Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by TRRed
Looks like we could have some more posters to this thread tomorrow:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16223079/
I am curious what caused it. They didn't say bloody diarrhea, so I wonder if it wasn't E. Coli and it was something else. Or, maybe they just didn't want to print "bloody diarrhea"...

After reading over the article again, I'm going to guess Salmonella (listeria is runner up)

Let's play a game-guess what illness they have...

Last edited by dizzy; Dec 15, 2006 at 4:42 pm Reason: guess
Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by PSUhorty
My only question is this...
How can so many definitively state what it was you ate that made you sick? Hell, I can't pinpoint what made me sick two weeks ago, although I can make an educated guess. W/out a pattern of other people being sick who ate the same thing or labwork, I just don't know how anyone can outright state what it was that made them sick.

Okay, got that off my chest. Carry on.
You're right to be skeptical. I used to be a claims adjuster where I specialized in restaurant incidents (i.e. alleged food poisoning, slip and falls, etc.) Most cases I investigated were from Gastroenteritis which is a funny animal, to say the least.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by dizzy
I am curious what caused it. They didn't say bloody diarrhea, so I wonder if it wasn't E. Coli and it was something else. Or, maybe they just didn't want to print "bloody diarrhea"...

After reading over the article again, I'm going to guess Salmonella (listeria is runner up)

Let's play a game-guess what illness they have...
One musn't have bloody diarrhea to have E coli.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 5:44 pm
DWP

Programs: UA 1K (thanks to UCBeau and Lucky), RCC, Fallen Hyatt Diamond
Food poisoning

Thai chicken pasta at a Cheesecake Factory. Ended up in the E.R. the whole
next morning due to the fluid loss. They didn't get a positive salmonella or e-coli test. Still haven't been able to go back there.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
One musn't have bloody diarrhea to have E coli.
No, but normally some/a large number will. Given there were 300 affected, I would say at least a good number would. Also, some would have HUS-which hasn't been reported yet. Finally, the article said that they had fever. Fever is uncommon in EHEC E. Coli. So, I'm going to stick with Salmonella (or listeria-runner up)
Old Dec 17, 2006, 3:02 am

It's completely unreasonable, but I won't go back to a middle eastern restaurant in the midwest where I got sick almost 20 yrs ago. It was a buffet, so I don't know what caused it. In fact, I can't even say for sure that it was the food at that restaurant that made me sick.

Nor will I go to another local restaurant (part of one of those big "casual dining" chains) that had a salmonella outbreak 15 years ago that sickened over 100 people. In those days, it was local news, not national news, and the local health dept allowed the restaurant to stay open until the outbreak became so widespread that it couldn't be covered up anymore.

In 2006, there is no reason to avoid either of these places, but I can't bring myself to go back.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Duhey2
Chinese take-out place on Mass. Ave. in Boston (near Berklee). It was one of those late night/post drinking stops. I woke up about five hours later and couldn't keep anything down.

The doctor said to wait four to six hours after the last time I vomited to eat. It took a couple days before I was back to normal.
I know you're talking about Nan Ling, right next to Supreme's Pizza. Oooh - so many bad mistakes ordering food from them at 2:30am just before they close. You'd think Id've learned my lesson the first time. Nope. But hey, when it's late and you're drunk and hungry, you seem to forget about the last time. I never had it that bad from there, though.

I did get violently ill from a little Vietnamese place (can't remember name) across the street from the State Theater in Portland, ME. Totally my fault. I rodered chicken and told them to hurry it up. It was the worst ride home all the way to Boston and it later was the first time I had called in sick to work in years.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by tkey75
I did get violently ill from a little Vietnamese place (can't remember name) across the street from the State Theater in Portland, ME. Totally my fault. I rodered chicken and told them to hurry it up. It was the worst ride home all the way to Boston and it later was the first time I had called in sick to work in years.
Reminds me of the time I discovered a cold cut tray in a conference room late in the afternoon. I loaded up a plate. Everything was pretty much room temperature at that point in the day. I'm not sure, but the potato salad may have been the fatal mistake. My 90 minute commute was torture of the worst kind. I did not know it was possible to clench for that long.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Big Boy Restaurant, Carpentersville, IL, french toast. An afternoon of extreme discomfort and feeling of impending doom followed by a terrible, terrible evening in the bathroom. I have never eaten french toast outside my own kitchen again (23 years and counting)!
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:43 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
first question the doctor asked me when I went into see him after getting it was. "have you eaten indian or chinese food in the last 24 hours?"

I had eaten both.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 2:50 pm

According to CNN, the Olive Garden outbreak was due to norovirus.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:30 am

Programs: Delta FO
When I was 14 and lived in Thailand, my family ate at the Tony Roma’s on Sukhumvit Road. I had ribs, and other American things. I remember feeling queasy during the long taxi ride home, and immediately going to the bathroom upon arrival. The next 24 hours was a blur, I hallucinated, passed out, threw up 19 distinct times, and eventually went to the hospital, where I was treated for the next 24 hours. We never got a name for it, but the doctor said it was some of the worst food poisoning he had seen. I feel bad for our maids; I missed the toilet a bunch of times, and didn’t make it to the bathroom 3 times. I have yet to return to any Tony Roma’s since.

Another time was when I lived in Ecuador. I had encenbollado (a fish soup for breakfast) and was feeling it immediately. Because I lived in a coastal city, about four hours from Guayaquil’s “modern-luxuries,” I had no choice but to treat myself. I stumbled to a pharmacy, bought the medicine recommended by my doctor in Guayaquil, and took it. After four hours of horror, I called my doctor again, and he told me to get a special medicine that I would have to inject three times at four hour intervals. I once again walked the quarter-mile to the pharmacy (no taxis passed) passing locals who looked like they had just seen a dead-man walking. I bought the medicine, syringes (produced and sealed in the U.S.A.), and a 3-liter bottle of Sprite. Then I paid a guy a dollar to take me home on his tricycle. I don’t know how I was lucid enough, but I injected myself with the first dose, and set my alarm for the next two doses. I was knocked out. I came to, and barely made it to the bathroom. I decided that I would just rest on the floor, instead of going back to bed. There I stayed for the next 16 hours. I don’t think the injections did much, because I lost 12 pounds that day.

I have had food poisoning about 7 times, but my other stories aren’t as interesting or graphic.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:30 am

Scallops. Restaurant in Georgetown (Wash, DC) named Third Edition. I believe it's now defunct.

M8

Last edited by Martinis at 8; Dec 20, 2006 at 2:13 pm Reason: sp
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Waffle House in central Indiana, about 18 years ago. A trip to the e-room, two rounds of antibiotics, two weeks on clear liquids (yes, it took two weeks before I could keep anything down without it starting all over again) followed by two weeks on bland foods...it was NOT fun. I have not eaten in another Waffle House since then.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tkey75
I know you're talking about Nan Ling, right next to Supreme's Pizza.
That's it! This was back in '91. I can't believe the place still exists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.