FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by lvfs
There are two BBQ joints in MEM, justifying such a small city's hub status, IMO. Corky's is OK, but they're a chain and sort of generic. The "other" BBQ restaurant at MEM, Interstate BBQ, is much better and more authentic to Western TN.

If he's talking about the "little place" where you can see all the other fast food joints, that's Interstate, in the food court at the junction of the Y in B.

Corky's is on down in B, by itself in the 30s,, and is actually a sit-down restaurant (although it does have a take-out window).

I like both, but Interstate gives consistently better product.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:14 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Famous Dave's Brisket is very good

Arthur Bryant's in KC has lots of good meat

Gates sauce from KC is good on just about anything

Smokehouse in Gladstone, MO is great

Snook's Bar-b-que in Advance, NC; little shack with good food
Old May 31, 2005, 12:28 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Sell your soul for BBQ at the Crossroads of the Blues

Well I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Abe's in Clarksdale MS. I don't know if it's worth selling your soul for, but maybe I'd agree to a short sublet.
The Delta Blues Museum, Abe's, and the Shack Up Inn - who could ask for more?
Old May 31, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: NW World Perks (Silver) 250K, Delta SkyMiles 50K, USAir Dividend Miles 40K
I think this was the plate I ate at. It was near a "regular" food Court (McD's, etc I think) which was empty! And I am pretty sure now that it was NOT Corky's.

Fantastic! I also had Corkys catered at the Memphis Zoo once which was also good. Kentucky Greg's BBQ here in Buffalo sells Corky's sauces so they must be marketing that.

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
If he's talking about the "little place" where you can see all the other fast food joints, that's Interstate, in the food court at the junction of the Y in B.

Corky's is on down in B, by itself in the 30s,, and is actually a sit-down restaurant (although it does have a take-out window).

Old May 31, 2005, 1:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Craig6z
I just finished an extended stint in Houston, and on recommendation of FT'ers Premex and TXHolly, I went to Baker's BBQ (a.k.a. "The Pig Place").

Each of the last three weeks I've been there, and feel its in my top three list nationwide. The pork ribs and meats are great, as our the sides. The added bonus is very low prices. Pork ribs with two other meats, and two sides, is $9.95.

Easy to find, its ten minutes from the Galleria, on Voss just south of San Felipe.
If you're ever back in town, hit up Goode Company Barbecue, the original location on Kirby Dr. on the south side of town. The same plate with three meats will run you $9.25, and you'll never, ever find a more consistent, outstanding brisket. The way they crank out moist, perfect brisket at Goode Co. is simply a marvel of great barbecue. That said, however, everything else there rules, too -- the sides, the chicken, ham, turkey, duck, ribs, pork sausage, and, possibly my favorite of everything, the Czech sausage. You won't be disappointed.
Old May 31, 2005, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
I've travelled extensively in the south. The best places are out of the way, local establishments with a word of mouth following. I like ALL kinds of BBQ, so semantics over type be damned.

The following top my list;

Ridgwood Barbque - Elizabethton, TN
Moonlight Inn - Owensboro, KY
Mark's Feed Store - Louiville, KY
Rendezvous - Memphis, TN
Sonny's - Macon, GA
Old May 31, 2005, 2:52 pm

Programs: NW World Perks (Silver) 250K, Delta SkyMiles 50K, USAir Dividend Miles 40K
Mmmm have to remember that. Your location made me think of another BBQ joint I ate at and enjoyed: Luther's BBQ in Houston. Their smoked ham BBQ sandwich is something that is hard to come by at many places, and was great.

I think that sauce helped get me out of trouble also. I was traveling in South Texas, near Brownsville, where I got stopped at one of those immigration checkpoints they have about 50 miles inland. They were very suspicious for some reason and searched the whole car. When he got to my luggage and saw the bottles of Luther's BBQ he smiled and things went better after that!
I found out about Luther's from a tip from an ex-boss who lived in Houston for a time.

There was another awesome place in Bessemmer, AL , I wish I wrote some of these down!! ....

In Warner Robins, GA found two decent places:
Pomo's, on Rte 247. Another was in a gas station on the west end of town, I don't know if it has a name. Both were fantastic, and had BBQ with that "mustardy" taste to it, I did not know to associate that flavor with Georgia. I liked it!

My heart is still with the Dinosaur BBQ in Rochester & Syracuse! Try Center Street Smokehouse in Batavia, NY if you are up this way, also.

Originally Posted by gutt22
If you're ever back in town, hit up Goode Company Barbecue, the original location on Kirby Dr. on the south side of town. The same plate with three meats will run you $9.25, and you'll never, ever find a more consistent, outstanding brisket. The way they crank out moist, perfect brisket at Goode Co. is simply a marvel of great barbecue. That said, however, everything else there rules, too -- the sides, the chicken, ham, turkey, duck, ribs, pork sausage, and, possibly my favorite of everything, the Czech sausage. You won't be disappointed.
Old May 31, 2005, 2:57 pm

Programs: WN/HPUS/B6/DL
Originally Posted by Delta Hog

I was last at MEM in July 03, but remember eating at Interstate, I think by B14, looking at the terminal maps. Interstate is adjacent to a tavern, I think with a Jack Daniels label on it. There is seating, but it's limited. It looks like MEM has been remodeled and there are three Interstate BBQs in the terminal area now.

This is one thing I like about MEM is that it has more than the standard nasty Pizza Hut expresses, Burger King/McDonalds and other restaurants found at most other airports and food courts in the US. MCI needs to add a BBQ restaurant .
Old May 31, 2005, 7:55 pm

In case anyone is interested, here is that place north of the border that is supposed to be awesome:

Camp 31 BBQ serves up the best American-Canadian BBQ found in North America. Check us out we are on the corner of #2 & #5 Highway, Paris Ontario.

(519) 442-3560
Old May 31, 2005, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by ridgeback
I've seen the names of a bunch of very good places that I've been to. But I haven't seen the best place I've come across: Cooper's Pit BBQ in Llano, Texas. It's about an 2 hours west of Austin.

If you're in Austin and in the mood for a great day trip, start your morning with breakfast at the Bluebonnet in Marble Falls, mess around on the lake for a couple of hours or go for a nice walk at Enchanted Rock, then head to Llano for lunch or dinner.
cooper's pork chop is great. (you can fly a small plane into llano and borrower a car at the airport to get there). That is a beautiful part of the State.

There is a place in Stephenville, Tx called the Hard 8. You can fly (small plane, no FFM) into the local airport and take the golf cart over to the resturaunt. It is greatness. They burn the wood about 40 feet away and pipe the heat to the smoker. good stuff.

in KC, I love Oklahoma Joes and Smokestack. I also like Arthur Bryants, probably because he's a Texan!!! ^

Never been to Memphis and when I am outside of Texas, I usually don't eat Mexican (Tex Mex) or BBQ, unless I am in KC or the deep south.

In east Texas, a place called Bodacious BBQ is pretty good (they have 2 or 3 locations).

Someone mentioned a place in Hot Springs, that place is good.

Last edited by envgeo; May 31, 2005 at 8:11 pm
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:00 pm

I am combining two of my threads a little but .....

Any good BBQ reccomendations for the Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Eugene, Crater Lake, Boise, Glacier NP, Calgary, and points in betwee

I don't think of those areas as BBQ havens but as we know a good BBQ joint can turn up anywhere. In case we have a BBQ hankering on our vacation up there ....

Thanks!!
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:12 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
In El Paso

State Line

Smokey's and Smitty's are also very good
Old Jun 4, 2005, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
I used to like also like (now closed) City Limits BBQ.

Hard to beat those State Line BabyBack Ribs....emmmmmm.

Originally Posted by jfe
In El Paso

State Line

Smokey's and Smitty's are also very good
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:53 am

OK, just tried a great new BBQ joint here in Western New York. One Eyed Jack's in Lockport, NY.

http://oneeyedjacksbbq.com

Southerners don't be skeptical, we have had a rash of good BBQ opening up here the past few years. 10 years ago I wouldn't feel comfortable trying it unless I flew/drove south about 400 miles!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile

For pulled pork in Montgomery Ala, go to Sams. Its a dive looking place, but the pulled pork is some of the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.