Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What and where were you eating when you contracted food poisoning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

A reuben at Corky & Lenny's Deli in suburban Cleveland triggered my worst ever food experience. Explosive reaction a couple hours later was accompanied by chills, fever and more delirium than usual. It took 2 years before I could go back in (I bought a bottled water).

BamaVol Jr #3 contracted food poisoning a year ago at Outback in Oxford, AL. He heaved for a couple hours before visiting the emergency room. He'll only eat steak at home since.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Pizza Hut in Xiamen, China.

Host was convince westerners couldn't handle Chinese food. I love real Chinese. And, she was proud of the city's newest modern establishment - Pizza Hut.

Had Pizza & salad bar. Knew it was a bad idea up front, but couldn't easily back away without causing my host to lose major face. Thankfully, it didn't hit until after my next flight, by the time I'd made it to my hotel room.

Started religiously carrying Cipro with me wherever I go after that.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
BamaVol Jr #3 contracted food poisoning a year ago at Outback in Oxford, AL. He heaved for a couple hours before visiting the emergency room. He'll only eat steak at home since.
Could it be that Junior #3 simply picked something up elsewhere if none of the rest of you got sick? Kids often pick up viruses and bacteria at places like school. I wouldn't blame Outback so quickly.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Lone Star Steakhouse near Wheeling, WV. I had a shrimp kebab with tasty yet undercooked shrimp. NW were nice enough to upgrade me all the way back to the east coast. Somehow the experience was ruined by me being doubled over in pain the whole time.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:38 pm

Noodles, Bellagio - Las Vegas. It was a bad as it gets.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by BamaVol
<SNIP> A reuben at Corky & Lenny's Deli in suburban Cleveland triggered my worst ever food experience.
I had an Apollo sandwich there last week when I was in town. Needless to say, my experience was much better.

The Fisherman’s Platter from DiMillo's Floating Restaurant in PWM had me hating life for a while.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 4:08 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Fell off the fantail into one of the Mekong's tributaries one morning 41 years or so ago, swallowing some water. Even the passage of time has not reduced the vividness of the memories. The resulting "Calf Scours" liked to turned my lower innards inside out.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Quizno's in Orlando, both my wife and I got it, came on quick, but relatively mild.

Worst wasn't a restaurant, but a scout camping trip. We had beef kabobs, I was tossing my cookies before everyone else was even done eating, and it took over a week to clear up.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 4:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Gold
Eggs at the Antarctic Centere

Was at the Antarctic Centre in Christchurch, NZ eating eggs before our 7 hr flight on a military C-130 (4 prop plane) to Antarctica. I got sick halfway thru the flt. It was without a doubt the worst day of my life. Thought at first it was air sickness, even tho I've flow for 20 years and never been air sick. Worst part was after I got sick, we still had 4 hrs of flying in a really loud plane before we landed.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Worst ever?Las Casitas(local mini chain)in Palm Springs.Many minor occurances in my adventuurous dining past.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
What a morbid topic!

I'm not so sure I didn't get hit w/the latest E. coli outbreak. Can't definitively say it was, but wouldn't surprise me if it were. Flew into IND last Tuesday. Arrived to my hotel at about 11 PM after making a quick stop to... you guessed it, Taco Bell. Did my business that following day, caught a flight to RDU and arrived there that evening (Wed.) Was woken up early the next morning with the worst diarrhea I've ever had. Two hours later, the vomiting started. Just twice though. Thankfully, by about 5PM that day, I started to feel 10x better. Quick hitter, it was.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:27 pm

2 times that I know were food poisoning or what ever( ecoli, salmonella ?) About 20 yrs ago at Red Lobster w/ fiancee( now husband, after we found we could live through food poisoning together, with only one bathroom, knew it was real life love. LOL) We have never visited that establishment (or spent quality time in so such an intimate setting) since.
The other time, was when on I spent 1/2 of month out of state and 1/2 in state, and decided to buy a chicken already stuffed to cook in my home away from home. No matter how tempting those chickens or porks chops look, in the supermarket.DON'T DO IT
Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
So far as I know, I've only contracted food poisoning once (and it was relatively mild). So, this is easy.

I contracted food poisoning from some escargot ravioli that I ate at a bistro in Manhattan's Meat Packing district. In retrospect, it seems such an obviously bad idea that I almost feel I deserved it. (Or, maybe I'm being too harsh on myself?)

I was in New York over the holidays and had to get back to Virginia so I could fly home to California (Mom's in VA; Dad's in NY). Fortunately for me, I was staying with a friend and her husband, both of whom are ER doctors. I had planned on taking Greyhound back to Washington, DC, but went for the more expensive Amtrak option. Figured that if I had to use a public restroom, better it be on Amtrak than Greyhound. Sure did answer my question as to why one would pay so much more to take Amtrak.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Ate a burger while attending a bullfight in Mexico City. Thought I was gonna die afterwards Hey, I was only 22 at the time.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:09 pm

Outback in Arlington, TX. Last time I ever ordered anything medium rare. This location is no longer there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.