Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2004, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
For a chain, I like Sticky Fingers. They are mostly in SC, but gradually expanding into a few other states. I've eaten at their restaurants in CHS and HHH. I was happy to find their sauces at local grocery nearby my home and use it for making ribs.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:06 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by hatchman50
^ "Rudy's", based mainly in Texas and the rest of the West, is without a doubt my favorite. Meats prepared with drry rubs with wet/hot sauces on the table. Food handed to you on a piece of paper and a stack of white bread thrown in. Billed by the owner as "The Worst BBQ in Texas", it's not.

Corky's runs a distant second for me. Just ate at one in Miami. It was OK, compared to the lack of any good BBQ in New Jersey.

^ for Rudy's. When I spent a lot of time working on the north side of Austin Rudy's would be a regular lunch stop alog with the penthouse club.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:10 am

I don't think I've ever had really good chain BBQ. Tony Roma's and Damon's are passable, but perhaps I live in the wrong part of the country.

Then again, many foods don't lend themselves kindly to chain treatment - such as Chinese.

Mike
Old Jul 13, 2004, 11:42 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
This BBQ stuff is so subjective.
Some like dry rub some don't.
Some like sweet some like spicy.

I don't like large chains of any type of food.
Lucilles BBQ is only 6 stores in So Cal but for a chain they are quite decent. I like my BBQ SPICY HOT!! I never even liked BBQ until a couple of years ago when I was in Kansas City.

http://www.lucillesbbq.com/

Last edited by wingless; Jul 13, 2004 at 11:51 am
Old Jul 13, 2004, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
On occasion, the ribs from Outback have been good, but quality has varied from very good to pretty bad, even from the same location.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Oh man, after reading this now i need to go get some ribs for dinner tonight!
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:27 pm

For a chain, my vote goes to Famous Daves. The Brisket is delicious!

http://www.famousdaves.com/
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's a local chain here in NJ, but it is ***REALLY GOOD*** -- Big Ed's BBQ. All you can eat ribs, all the time!
Old Jul 20, 2004, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Well, I now have my reference points for BBQ as practiced in the USA, having spent the past weekend in Kansas City. Suffice to say, I both agree and disagree with various of the posts, but thank everyone for their contributions. As we all know, taste is a very personal thing, but in many ways it is wonderful that we don't all agree all the time.

In my case, I did not find the perfect BBQ experience in a single spot, though I did find some good reference points. I stuck to ribs, which is my pet indulgence. So here goes -- all by the way, washed down with Boulevard Pale or Belgian Flat Tire ales -- my impressions.

GATES had the best sauce, albeit a long way from the best I've had in my limited experience. Their hotter version beats the regular. Unfortunately, I found their rub too intense and while acceptable, a bit overpowering.

ARTHUR BRYANT'S is just about everything it is advertised to be. Here I prefered the rub and the meat, and found both version of their sauce to be lacking any kick.

The all round loser -- save for my dining companion -- was JACK'S STACK SMOKEHOUSE. Characterless sause, moderately good rub on the mixed platter of pork, beef and lamb ribs.

I particularly want to thank mwp2paris for his notes over on the SPG forum to my querry.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:41 am

Chicago BBQ

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

All this talk of BBQ and no mention of Chicago.

Hecky's BBQ - in Evanston but the best rib tips in the world. Try the Links.

Lems BBQ - 311 E 75th, Chicago or on 59th street.

there are other good BBQ places in chicago but not this good.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 12:56 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I concur

Famous Dave's is the best....those rib tips...yum.....I'm miss the one in Uptown Minneapolis.....hum...wonder if there's one in the DC area.....thanks for the website....
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:05 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Hecky's

So being a Northwestern alum...I very much miss Hecky's and their rib tips....by far the best BBQ....

Hecky's trivia:

Northwestern named one of its email servers after Hecky's "@hecky.acns.nwu.edu"

Mayor of Evanston bet the Mayor of Pasadena (or LA) a meal shipped from the best restaurant for the winning mayor's staff when NU played USC in the Rose Bowl in 1996. Unfortunately, lots of people ate Heckys shortly after the game.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Luther's BBQ is pretty darn good Q for a large chain (in Texas and Louisiana), IMHO.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:07 pm

Rudy's! Rudy's! Rudy's!

I love their extra lean brisket! and their Sause is Boss
Old Jul 28, 2004, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

i like rudy's sauce too

one of my college roomies made off with the Rudy's sauce recipe during a summer job there; suffice it to say, his bbqs were pretty solid thereafter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.