in college. The last time was the worst. Mr. Kipper and I both had fajitas at Don Pablo's. They were identical, other than he didn't eat the guacamole, I did. All three times it was horrible.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
When: March 2003
Where: Nobu, Milan
What: Sushi

Back at the hotel about 2 hours after dinner came down with a high fever, chills, shakes, stomach convulsions. Not a pleasant experience. But I must say the food tasted fantastic going down.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I'm waiting for a story in the local paper any day. BamaVol Jr #2 works as a cook at O'Charley's and says the cook who makes chicken fingers isn't good at remembering to remove the gloves when plating fingers and putting them on to handle raw chicken.

Last edited by BamaVol; Mar 1, 2008 at 7:41 pm
Old Mar 1, 2008, 6:12 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Worst was Campylobacter from a burger king in Kelowna B.C. about 12 years ago
Health department confirmed it.
Feel kind of Lucky it wasn't the b strain that produces bloody stool.
Started feeling it the night before, by the next morning I was as white as my bed sheets. Got up and made it into work for a couple hours spend about 1/2 that time in the washroom. Got home and didn't move from bed for 36 hours. I managed to clean up a little and made a trip to the doctor, test took a few days. Spent the rest of the week in bed or in the washroom. At the end of the week I was starting to feel a little bit better. Doctor got the test results back and called me to have my prescription delivered to me. Full week of ciplorofaxin which left me feeling pretty weak. While on that antibiotic I had to avoid sunlight and caffeine. This was during the middle of on of the hottest driest summers in years. In the end I lost 6 inches off my waistline.
I also had a run in with norwalk 6 years ago. It was very short but intense. I started getting dehydrated so I was battling muscle cramps in addition to vomiting furiously.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 4:35 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
My worst was from eating foods from street vendors in Manila, PH. It's hard to pin point the exact culprit, as I had eaten many things. I had mangoes sliced with a knife that didn't appear to be clean and might have just been used to cut up a chicken for all I know. I had also eaten kanin (rice) and isaw (intestines on a stick) from a street vendor. Then again, it might have been the oysters purchased in the wet market and prepared by a neighboring restaurant. I was always brave about trying different foods prior to this but Iplay it safe now. I learned my lesson after being deathly ill and having intestinal irregularities for weeks.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:06 pm

Oysters in a restaurant in Scotland. I've never been so ill in my life and have never had them since.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Something from one of the buffets on the Celebrity Millennium last year has to be in my top five. That evening was our first anniversary... never made it to dinner, and missed a cake specially prepared for us.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:16 pm

filbertos burrito about 10 minutes ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.