Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat
If it is a long flight, especially night flight, I bring a whole roasted chicken. Accomplishes a couple of things -

Feeds me
fills me
makes the plane smell a heck of a lot better
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Regarding sushi - has anyone asked one of the FAs if they could put it into a refridgerated container while flying? i assume this wouldn't really fly in coach, but perhaps if you were upfront the FAs would be easier to convince.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
I usually make some large oatmeal/raisin/choc chip cookies and take about a dozen for MR from LAX to DUB. In Y, I just take the milk and add some fruit from the AC and I'm fine. This usually routes thru ORD and they have pretty good eats in T3 at ORD to suppliment, although on the last MR I didn't need any suppliments. I've sometimes picked up a brie/apple sandwich at LAX, on a roll, cut into 4 pcs and that holds very well for the whole MR. Tasty too.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Since no one has mentioned my personal favorite, I'll go ahead. Slice a baguette and fill with Brie and prosciutto. Keeps well and very tasty. Some strawberries for dessert. Now if only the dadgummed TSA/airlines would let me bring a nice dry white aboard with me.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I am a big fan of grapes for several reasons. Healthy, gives you something to do (you can just pop them in your mouth, peel off the skin then eat, etc.), good for a snack after a few drinks on board, etc.

Try a bagel with some turkey and/or favorite cold cuts. Provides a filling meal if the bagel is big enough.

Along with others, Trader Joes trail mix is quite delicious. My personal favorite is Raspberries and Chocolate Trek Mix. Delicious!
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
My normal on-board eats are grapes, crackers, the individually wrapped cheeses, and sometimes cashews and a granola bar.

I have brought cold pizza on a plane before (a few times). The smell is mitigated since it isn't heated up and it tastes great
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Originally Posted by suthurn
{Who checks whipped cream?}
Think about it a bit.

Funniest thing I ever saw was a middle aged couple checking into a hotel room whose small suitcase sprung open in the hall.

The only thing in the suitcase was several cans of whipped cream.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by JHattery
Think about it a bit.

Funniest thing I ever saw was a middle aged couple checking into a hotel room whose small suitcase sprung open in the hall.

The only thing in the suitcase was several cans of whipped cream.

kinky lol!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:58 am

I think fruits are the best
Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
Whats a good "carry on" lunch to bring on cross country flight ?

Since half the flights anymore think a prezal is a meal , and getting to the airport an hour or two early is normal,

what do you bring on a flight for lunch ?

If I have time and one is on the way to the airport, I pick up a subway sandwich, but after a few hours it gets rather soggy,

Just wondering if there is something that makes everyone around you wish they had brought it !

And that TSA will let you bring ,

Lets have some of your weirder treats !

Rally
Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I like to bring aboard some stinky meals to stink up the cabin, because nobody will mind
Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Fried chicken and lentil soup, with a bean burrito. I also like a nice piece of fresh durian.

Programs: Welfare
I always take a Subway foot long BMT and once had a guy offer me 10 bucks for half

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I usually have individually wrapped cheeses in my quart baggie, then some carrots, crackers, etc. I also often carry an empty thermos, which I get filled with my favorite coffee bev at Starbucks post strip-search. I use one that seals well so I don't worry about spillage in my carryon.

I like to pick up a sandwich from the airport bakery, but have them wrap bread separately from the fillings... less soggy. I do like to pick up the local stuff whenever I can.

I do try to avoid anything smelly or noisy (and only eat my carrots when there is already noise :~)

Ok, so mine aren't weird. sorry.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Fried chicken and lentil soup, with a bean burrito. I also like a nice piece of fresh durian.
You must clear out the row!

Um, but aren't there laws about durian?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.