Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
sandwich or antipasto
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
When I have time to plan it out... one from the following for each 90 minutes of flight time:

- A cookies-and-cream Cliff Builder Bar
- Lots of smoked almonds - they work well
- A chunk of cheese, cheddar or pepperjack
- An Old Wisconsin or Jack-O-Links packaged beef stick or beef jerky
- Something from the Red Carpet Club in certain airports (like the cookies at LAX)

On TED flights, I actually like one of the $5 BOB boxes, I forget which one it is called but it has jerky and tortilla chips and a few other things.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Advantage (Platinum)
I always carry fruit (gotta get my 5 servings!) - apples and oranges always; peaches and grapes when in season and I know they wont be crushed. I try to bring enough fruit for the whole trip, as sometimes it's difficult to find fresh fruit to snack on around hotels, etc. and I like to have it as a pre- or post- workout snack.

Also enjoy having Nutrigrain bars and Odwalla Chocolate Chip Peanut bars on hand (former being a tasty snack at just 140 cals and the latter being a nice meal substitute in conjunction with a piece of fruit if I get stuck somewhere that doesn't have something I'll eat).
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
When in season, fresh figs and/or fresh dates... Quite good, and not messy at all. Throwing away date seeds is a minor annoyance only.

For something more substantial, spaghetti with tomato sauce and vegetables all mixed together. Not that messy to eat (no crumbs), and reasonably good even if cold...
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
New article today - MSNBC Best Airport food worth eating
I plan on trying the DFW one out in a few weeks an despecially like the take it with you after security part!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15293344/from/RS.3/
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:39 pm

Sushi rocks my socks off. For long flights, no raw fish, but something like a California roll. Never get jet lag when I eat sushi...kinda weird.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 4:16 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Sushi is a good idea.

I picked up a Shrimp Fried Rice on my way to the airport in SEA. I was going to eat it in my SEA-MSP flight but was so hungry that I ate it all while waiting to board. Now I think about it .. it probably won't be a good idea after all
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Posted this elsewhere but I think it is better suited here-
OK - I'm going DFW-ORD-LHR in a couple weeks. I will most certainly be sitting in Y on the 777 . So while I have no idea what is served in Y, and I'm sure I could do a search for it and find out was is in fact served, I really don't care what it is because I'm sure I don't want to eat it....

Lunch Course: Goat Cheese Salad Which is right around the corner from my eye dr. appt on my stop- over in DFW.

Dinner: Beverages - Apps: I plan on stopping in here - scroll down to DFW and picking up some beverages for the ride (I know you're not supposed to) along with a nice appetizer for my first course.

Any suggestions as to what I may want to get for my main dinner course out of either DFW or ORD?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 3:53 pm

Beef jerky, grapes, separate bags of almonds, trail mix, walnuts, peanuts, slices of salami. If in Asia, tropical fruits like mangosteens and rambutans, (but not durian!) making sure to offer to others nearby.

GO REDBIRDS!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 4:10 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
We (Mrs. Doggy Daddy and I) are taking the nonstop from EWR to HNL next month. Since it is a 10 1/2 hour flight with no warm fuzzy feeling that Continental will feed us very well back in the steerage section, this thread sounded interesting to me. However, with all of the helpful hints, I still think we will be hungry by the time we land.

Any useful suggestions for LONG flights? Since we will have a window/aisle seating arrangement, odorous food will not be a problem to our immediate seatmates. Can we bring a pre-packaged Sub sandwich with Mayo packages on board these days?

Any helpful suggestions?

DD
MareLuce likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:21 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Talking Our gourmet treats include:

Prior to eating use some of that 3oz of purel handwash stuff
To start
Cashews

Main
Washed and peeled shrimp, with dip of catsup/horseradish type sauce each in neat separate ziploc containers.

Veggies
Cold salad of thawed frozen corn, black beans with vinegrette

Chocolate bar and fruit

It does smell awfully good. I am sitting back in coach so sorry bout the aroma of my meal but a girls gotta eat on a coast to coast. Even the FA looked wishfully at our "picnic".
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chocolate bars for me.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:43 pm

I used to buy a personal pizza from Pizzahut, or some similar restaurant, the day before I travel, and just put it in the fridge and take it with me on the flight the next day. They come in mini pizza boxes, so it's easy just to throw in a bag, and not messy. But i must confess I like cold pizza haha!.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
DoggyDaddy,

How about a whole wheat pasta salad with veggies? It's healthy, filling, and if you toss it w/a little olive oil, it shouldn't be dry.

On long trips, we usually take disposable containers (like the ones for a 2lb. yogurt) filled with casserole-y type foods that aren't liquid but still not dry, low-sodium nuts (TJ's has excellent Trail/Trex Mixes), and Odawalla bars. Lay's stackers also travel pretty well.

I liked the grapes and cold pizza idea from others!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Broccoli (But only after making sure the air vent works )

I always keep a Clif bar on hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.