Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 2:04 pm

Its a thread I read about someone bringing on their Subway sandwich and a passenger offering to buy it for X amount of dollars - I can not find it.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
The problem with doing a search on this topic is that it contains some very common words like carry on, airport food, etc.

Here's a similar thread. Not sure if it's the one you are talking about.

what's the best foods frequent travelers bring onboard
Old May 3, 2009, 7:31 pm

Not the one I was looking for but a very interesting read, thank you for taking the time.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 2:15 pm

Great Ideas, I am thinking about taking some HoneyBaked Ham Sandwiches.

Gotta love Honeybaked Ham.

Can anyone tell me why Peanut Butter is not allowed?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Stars4SA
Can anyone tell me why Peanut Butter is not allowed?
Not allowed? Not aware of anywhere it isn't allowed except in a few schools and daycares. But why it is not a good idea was explained only a short way uptread:
Originally Posted by Lowender1234
About the PB&J, peanut allergy is an airborne one, and some people are WICKED allergic (like me) and could face complications if in a closed in area (like a plane) around peanut butter.
The complications are for the allergic person. I'm not aware of any law or rule against it, but it is good courtesy not to (just like it's good courtesy to keep perfume/cologne amounts limited for those who have allergies around you.)
Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:19 pm

Thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:08 pm

Satisfying savory foods to bring on board in coach?

I'm interested in hearing from people who
1) fly international lengthy flights in coach
2) bring on board something other than granola bars to eat in coach

Pretend you have the following constraints similar to those onmy last 2 long flights in coach:
- Very tight connection (like when needing to go from 1 end of the Amsterdam Schiphol 'horseshoe' shaped terminal to the other)
- Absolutely zero time to stop and buy anything
- Plane food is inedible (like on the BA flight where the pasta was so overcooked, it tasted like slime. On first bite, it disintegrated / liquified in my mouth. I had to suppress a gag reflex. I ate the tomato sauce around the pasta.)
For the next 15 hours I must eat whatever I brought with me in my backpack that I put in from either my house or the hotel 5 hours earlier (before the connection)

Because both times these were mostly granola bars, I swear I am not eating another granola bar for the next 5 years.

What satisfying savory foods could I bring on board in coach?

On the plane, I was craving
- cold cut turkey or roast beef
- cheese
- olives
- my fave flatbread crackers
- a cold plum, apple, pear, etc.

I did eat an EPIC lamb & mint meat bear. it was BTN (better than nothing). But I would much rather have had the above...

The problem with the above plan is keeping what needs to be cold, cold, till I need it, which could be
- + 6 hours into the flight
- + 3 hours after leaving the hotel
So + 9 hours from being taken out of the fridge. Not safe...

For those of you who are I situation 1) and 2), What do you do ?

Last edited by MareLuce; Feb 8, 2020 at 7:25 am
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I've made ham/cheese and bread sandwiches from the breakfast at Frankfurt area hotels and brought that on before. Was't too concerned with keeping it cold = I just wrapped in napkins and put in my carryon..
MareLuce likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
For a long flight I’ll have a few bars handy. They aren’t necessarily satisfying but they are generally healthy, have no shelf life or refrigeration issues, and pack a lot of protein which can tide me over.

Recently it’s been RxBars but have done Clif, Kind, etc in the past.

If I’m leaving from my home airport (RDU) I’ll usually bring the first meal with me and have that instead of the airplane food (would rather have a homemade fresh sandwich than sodium laden Delta chicken breast and mashed potatoes).

There are a select few other airports where a similar sentiment holds (always bring a sandwich from Lucca’s Deli if flying out of SFO) but when flying from international destinations that’s usually not practical.

Thankfully DL tends to have a chicken breast and salad option which is a good first meal combined with a bar for a 10+ hour flight. Anything shorter I’m usually fine for the duration (maybe a bag of cheese-it’s from the galley).

Other thing I sometimes bring is Justin’s Almond Butter (or equivalent) which can provide a nice boost but isn’t a bar if you aren’t feeling the bar thing
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MareLuce
- cheese
- olives

I did eat an EPIC lamb & mint meat bear. it was BTN (better than nothing). But I would much rather have had the above...

The problem with the above plan is keeping what needs to be cold, cold, till I need it, which could be
I've made or bought sandwiches in advance and frozen them, then brought them frozen in my carry on. One of the best was a turkey sandwich on homemade olive bread. A sandwich won't still be cold after 6-9 hours, but it will still generally be fine to eat and taste good. Many cheeses will also be perfectly fine 9 hours into a flight, though they won't be cold. That's sort of the point of why cheese was developed (and cured meats).
MareLuce likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:18 am

Fave reply from the antique (2006) part of this thread:
Originally Posted by lance6
4. Sandwich, here are the layers from bottom to top:
- Bottom half of ciabatta roll
- Artichoke spread
- Arugala or mixed greens or basil
- Sliced turkey
- Roasted bell pepper
- Prosciutto
- Tomato (either fresh or sun dried or both)
- Cheese (usually provolone or Havarti)
- Top half of bread upon which I've drizzled some olive oil and a touch of balsamic vinegar

I take the whole thing, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then place a carton of milk or juice on top of it to compress it in the fridge. Nice and flat package the next morning when I leave the house for LAX

I eat the sandwich first, usually as the beverage service comes out.
Everything sounds like it would last...
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by MareLuce
I'm interested in hearing from people who
1) fly international lengthy flights in coach
2) bring on board something other than granola bars to eat in coach

I became really hungry during my 11+ hr flight from Frankfurt to Houston in coach after a light hotel breakfast and a terrible first meal from United.

I only had granola bars with me. While they did keep my tummy from growling loudly, I swear I will never eat another granola bar for the rest of my life. (yes, I'm probably exaggerating, but that's my feeling as of right now.)

What satisfying savory foods could I bring on board in coach?

- cheese
- olives

For those of you who are I situation 1) and 2), What do you do ?
Depending on how much of a rush I'm in, I will stop by a nearby Asian supermarket which often has ready-made ( or quick-to-make) sandwiches (often ham sandwiches or egg salad or both.... but sometimes Vietnamese sandwiches)... or if I want a sandwich, in my base airport (YYZ), there is a Subway just before security that I can get a sandwich (if you get a foot-long, you can ask them to wrap it into two packages for convenience)... just make sure you go light on the sauces as they will make the sandwich soggy... Security has never stopped me. And in my case, there are also sandwich shops airside which I could go to (some even reasonably priced, same price as in town).

I am not familiar with Frankfurt, but a quick check of their website, I see there are many options you could go with. Some might not be the cheapest out there (avoid fast food burgers... when they get cold, they're quite nasty), but I do see sandwiches there if that's the way you're leaning...

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...ory=baeckerei-
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:27 am

I have brought with me cooked frozen lasagna , that was cold or frozen when I left home , Marie Callenders brand from the market....

or peanut butter sandwiches.....
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Departing LHR, there's a branch of EAT and a branch of Leon, both of which sell really excellent salads, sandwiches and wraps, with every conceivable food allergy catered for, and most ideal for mid-flight snacking. That plus a banana and a pack of potato chips should satisfy anyone on a 12 hour flight. However, when we start going to ULH flights - 19 hours or so, it will become much more difficult.

Generally, fruit is a good answer as it provides a concentrated shot of fresh.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Departing LHR, there's a branch of EAT and a branch of Leon, both of which sell really excellent salads, sandwiches and wraps, with every conceivable food allergy catered for, and most ideal for mid-flight snacking.
Certainly if I have time to stop to buy something I would prefer to do that.

I should have added ( will add) in my original post my constraints:
Pretend you have this scenario from my last 2 long flights:
- Very tight connection (like when needing to go from 1 end of the Amsterdam Schiphol 'horseshoe' shaped terminal to the other)
- Absolutely zero time to stop and buy anything
- Plane food is unedible (like on the BA flight where the pasta was so overcooked, it tasted like slime. On first bite, it disintegrated / liquified in my mouth. I had to suppress a gag reflex. I ate the tomato sauce around the pasta.)

For the next 15 hours I must eat whatever I brought with me in my backpack that I put in from either my house or the hotel 5 hours earlier (before the connection)

Because both times these were mostly granola bars, I swear I am not eating another granola bar for the next 5 years.

However, when we start going to ULH flights - 19 hours or so, it will become much more difficult.
What / where is ULH ?

Generally, fruit is a good answer as it provides a concentrated shot of fresh.
Agreed! Even though I don't crave fruit nearly as much when not in an airplane, for some reason on a plane, fruit makes me happy.

The thing I miss most on extra long flights is a satisfying sense of a meal with a decent amount of protein.

Last edited by MareLuce; Feb 9, 2020 at 6:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.