Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2008, 2:37 pm

Amoebic dysentery in Vietnam. You don't wanna' know how I got it.

Hitchhiker in my intestines from Peru. Wouldn't clear up, so the MD sent me for a visit from the Silver Stallion. I think it was the prep for that alien anal probe that finally flused it out. Colorectal surgen gave me a clean bill of health. So now I have a certificate to say I am a perfect A$$hole.

Me bride got a persistent case of the wobblies from a street vendor in Mexico. It finally went away, but the next time she donated blood we got a very scary letter from Red Cross. The #$%^&'s at Red Cross wouldn't say what they'd found, so we had to sweat out a week of tests on our own. We were terrified of Aids, 'cause we'd gotten covered on blood helping at a bad car wreck. It wan "only" hepatitus. Last donation Red Cross ever saw or will see from us!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 6:03 pm

Flight 209 to Chicago. The passengers and crew got very sick. It was the fish dinner. Everything ended up ok in the end, but it was a really bad flight.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 6:07 pm

Ok more seriously, this happend to a friend of mine's Mom, not me but... At a restaurant in LA called the Melting Pot. It was a wives night out. The men did their own thing and these 6 women went out for a dinner at this restaurant. After dinner they went back to one of the houses to have some coffee and enjoy the conversation. The house was a very modern 80's style. White furniture, white carpet, white accessories. (Ugly to me but whatever...) Anyway, about an hour after they got home, they all got violently ill. They were pooping and vomiting all over the house and none of them made it to any of the bathrooms in time. It was so bad they were all laid out on the floor and someone had to crawl to a phone to call 911. The house had to be remodeled...
Old Mar 29, 2008, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Ate a burger while attending a bullfight in Mexico City. Thought I was gonna die afterwards Hey, I was only 22 at the time.
Oh my. You were not smart at 22...

Did you notice that those vendors never have cats, dogs or rodents anywhere near those carts? @:-)
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL PM, SPG-Gold,
Some kind of fish, somewhere in Luang Prabang this past weekend (hopefully not L'Elephant or 3 Nagas, which were both excellent) and from which I am dying in bed in Bangkok right now.

Foie gras at Georges in Paris several years ago, which totally destroyed our New Year's trip.

And yeah, from time to time at some taco places in Mexico City.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:59 am

Programs: ua mp
I got sick from almost every food or drink in Vietnam for 2 months until my body got used to it. The ice isn't safe but no one has learned to not give it to tourists. Even the food at the popular chain Pho24 made me sick. Just try to eat a lot of fried foods and NEVER eat raw vegetables.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:38 am

I got sick eating a sandwich on Alitalia. Everything people say about airline food is true! Was sick for a week in Rome. Nice pharmacists though.
Old May 5, 2008, 2:03 am

Programs: LH KL PC
duplicate
Old May 5, 2008, 2:06 am

Programs: LH KL PC
That's it, I've had it with oysters, never again in my life! Third time in a row that I get food poisoning and that oysters are involved.
We were in Brittany this weekend with my gf and went to a seafood restaurant. Ordered a huge plate with oysters, clams, crab and stuff like that.
I then spent the night in the bathroom once again...
Old May 9, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: Recovering Frequent Flyer
I ate salad. In Ethiopia. After I had lived there long enough to know better. It was peer pressure! After two years here, though, I figure I've gotten and fought off every bacteria and parasite known to man....bring it on
Old May 9, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Bad chicken. It hit me on board a sailboat off the BVI while in the middle of a squall. Great fun. I've watched my uncle eat clams from a backstreet vendor in Kowloon with no ill effects. Apparently I didn't inherit his iron stomach.

Last edited by finlandia; May 9, 2008 at 10:46 am Reason: typo
Old May 12, 2008, 9:04 pm
LGJ

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, and Starwood Gold
Chicken sandwich at Six Flags Great America...I don't eat in the park anymore!
Old May 13, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Pyin U Lwin, Myanmar. Curry.

This was the one and only time I had food poisoning despite years of eating street food in random corners of the world.
Old May 14, 2008, 2:15 pm

Ugh...Taco Bell. I don't usually eat there, but I was desperate. Turns out I should have just stayed hungry! I was nice and sick at my in laws house. What a drag.
Old May 14, 2008, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Ate strawberries off a street cart in Shanghai.

I washed them real good...but stuff happens.

(Where's the puking smilie?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.