Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: One Star 'n Sky
From my 2009 travel menu:

- loaf or two challah bread (freshly baked, purchased at bakery day before trip, 50% off after coupon)

- up to 10 delicious chocolate bars (ex.: stocking up this week on Lindt brand 3.5oz at 80% off after coupons)

- up to 10 organic fruit things or "energy" bars (ex.: Cliff Kid brand at 5c each after coupons at Wholefoods, or free after coupons at Kroger)

- an assortment of "energy" bars (Zone brand - stock up for free after coupons, SoyJoy brand - regularly available at $0 after coupons and/or rebates from RiteAid, CVS, Walgreens, Longs etc. stores)

- optional: dried nuts and fruits (cran/rasp/blue/straw-berries, apples, apricots)

- an assortment of restaurant coupons (free or 2-for-1) - to use as backup in case of delays
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
My favorite is a sandwich on a roll with homemade pastrami or smoked pork loin, cheese, lettuce, and any 'wet' condiments (mustard or whatever) layered between the slices of meat, not touching the bread. For snacking I always carry a ziploc bag of homemade beef jerky and another one with roasted or smoked almonds. A pre-sliced apple or two in a bag works well too; after cutting it up, coat the surfaces with lemon juice (shaking in a plastic bag works) to keep it from turning brown with oxidation. A paper towel or two are better than cocktail napkins.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=SkyVillager;11100103]From my 2009 travel menu:

-
- up to 10 delicious chocolate bars (ex.: stocking up this week on Lindt brand 3.5oz at 80% off after coupons)

-
-
what?? where are you getting coupons for 80% off Lindt chocolate bars?? I love those.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:59 am

If I'm leaving from home to go to the airport, I like to pack a peanut butter and jelly sandwich; an apple; and some granola bars. Sure, it's nothing fancy, but the food travels quite well.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Watch the PB these days. I heard that the Samonella problem has been around for quite a while.

DD
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:08 pm

About the PB&J, peanut allergy is an airborne one, and some people are WICKED allergic (like me) and could face complications if in a closed in area (like a plane) around peanut butter.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
PB&J is a great option. We also use Subway (double meat no lettuce or tomatoes) for various longer flights (the veggies get bad at room temps.). Our favorite sandwich is from Von's (Safeway, etc.) which is the Primo Italiano -- it is perfect because it doesn't have fresh vegetables or mayonaise. We have bought them in LA and in Hawaii. They stand up to room temprature and are really tasty (a better option than the BMT).

My basic thought is that any lettuce, tomato, etc. will spoil during flight. Like a previous poster, we have also been offered $$$ for sandwiches we have brought on.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Peanut butter & jelly on whole wheat. It's pretty durable.
me too!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 6:57 pm
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
Early eats

Sliced apples are great--fresh and juicy and satisfying. Clean as well.
Discreet.

Trail mix: always a good bet, so keep really good trail mix (from health food shops) in your carry on.

Yes, PBJ whole wheat sandwich is a great idea...also clean and refreshing, lots of protein.

I also carry dark chocolate...70 per cent cacao.

Oh, and hi to you guys with the stinky cheese...would be fun to watch you enjoying it. Cheers and bon appetit!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Shawerma or other wrapped delicacies.. Would love to have sweet durian sandwitch onboard!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:31 am

Outbound to Kauai it was an In 'n Out run where I waited in AC with carry ons (we had connection from JFK) while DH and kidlets hopped the Spot shuttle to nab about 10 Double/Doubles to take on flight (of course each had one while waiting for flight) and they drank their strawberry shakes on way back to airport. Seems like TSA's used to the "boxes". Loads of ?? (where'd you get THAT) while waiting for flight and while boarding.
Returning home on late night red-eye connecting to early JFK/LAX (not much to choose from there) would do Costco run before leaving LIH. Usually get some poke, some baked goods, nuts and something sweet from bakery (once brought a whole Cheesecake Factory assortment). Got teased going through security.. (they wanted some) and also was very popular w/flight crew (had exit row near galley) since we like to share. Kids got some hot cookies then .
Now to plan for our next "long flight days" meals.
Carolyn
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Usually get some poke

What is Poke?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by frank3355
What is Poke?
Kind of like Hawaiian ceviche / sashimi - chunks of fish (usually tuna) in a soy-based marinade.

Yum
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Kind of like Hawaiian ceviche / sashimi - chunks of fish (usually tuna) in a soy-based marinade.

Yum
Indeed.. Kind of reminded me of Chirashi Sushi..
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
bring a picnic

Fortunately for me I don't have to suffer the indignities of flying domestic as much anymore because I am based overseas.

However, when necessary and I have the forethought, I basically pack a picnic lunch. Cold cuts of all sorts, especially leftover steak make fantastic sandwiches. In fact, if I have a nice steak the night before I depart, I often don't want to finish the whole steak and pack up the leftover steak along with some extra bread.

I simply ice down my leftovers with ice from the hotel machine and the next day, I have the basis for a fantastic sandwich. Often the hotel mini fridges either don't have room or they are not cold enough to be food safe.

However I have been know to hunt down a good deli when in NYC (or other cities with a decent deli or even just a decent grocery store) just so I can have a fantastic meal on the plane.

If you have the breakfast buffet, take a couple pieces of whole fruit to pack for your lunch.

If you can pack your own picnic meal for a long haul domestic US flight, it makes all the difference in the world. Now if I could just bring my own wine on board we would really have something!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.