FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2004, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
shareholder,

You could start fights with this type of question.

Personally, I prefer 'southern' style BBQ with a sweet, sticky sauce applied after ribs have been slow cooked for a long time. To me, the best example of this style is Tom's on North Federal Hwy in Boca Raton, FL.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 7:16 am

Sonnys or Greenbrier

I am a fan of Sonnys which is a chain mostly in Florida, unbelievable sweet sauce. Greenbrier is just outside Huntsville, Alabama, very good southern BBQ.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by BillMorrow
Personally, I prefer 'southern' style BBQ with a sweet, sticky sauce applied after ribs have been slow cooked for a long time. To me, the best example of this style is Tom's on North Federal Hwy in Boca Raton, FL.
Bill, if that is the case, hie thee to Tom's on May 15: The Great Delta Board PBI-FLL Meet will be held there. (Open to all F/Ters, not just DL flyers.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...21&postcount=1
Old Apr 11, 2004, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Memphis: Charlie Vergos Rendezvous. Outstanding dry ribs. Great beans/rice for vegetarians too
What do you call a vegetarian in a BBQ restaurant?

Lost.

^ ^ on Rendezvous. I was in Memphis for a conference and we had an all-you-can-stuff-in-your-face dinner there. mmmmm

I like the chain Red, Hot and Blue in Illinois and Texas and ??

In Denver, KT's BBQ in Boulder and Broomfield
Old Apr 11, 2004, 4:58 am

[QUOTE=greggwiggins]This is a deep subject; to begin with, what style of BBQ? There's Texas, Kansas City, North Carolina, South Carolina....QUOTE]

On the opposite side of the question - the worst I ever had was in Raleigh, North Carolina - a mixture of ketchup and vinegar - horrible!!
Old Apr 11, 2004, 11:51 am

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Personally I like Fatt Matts ribshack in Atlanta
Nothin Fancy just good Barbecue ( i recommend the ribs) served on Paper plates with good live Blues
Old Apr 12, 2004, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
"Bill, if that is the case, hie thee to Tom's on May 15: The Great Delta Board PBI-FLL Meet will be held there. (Open to all F/Ters, not just DL flyers.)"

Be still my throbbing gullet. I'd like to place my order now. I'll have a 1/2 pound rib dinner with double fries with extra sauce and don't forget the corn bread for sopping up the leftover sauce. I've been eating Tom's Q every since he left the Boca Hotel and opened in the concrete block shack on Glades Rd. It's great eating and authentic Southern food. The collard greens are top shelf and they usually have gizzards available at lunch on Fridays. Be nice to the lady at the register. She's Tom's wife and keeps things humming. Tom is a truly nice guy.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 2:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Good call that you really have to break this down into regions of KC, Carolina, Texas, etc ...

But since I'm in Texas at the moment, I'll consider that ... Goode Company Barbecue in Houston, hands down. You're not going to find a better brisket. And the only place you'll find better ribs are, well, in my back yard.

Of course, I can't say that County Line and the Salt Lick in Austin are bad, though ...

As we're quickly finding out, when it comes to barbecue, you just can't go wrong with it when it's really, really good. I'm starting to get hungry.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 2:59 pm

Capital Q in downtown DC

I used to like the BBQ joint in Stark FL 'till I learned that Stark is where Florida has O' Sparky (the electric chair). Never felt the same about BBQ in Stark!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Global Services
Crook's Corner-Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
BillMorrow, you have just been immortalized on the Delta Board:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=388
Old Apr 14, 2004, 5:59 am

Super Smokers in St. Louis Missouri

Great BBQ and great sauce
http://www.supersmokers.com/
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Starwood, Hilton
I *really* like Jack Stack's in Kansas City. The ribs are amazing!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 6:07 pm
mjm
Original Member

Flints on Shattuck just inside Oakland from Berkeley border.

A two way with links and sliced beef with medium or hot sauce and you will have a new satndard in BBQ in your life.

Also, FYI, a huge thread on BBQ in Dining a few months back. Too lazy to search right now. Anyone...?

Mike
Old Apr 26, 2004, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by mjm
Flints on Shattuck just inside Oakland from Berkeley border.

A two way with links and sliced beef with medium or hot sauce and you will have a new satndard in BBQ in your life.

Also, FYI, a huge thread on BBQ in Dining a few months back. Too lazy to search right now. Anyone...?

Mike
I'm with you on flints. i never liked links in the US, but those are unbelievable.
Went by there are few months back and they were closed. hope its not permanent. love the menu "extra bread: 5 cents".

Best in SoCal: Dr Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texan Barbecue. up in the valley somewhere on sepulveda. incredible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.