Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
if there's a Chiles and the airport I really like carrying on Chiles into the airplane. the problem is is that it has a pretty substantial odor and I think I irritate the other passengers.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:18 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Power Bars or other energy/meal replacement/nutrition bars that don't melt. I can usually order a box of them at a cheaper-per-bar price on-line from REI at a a couple of airline's on-line malls & get a few miles for them, and pick them up at the store (free in-store pickup). They're great when I get delayed & miss a meal, or when I'm trying to keep up on my workout routine and need something like that when I'm done with a workout.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:36 am

Programs: AA
For the plane and also for the hotel room (for all those times when you arrive just after every restaurant around has stopped serving), I like to take a little container of Triscuits and something to put on them or dip them in: cheese, salami, hummus, chicken salad, etc. I suppose any cracker or pita chip would do, but I go for Triscuits because the kind of food you get when travelling usually doesn't have much fiber in it, and we know what that plus long hours sitting on a plane can do...
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
On a recent trip I bought a prosciutto sandwich with buffalo mozzerella to eat. I had no problem getting it through security. I went really light on the oil so no one wold notice there is any on the sandwich.
Wow this sounds really good, where did you get it at?

Originally Posted by guy999
if there's a Chiles and the airport I really like carrying on Chiles into the airplane. the problem is is that it has a pretty substantial odor and I think I irritate the other passengers.
I feel bad for other passengers as well due to the odor, so I try to eat it quickly and then throw it away as quickly as possible when I am done.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Premier
Hard-boiled eggs don't get enough credit as a travel food. In the shell, they will last a couple of days at room temperature. Lots of protein, all natural, and they come packaged in their own bio-degradable carrying case. Little packets of salt and pepper are a must.

I agree that the smell of tuna can be a problem on the plane, but the tuna salad kits are terrific. They come with a pouch of tuna, mayo, sweet relish, crackers, and a spoon to mix it up with. The mayo and relish are technically verboten, but you can't see them on the outside of the package. I can't feel too bad about the tuna smell in that United sells snackboxes on board that include canned tuna.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:07 am
Suspended

Unless it is a long flight I find it best just to eat before I get on board. It means one less thing to babysit and carry on with me. On long flights, I'll just buy a sandwich before getting on board.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k,MM,Marriott G,HHG,SWG
a bag of unsalted almonds and beef jerky for me. Almost everytime.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 7:48 am

On a WN flight, the FAs asked a man if he wanted peanuts and he replied, "No thanks, I've brought my own" and then he proceeded to whip out a HUGE jar of peanuts. I thought that was pretty funny.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 8:06 am
cpx

Programs: Many
a Huge water mellon (within the carry on size limits)
will work as a good replacement for the water ban. @:-)
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:12 am

A nice big grilled chicken salad, with a light balsamic dressing. Even after the new rules, TSA has never said anything to me.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:10 am

I'm usually okay on flights, but often arrive after room service is closed.

I'll usually keep a bag of almonds and some jerky in my bag.

At the C-lounge, I'll grab an apple and banana to keep in my room.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:44 pm

I still bring the same things I brought before.

Nuts - Walnuts and Almonds (possibly with rasins if I feel like it)

Granola Bars - Who doesn't like them?

Fruit - Usually apples and bananas because they are less likely to give off juice and get yucky.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 3:03 pm

Location: my posts are my sole opinion and do not represent the opinions of UAL CORP and their subsidiaries
I always carry jerky, trailmix, granola/energy bars, and instant oatmeal (juat ask the fa for a cup of hot water).

One of my fav inflight meals is black forest ham w/ a little brie on a baguette w/ a side of grapes, but that's only if I went to the store the night before a trip.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:01 am

I like the tuna salad idea, but hadn't thought about the aroma aspect. Chicken salad and egg salad would be less objectionable alternatives.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:01 am

I like the tuna salad idea, but hadn't thought about the aroma aspect. Chicken salad and egg salad would be less objectionable alternatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.