Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:14 am

Tunisia 1980 ~ got salmonella and was quarantined in hospital once back home, for 2 weeks. Lost 7kgs in ten days.

Boston (Legal Seafoods) 1998. We'd go to LS every visit but that was my last time. It was some sort of "Treasure ?...dish". Sicker than I've ever been, including the salmonella. Had to stay an extra week, luckily we we're staying in the Prudential building (Sheraton).

Last summer, in Cannes, from one of my favorite lunch dishes. An omelette ~ in one of my favorites restos! It took about 6 months to be able to eat eggs again.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: LH KL PC
Had a crappy looking turkey sandwich on easyJet flying home from OPO in January, got poisoning of some sort and had all kind of problems with the stomach for 2 weeks. Antibiotics finally cured it.

Came back from RAK yesterday, the 5 of us who went now have a combination of diarrhea/vomiting/fever/headache... but we have no idea what could have caused it... great
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
couple of years ago ate at Trophy's here in San Diego, bad cheeseburger. ended up in the hospital with kidney failure.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Two bad experiences...

First Subway in Queenstown NZ. Got offered extra ham for free ended up in Hospital and missed most of my rugby tour.

The 2nd and by far the worst. I was playing Rugby in Dublin, Ireland. I was taken to one of the top restaurants in Dublin. I had Dublin Bay Prawns. Ended up in hospital after days of sickness. Lost 12kG and lost my Rugby contract. Thankfully Dublin Heath got involved and prosecuted the restaurant.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:53 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by UCBeau
couple of years ago ate at Trophy's here in San Diego, bad cheeseburger. ended up in the hospital with kidney failure.
Yikes! Cheeseburger = kidney failure. That is very scary. Beyond botulism, wht happened?

I've been to Trophy's several times and keep it in mind for meeting-friends-for-a-burger location. Maybe not anymore. Guess it's back to Hodad's, although it seems far scarier, if one were to be frightened by this sort of thing. And I am.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Prime 112 South Beach, Florida over Xmas vacation. Ribeye steak.

I was either doubled over in bed, or running for the john for 24 hours straight. Started about 2-3 hours after I returned from the restaurant. I know it was the steak because I shared everything else with others, and they were fine.

A complete waste of a holiday day, and not pleasant to boot.

I used to love that place-but you won't see me back there anytime soon....
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:26 pm

Two Experiences in my life I can remember:

1) Back in the late 80's I ate a Reuben at the restaurant located ground level near the Ohare Hilton, can't remember the name. I then boarded a UA DC 10 in First Class for a flight ORD-PHL. Just as we rolled down the runway it hit me right then in seat seat 4D. It just got worse for the next two hours. Landed in Philly and waited for all pax to deplane. They almost called the Paramedics but I managed to walk off, barely and a friend drove me home where I stayed in bed for two days, then I was fine.
** Lesson to self, never, ever get on an airplane feeling ill! ***

2) About a year ago at the Subway in Terminal Three , upper level. It was about 10:00pm and getting ready to close. Had a tuna sub. Was already spending the night at an Hotel at SFO before catching my flight to LAX the following morning. Once again, it was awful 24hrs.. and again note to self..* do not get on an airplane feeling ill**

**After reviewing my previous experiences above...Note to Self...stop eating at AIRPORTS!**
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Buffalo wings at the Marriott Marquis (room service). Was sick for days, had to cancel Xmas plans, and fly home immediately. 8 pounds lost in 3 days.

Marrakech. Some higher-end place, too (all relative). Took the docs at Mass General who specialized in internal infectious diseases 4 weeks to tell me the parasite I contracted was so third world, they couldn't even identify it. That was good for 18 pounds over 4 weeks.

The Ritz - Newport Beach (NOT the RCL). Was so ill from eating salmon in the MIDDLE of dinner. Hit immediately, and lasted a good 12 hours. 2 pounds, 1 day.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
I'm a piker in comparison to what I've read here Though, this is one contest I'd rather not win.

I just remembered another incident... flew in to DAR from JFK via JNB. I was quite tired and had to show up at a reception right after arriving. I am usually quite careful with ice in drinks but... not that day. I paid the 24-hour price.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 1:03 pm

Fish and Chips that had been sitting a bit too long at a hotel in Connemara, Ireland. Had to stay an extra day at the B&B I was staying in. The B&B owners gave me a discount because I wasn't able to eat my breakfast and plied me with brandy.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
My son August '06. Couldn't pinpoint but could have been a street fair hot dog, waterpark pizza or Chili's corndog. Got so sick and dehydrated he was admitted to the hospital with kidney failure. Took him to the local hospital and they ended up transporting him to the bigger University hospital as he was in serious condition. Scariest time of my life. Test results confirmed Salmonia poisoning. Took a week in the hospital and 2 full weeks to recover completely.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lili
Yikes! Cheeseburger = kidney failure. That is very scary. Beyond botulism, wht happened?

I've been to Trophy's several times and keep it in mind for meeting-friends-for-a-burger location. Maybe not anymore. Guess it's back to Hodad's, although it seems far scarier, if one were to be frightened by this sort of thing. And I am.
i got so dehydrated that my kidneys decided it was high time to stop functioning.

I love Hodad's, and Rocky's too.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:21 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
In NW 241 FLL-DTW flight, on my MR to SFO. It was their typical breakfast offerings in F .. cheese omelette and potatoes. I think it was the potatoes that did it.

I was supposed to have filipino dinner with friends in SFO .. I did but it was an unpleasant one.

Very sick for the next couple of days
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA, PC Plat
I pride myself on having a stomach of steel, but there have been two times I met my match.

1) Deep fried ice cream, Chi-Chi's, Madison, WI. It hit me about an hour later, and it's possible I would have made it home but I drove by a canning plant that was processing sauer kraut and that was the end of my stomach.

2) Some Mexican place in Arlington Heights, IL. Looking back, the sour cream was a bit dodgy looking but I wasn't smart enough to avoid it. I felt rotten all night, but it *really* hit me the next morning when I was out doing site inspections with a very important client of the company I worked for. I vomited my way through four public restrooms before we decided to scrap the day early. Unfortunately, I had to drive from Chicago to Toledo that night for a meeting the next day, which was murder...
Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
First time in Italy a couple of years ago. I was stayed at the Grand Hotel in Florence and was given fruit and wine as an amenity. I drank the wine and took the fruit (peaches, pears, grapes, apple-- I think) on the train with me up to Rome. Had a couple of bites in my Rome hotel room (Excelsior) and went out to see the city. About 40 minutes later it 'hit' me Barely made it back to my hotel room (although at one point on the Altoarno while passing an emergency room entrance of a hospital I seriously thought of going in). Then laid circled up on the floor of my hotel bathroom for the rest of the night. Next day, as it was to be my last day in Rome, I forced myself out to tour the Vatican and other sites, all the while making sure I located the nearest w.c. I never once thought to call the hotel and ask for assistance, as I was too embarassed From that day on, I will NEVER eat fruit without throughly washing it first!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.