Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Used to carry peanut butter. Gave it up post 8-10. Now grapes (very good FT posters suggestion), crackers, almonds, chocolate, packages of cheese, M&M's ( perfect for travel) and my own tea bags.

Packets of instant oatmeal (and water boiler) for hotel rooms with disposable bowls and cups. A few plastic 'ware' items and my own napkins.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 6:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Reading this thread has revealed to me quite how undeveloped my tastes are.

I picked Starbursts.

Yada
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:04 pm

On the topic of offensive foods, I once sat next to a guy who was eating about 2 dozen spicy chiken wings, with his fingers

On original topic: granola bars, trail mix/nuts and chocolate
Old Sep 30, 2006, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by yadayaba
Reading this thread has revealed to me quite how undeveloped my tastes are.

I picked Starbursts.

Yada

They can be useful for keeping one awake on the late drive home from the airport (Same goes for Altoids )
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
My inflight meal

1. A couple of Clif Bars
2. Trail mix from Trader Joe's
3. Ritter Sport chocolate
4. Sandwich, here are the layers from bottom to top:
- Bottom half of ciabatta roll
- Artichoke spread
- Arugala or mixed greens or basil
- Sliced turkey
- Roasted bell pepper
- Prosciutto
- Tomato (either fresh or sun dried or both)
- Cheese (usually provolone or Havarti)
- Top half of bread upon which I've drizzled some olive oil and a touch of balsamic vinegar

I take the whole thing, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then place a carton of milk or juice on top of it to compress it in the fridge. Nice and flat package the next morning when I leave the house for LAX

I eat the sandwich first, usually as the beverage service comes out. If I am super hungry, I'll dive into the Clif Bars or trail mix. If not, I have snacks at the hotel.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
That's a sandwich I will try on the next trip-thanks Lance6-sounds delicious!
Old Sep 30, 2006, 6:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by cawhite

They can be useful for keeping one awake on the late drive home from the airport (Same goes for Altoids )
It's always nice to meet someone with the same refined tastes as ones self.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: Big 3, in all their incarnations
Originally Posted by darladelight
eating about 2 dozen spicy chiken wings, with his fingers
How else is one expected to eat wings, with chopsticks?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:22 am

When I really feel like ingratiating myself to my fellow pax, I'll bring along a large blue cheese and kimchi sandwich. People love it!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sprocket
How else is one expected to eat wings, with chopsticks?
He didnt wash his hands afterwords

Last edited by darladelight; Oct 2, 2006 at 8:32 pm
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by darladelight
He didnt wash his hands afterwords
I'd be as much grossed out if he didn't wash (or Wetnap) his hands before the ordeal. I do agree that the only wings that belong on a plane are the ones attached to the fuselage.

There are just some foods that are impractical to BOB. Fondue for example wouldn't work too well.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:50 pm

Personally, and no offense to anyone, i find it rather rude for people to bring food on the plane. There is nothing worse than someone next to you eating. I mean come on, you can't wait a few hours till you land? Were you running so late that you couldn't eat your sandwich on the way to the airport? On long transcontinental flights they serve food anyway.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
Personally, and no offense to anyone, i find it rather rude for people to bring food on the plane. There is nothing worse than someone next to you eating. I mean come on, you can't wait a few hours till you land? Were you running so late that you couldn't eat your sandwich on the way to the airport? On long transcontinental flights they serve food anyway.

Doesn't sound like you have to deal with a hub based airline on a regular basis. Consider having two legs, each around 2 hours with a 30-45 minute connection. Since we need to be near the gate around 30 minutes prior to take off to begin boarding that works out to about 5 hours of transit time, add the last minute meeting and the rush to the aiport and you're now at anywhere between 7 to 16 hours between meals. Arriving home at 0130 and having dinner doesn't allow for much sleep before starting your day 0500.

Don't really understand the difference between someone eating a sandwich that was carried on versus one that was handed out by a flight attendent, other than they planned ahead.

To bring this back on topic - favorite bring aboards are subs/grinders/hoagies depending on where you are departing from, trail mix, apples, bag of chips/crisps.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PLT
Personally, and no offense to anyone, i find it rather rude for people to bring food on the plane. There is nothing worse than someone next to you eating.
Actually I can think of something a lot worse. I do not think its rude to bring your own food on board - heck they suggest it. As long as people are courteous and have manners bringing your own food rocks.

I mean come on, you can't wait a few hours till you land? Were you running so late that you couldn't eat your sandwich on the way to the airport?
If you have multiple connections and travel frequently...eating airport food is not always the healthy option or is very limited or damn expensive. Even if you like airport food (DFW does have some good choices) sometimes you dont have the time to eat it unless you eat it on the plane.

On long transcontinental flights they serve food anyway.
On long transcons they don't serve food. They give you maybe some pretz or you can buy food. Their food (at least on AA) is something that has a long shelf life and packed with fat, calories, and preservatives. One of the snack boxes has like over a days worth of fat and most of your calories. But that's another story.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:50 am

Programs: AA PLT
Fresh fruit,
Sandwich (fresh mozz, basil, tomato, olive tapande or pesto),
Trail mix of sorts (that japanese one with the wasabi crackers),
Mentos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.