Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:14 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Returning home on late night red-eye connecting to early JFK/LAX (not much to choose from there) would do Costco run before leaving LIH. Usually get some poke, some baked goods, nuts and something sweet from bakery (once brought a whole Cheesecake Factory assortment). Got teased going through security.. (they wanted some) and also was very popular w/flight crew (had exit row near galley) since we like to share. Kids got some hot cookies then .
Now to plan for our next "long flight days" meals.
Carolyn
Thank you for this tidbit. We will rtn from LIH on 5 Mar and this is an excellent idea. :-: ^
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I'm trying to lighten my carryons so I no longer get so elaborate with onboard picnics, but I slip pre-packed snacks into my purse: Trader Joe's sells bags of 1-oz packs of trail mix, cashews, almonds that stave off hunger nicely. Smaller apples, sold in two-lb. bags at some grocery stores, are easy to eat onboard, as are those loose-skinned clementines. Trader Joe also sells good 72% Belgian chocolate in 3-packs of 1.65-oz bars. Still haven't figured out the "meal" part of the formula, though.

One food writer wrote about the gourmet composed salads she would bring onboard. When the FA saw the caliber of the food she was eating, she started bringing her some of the better wines from biz class :-)
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:42 am
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
I would bring Sushi ( rolls, poke)
some cheese and nuts ( the non smelly kind)
chips
a nice Sandwich
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:51 am

Sushi, from Whole Foods, Safeway, Trader Joe's ...

Raw vegetables - cucumbers, celery, green peppers - and fruits that have a high liquid content.

Sylvia
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:01 am

Programs: UAL 1K
Be careful with Sushi

If you like to enjoy raw fish based sushi items, be very careful about keeping the fish cold.

Raw fish will spoil unbelievably fast at room temperature.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by rally
what do you bring on a flight for lunch ?
My favorite thing when I'm flying out of SJC (rare these days) is a sandwich from Max's at the AA terminal - if you get it dry w/o condiments or veggies, it will hold up nicely for quite a long while, and unlike Subways their meat, cheese and bread are good enough to be palateable without condiments.

Bagel with cream cheese will also hold up nicely, as will yoghurt if you can find someplace that sells it after security. Whole fruit that can be eaten without a lot of mess is always good (apples are awesome for this as they are pretty sturdy...), as are the prepacked single serving cheese chunks ("Tillamoos" for one brand of them.)

Within security, going through of DFW if I'm in the terminal that has it I'm rather fond of Popeye's, although fried chicken is not the most "fellow passenger-friendly" choice.

I've also occasionally brought a dry chicken soup mix (just the liptop cup-o-soup although I'm sure there are better ones out there), and asked for a cup of hot water. Not bad when flying with a cold!

Oh, and Kudos bars for a sweet treat that's a bit more durable and less likely to melt than actual chocolates. Sometimes my wife will send along actual vegetables - carrots are a very durable choice, cucumbers are good in the very dry environment but don't travel as well.

Oh, and for very long flights, beef jerky is a good very durable one (although for international you need to be careful as virtually everywhere, foreign meat is a no-go at their customs, although Japan doesn't seem to care for transit-only.)

Oh, dried pineapple is another personal favorite.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:15 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Anything is good, so long as it does not have a smell. It's pretty bad having to smell someone else's food....or smell the overpowering smell of different dishes being eating by numerous folks nearby.
Not my fault the airlines don't feed us anymore. I'm not saying they will go back to the old ways if enough folks bring bratwurst and beans on board, but there was some planning that went into airline catering back in the day. And the grab-and-go food, if any, available airside at most U.S. airports leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:42 am

Programs: nada these days
Because I can't have gluten and not every airline or restaurant employee knows how to deal with that, I never travel without a fistful of Luna Chocolate Peppermint energy bars. Compact, nonperishable, cheap, reasonably nutritious, pretty filling, and they taste like cookies!

If I have time, I'll grab a salad at the airport if they don't look too wilted and hope they have gluten-free dressing (balsamic vinaigrette is usually safe). Breakfast is easier as long as I can find eggs and potatoes, though I don't usually take that kind of meal on the plane (and not everybody enjoys the smell of eggs).
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
$5 foot long.....
Only done this once but if you 86 the mayo all is good.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:28 am

Generally, Subway if I can find it in a terminal, when I'm in the Continental US and SJU. Overseas, I tend to be a little more adventurous. If I'm doing the Search And Rescue thing, sometimes I'll dip into my MRE's.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:59 am
Suspended

A roast beef sandwich and some bread with cheese. You can keep them for a long time. And some chocolate cake or biscuits is also a good idea, especially if you bring some kids
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:16 am

Once I got a cheeseburger and brought it on board a United flight. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room for both my laptop and the burger and there was a good amount of turbulence going out of SFO. I should have gotten one of those japanese rice bowl thingies.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Just as long it is not McDonalds...

Nothing worse that McDonalds food breaking down on a 5 hour flight from LA to NY!
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:57 pm

Ha, I am trying to find the thread on what food can be carry on and I cant find it.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 5, 2009 at 10:08 am Reason: Merged into relevant thread
Old Apr 26, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Stars4SA
Ha, I am trying to find the thread on what food can be carry on and I cant find it.
Do you mean from home or from the airport? I think anything u buy inside the terminal should be ok. Durian may be a bad idear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.