Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond

In light of the liquid ban and overall poor quality/cost of airport food, what are your favorite foods to bring on planes these days? I often fly a few times per week and would like to keep a good stock of items at home that I can grab and throw in my carry-on bag for outbound and returning flights. So far, I've thought of:
Peanut butter
Energy bars
Vegetable sticks (but maybe just one-way, as they should stay cold)
Tins of tuna
Cheese (that doesn't need refrigeration)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by dimsumfan
In light of the liquid ban and overall poor quality/cost of airport food, what are your favorite foods to bring on planes these days? I often fly a few times per week and would like to keep a good stock of items at home that I can grab and throw in my carry-on bag for outbound and returning flights. So far, I've thought of:
Peanut butter
Energy bars
Tins of tuna
to the tuna, everyone around you will hate you (even though it is delicous).

i like granola bars and fresh fruit, if availible.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:25 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by dimsumfan
Peanut butter
Energy bars
Tins of tuna
TSA would probably confiscate the peanut butter and possibly the tuna, under the liquid ban. They do confiscate olives packed in either oil or water, for example, and cottage cheese (considered to be a "gel or liquid"). Best to stick to things that are unambiguously solid (non-liquid fruit, granola, etc.). And if you do bring vegetable sticks, remember that no dip is allowed. Neither is yoghurt.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Well, if I can't bring my Wawa hoagie, then trail mix and a decent beef jerky should get me across the country.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by number_6
TSA would probably confiscate the peanut butter and possibly the tuna, under the liquid ban. They do confiscate olives packed in either oil or water, for example, and cottage cheese (considered to be a "gel or liquid"). Best to stick to things that are unambiguously solid (non-liquid fruit, granola, etc.). And if you do bring vegetable sticks, remember that no dip is allowed. Neither is yoghurt.

Saw Monday someone go thru Security with those little packages of Peanut Butter and TSA didn't care. Wonder if it is hit and miss. I was baffled at that myself.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I'd probably stick with those items I used to travel with before the current restrictions... Granola bars or energy bars, fresh fruit (bananas, berries, grapes), and maybe the Ritzbits with peanut butter (not sure if those or the grapes would make it through, but worse case is they get dumped)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:14 pm

A ziplock bag of almonds or cashews is good. A bag of beef jerky, just don't buy it in the terminal at airport prices. A ziplock bag of thinly sliced grilled chicken breast travels easy and is good finger food, but outbound only. A handful of individually wrapped string cheese is great. Can you tell I do low carb?

The envelopes of tuna might be accepted, but not the packets of mayo. Don't you find this tuna has less odor than canned?

GORP - good old raisins & peanuts. A BIG BAG of M&Ms. Pepperidge Farm cookies. Chips Ahoy. Little Debbie Nutty Bars.

Check the list at TSA.gov The current Food & Drinks section is shown below. Looks like most canned & jarred foods are out, as are single serving tubs of Jell-O and Pudding.

Food & Drinks
Carry-on / Checked

All beverages
No / Yes

Baby formula and food, breast milk and other baby items - These are allowed in your carry-on baggage or personal items. You can take these through the security checkpoints and aboard your plane. However, you must be traveling with a baby or toddler. All items including formula or breast milk will be inspected. Learn more on traveling with children.
Yes / Yes

Canned or jarred goods such as soup, sauces, peanut butter, fruits, vegetables and jellies
No / Yes

Cheese in pressurized containers
No / Yes

Duty free alcohol and other items (Please see our section on Duty Free Items)
No / Yes

Gel based sports supplements
No / Yes

Jell-O's
No / Yes

Pudding
No / Yes

Whipped cream
No / Yes {Who checks whipped cream?}

Yogurt or gel like food substances
No / Yes
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
The cans of Planters "Cashew Lovers" or "Pecan Lovers" nuts.

I usually sit in first and still prefer my own nuts. (Insert joke here)

Get me across country and to India in a low carb fashion.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:17 pm

Grapes get ^ from me -- nice source of liquid in these dry days and also tidy to eat.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I haven't flown since the more recent restrictions but I used to travel with sandwiches, fresh fruit like apples and grapes, and a 1 or 2 liter bottle of water.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Peon
Originally Posted by Telfes
Grapes get ^ from me -- nice source of liquid in these dry days and also tidy to eat.
Ditto, no cores to worry about like apples, or peels to deal with like bananas or oranges.

I like to stop off at a bakery and pick up muffins or scones, they can be nice and filling.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
On a recent trip I bought a prosciutto sandwich with buffalo mozzerella to eat. I had no problem getting it through security. I went really light on the oil so no one wold notice there is any on the sandwich.

I will always carry fruit on board in case I do get thirsty and want something nice and juicy.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by suthurn
Cheese in pressurized containers
No / Yes
Who eats pasteurized processed cheese products from pressurized containers? (Don't you dare call it cheese, TSA )
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:21 pm

Oranges and/or watermelon are great on an airplane now.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:44 pm

Programs: AP (peon level)
Talking

The best I ever had was a grilled proscuitto and provolone sandwich from the Autogrille restaurant in FCO. The problem is that I live in YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.