Search
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2004, 3:53 am

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
I think Bonedaddy's is a chain, so I'll add that to the list... I've eaten there several times when I was on travel to Richardson/Dallas, TX. Of course, I only remember the outfits that that obscenely young waitresses were wearing, so I can't speak for the food.

Also a small chain in Denver--Brother's BBQ--has made the Denver Best Restaurant list many times. They have a delicious brisket.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:50 am

Programs: United, USAir, Hyatt,
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Famous Dave's is the best....those rib tips...yum.....I'm miss the one in Uptown Minneapolis.....hum...wonder if there's one in the DC area.....thanks for the website....
Hey thanks.

I hadn't heard of this place before. I see one is opening in Philly soon close to where I live. But its going to be in the same shopping centre as Chik Fil A.

Old Jul 29, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: Ozark - Tin; Eastern - Lead; Local Hoosegow - Copper;
Corky's in Memphis - Best Pork BBQ

Corky's in Memphis for wet. For the best dry: Rendezvous across from the Peabody Hotel in Memphis.

If you want to read about whole hog pork BBQ check out
www.southernfoodways.com/

Obviously, these aren't chain places! ^
Old Jul 29, 2004, 10:15 am

Programs: Ozark - Tin; Eastern - Lead; Local Hoosegow - Copper;
How about Smokey Bones in your area?

Ours is pretty average, just another sports bar.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, Marriot
Corky's in the South

In the MIA area, hands down: SHORTY's!!! ^ ^ ^
Old May 27, 2005, 8:16 am

Dinosaur's Started in Syracuse

Originally Posted by SDLFlyer
Dinosaur is absolutely the best!!!

The one in ROC is better than SYR. Get a seat by the window and enjoy the view of the river.

The pulled port BBQ is some of the best I ever had.

The SYR location is not quite as good as ROC. SYR is more for the serious biker crowd.

On weekends the ROC location has live music and has over 40 beers on tap.

Dinosaur had its beginning in Syracuse. The clientele there is not limited to bikers, as the poster seems to imply. While there are certainly a good number of bikers who patronize the Dinosaur, the place draws heavily from employees at the Hanley Federal Building, a couple of blocks away. Also, Niagara Mohawk employees, with their headquarters a block away, are regulars there.

You can talk about the Rochester location being superior to the one in Syracuse, but you cannot deny the fact that when the powers that be in Rochester wanted to liven up their downtown as has been happening in Syracuse, one of the first establishments they encouraged to open there was Dinosaur. In short, they saw the success Dinosaur was enjoying in Syracuse and wanted some of it in their town. The folks at Dinosaur, thanks to their success in Syracuse, were able to afford more attractive surroundings than the humble quarters in which they launched their business....in Syracuse.
Old May 27, 2005, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Well, if we're going to revive this thread, let me call attention to the just-completed week-long series on searching for the nation's best barbecue in Slate.com's "Well-Traveled" section. It's at:

http://www.slate.com/id/2118542/entry/2118537/
Old May 27, 2005, 3:00 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I just finished an extended stint in Houston, and on recommendation of FT'ers Premex and TXHolly, I went to Baker's BBQ (a.k.a. "The Pig Place").

Each of the last three weeks I've been there, and feel its in my top three list nationwide. The pork ribs and meats are great, as our the sides. The added bonus is very low prices. Pork ribs with two other meats, and two sides, is $9.95.

Easy to find, its ten minutes from the Galleria, on Voss just south of San Felipe.
Old May 29, 2005, 3:05 pm

Programs: WN/HPUS/B6/DL
Moonlite Inn, Owensboro, KY

The best and most unique of the regional types of BBQ is Western Kentucky. They feature mutton, chopped in a unique sauce. There is also a unique stew/soup called burgoo. It's a little like Brunswick stew, but quite different. We often mail order a lot of the mutton and burgoo from them around holiday time.

Also, am I the only one who has scheduled a layover at MEM just to eat a Neely's Interstate BBQ?

Now I'm hungry .
Old May 29, 2005, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA MP, Marriot R
PJ's Bar-B-Q in Saratoga Springs, NY. Incredible bar-b-q food and just down the road in the drive-in's which are great in the summer time and they even have their own brand of soda that they sell: Sarasoda Loganberry

mmmmm, now all we need is the warm weather to get to us up here and we'll be all set
Old May 29, 2005, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
I've seen the names of a bunch of very good places that I've been to. But I haven't seen the best place I've come across: Cooper's Pit BBQ in Llano, Texas. It's about an 2 hours west of Austin.

If you're in Austin and in the mood for a great day trip, start your morning with breakfast at the Bluebonnet in Marble Falls, mess around on the lake for a couple of hours or go for a nice walk at Enchanted Rock, then head to Llano for lunch or dinner.
Old May 29, 2005, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat
KCs BBQ in Berkley, CA.
Old May 30, 2005, 8:01 pm

Programs: NW World Perks (Silver) 250K, Delta SkyMiles 50K, USAir Dividend Miles 40K
What a great thread! This should be it's own forum....

For me the best is DINOSAUR BBQ, in Rochester and Syracuse, NY. Shoot, they catered our wedding! Must visit if you are in those areas. Other noteable BBQ on my treks across the USA:

MEM Airport (is that Corky's? That was fantastic. Interesting to note all the other fast food empty, while me and many others waited in line 45 minutes for that little BBQ place in the terminal). The airport smells of BBQ as soon as you get off the plane!

Bob's BBQ: in the Ramada Inn, Norman, OK.
Center Street BBQ: Batavia, NY
Kentucky Greg's BBQ: Buffalo, NY (Depew)
A friend of mine has mentioned a great place in Paris, Ontario but I do not recall the name.
McCall's BBQ: Goldsboro, NC.
Great BBQ place in the Fort Worth Stockyards, shoot I forget the name!
Sonny's BBQ Chain, in the SE (Gainesville FL is where I ate there)
"Red-Hot and Blue" is a chain, sometimes I have had a great meal (Raleigh, NC), other times I have been dissapointed (Laurel, MD)
Pardner's BBQ: Kingsport, TN
Old May 30, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: Various
I don't have nearly the wisdom of BBQ-dom since I haven't done much extensive travel in the South. I can give my recs for these places here in the Western US:

KT's BBQ (various locations in Boulder/Denver area)
http://www.ktsbbq.com/

JR'S Texas BBQ (south of Sacramento, CA)
http://www.jrtexasbbq.com/

Barbecue Pit The 2888 University Ave San Diego, CA 92104

Buckboard Catering/Restaurant (Santa Maria Style BBQ)
http://www.buckboardcatering.com/

Johnny Reb's - Fairly decent for a small chain in Los Angeles
http://johnnyrebs.com/
Old May 31, 2005, 9:31 am

Programs: WN/HPUS/B6/DL
Originally Posted by wgrc1971
..MEM Airport (is that Corky's? That was fantastic. Interesting to note all the other fast food empty, while me and many others waited in line 45 minutes for that little BBQ place in the terminal). The airport smells of BBQ as soon as you get off the plane!..
There are two BBQ joints in MEM, justifying such a small city's hub status, IMO. Corky's is OK, but they're a chain and sort of generic. The "other" BBQ restaurant at MEM, Interstate BBQ, is much better and more authentic to Western TN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.