Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by DennyO
I found this five-part article worth reading. It will definitely affect my itinerary next time I go to Texas!

http://slate.msn.com/id/2118542/entry/2118537/

Interesting article. I think the other one of the two places in Lockhart that was in top 5 according to Texas Monthly is Black's Barbeque. Thats the one I have been raving about here http://www.blacksbbq.com/ But no one listens to me
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:19 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Sconyers in Augusta, GA is very good as well. Ole Jimmy Carter use to have them cater to the White House (one of the few smart things he did as prez.).
Old Jul 6, 2005, 2:35 pm

I liked the Flint's BBQ in Oakland, CA. I used to go there about 10 years ago and it was right across the street from Nik-Nak Liquors, so you could get your BBQ and pick up a 40 at the same time. Only problem was that the area wasn't that good, so you'd need to go somewhere else to have your BBQ and King Cobra.

Flint's, unfortunately closed down. Rumor has it that they had a roach problem, but I never saw one. I figured the two dobermans they had chained up in the back took care of any roaches that might have been there.

Everett & Jones in Berkeley is OK. Closest one to me now is the Texas Smokestack BBQ in San Jose, CA.

But nothing beats Flint's.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:48 pm

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Tmstewar2
SALT LICK.....

by far
Yep. If you're talking Austin it is the Salt Lick.

Now, I have to admit that I am found of Carolina Style BBQ pork, having grown up in Richmond, VA. There is a restaurant there called Bill's BBQ that has one the the finest pulled pork sandwiches I have ever had.

Here's an interesting one: MY girlfriend is vegan which can cause some dining nighmaares. There is a place in Autsin called Mother's that actually serves barbequed tofu.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
As an additional tip o' the cap to the Salt Lick - they even do large scale (300+ people) CATERED meals well - one of the best I've tasted, both on site and off
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
Pierce's in Williamsburg, Virginia. Sorry if this has already been mentioned. It's not Carolina style, which I also love. It's just .......Pierce's. Spicy, tomato and not like any other barbeque I've had. Really good!!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA,DL,AA and Marriott Silver
Talking Best BBQ in the USA

The best in Kansas City. Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ. ^

http://jackstackbbq.com/

Every time I am in town I will eat there.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by VA747
Pierce's in Williamsburg, Virginia. Sorry if this has already been mentioned. It's not Carolina style, which I also love. It's just .......Pierce's. Spicy, tomato and not like any other barbeque I've had. Really good!!
Growing up in Richmond, my dad would make a special stop at Pierce's whenever we went to Va. Beach in the summer. I still remember it fondly. Yum.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:42 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tdo-ca
As an additional tip o' the cap to the Salt Lick - they even do large scale (300+ people) CATERED meals well - one of the best I've tasted, both on site and off
Goode Co. in Houston also does large-scale catering. You've never really lived until you've seen those guys take care of service for 500 ... it's an absolutely amazing thing. Every single brisket done to perfection.

I'll also give props to the County Line here in Texas for how they do beef ribs. That's a tremendous preparation.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:16 am

Best BBQ in US - Big City BBQ in Phoenix

When in Phoenix, visit Big City BBQ in either Mesa or Tempe. Big City was started by an executive chef who used to work in the resort industry. Rather than just doing a single type of barbecue (Kansas or Memphis or Texas), he created the menu sampling the best barbecue techniques used in Big Cities around the US.

The website is www.BigCityBBQ.com
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Lockhart, Texas - BBQ capital of the world

OK, it's officially the BBQ Capital of Texas, according to the Texas Legislature. This small town (population 9000) has several truly wonderful BBQ spots. I grew up near Lockhart and regularly stopped at Kreuz' Market as a small child and adolescent with my parents and as a college student, on my way home for the weekend. When old Smitty died, the family had a dispute and split up, with one side taking the name Kreuz to a new site on the edge of town. The original site is now called Smitty's. Lockhart residents go to one or the other - you have to choose. Black's is a distant 3rd, IMO, as is Central Market down the road in Luling.

We lived in North Carolina for 8 years. Anything served with an ice cream scoop is NOT BBQ! And what is with the glob of cold slaw on the meat. Yuk!

Last edited by SeAAttle; Jul 21, 2005 at 12:23 am
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:42 pm

Programs: IHG Amb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Avis P'sC, AAA-Plus
Originally Posted by SeAAttle
OK, it's officially the BBQ Capital of Texas, according to the Texas Legislature. This small town (population 9000) has several truly wonderful BBQ spots. I grew up near Lockhart and regularly stopped at Kreuz' Market as a small child and adolescent with my parents and as a college student, on my way home for the weekend. When old Smitty died, the family had a dispute and split up, with one side taking the name Kreuz to a new site on the edge of town. The original site is now called Smitty's. Lockhart residents go to one or the other - you have to choose. Black's is a distant 3rd, IMO, as is Central Market down the road in Luling.

We lived in North Carolina for 8 years. Anything served with an ice cream scoop is NOT BBQ! And what is with the glob of cold slaw on the meat. Yuk!
Couldn't agree more... meat on brown paper no utensils.... salt lick in driftwood has pretty darn good pork ribs
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by SeAAttle

Must do mileage run to Austin. I was going to a couple of weeks ago, to go to Blacks but ended getting a better fare and schedule somewhere else. Must really do Austin and try Smittys. When we lived there we always went to Blacks. A lot of people in Austin told me they werent much different. MUST GO TO ALL THREE DURING MILEAGE RUN. MUST GET CRESTOR SCRIPT!!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:03 pm

Programs: NWA/DL
If in the San Antonio, here are a couple of ideas. Believe it or not, there is a place called Rudy's which is usually located attached to a gas station that has some of the best brisket and pulled pork! There are several in Texas. I used to frequent the one off of I-35 in Schertz. Also if in the Cibolo area, small town north of Randolph AFB, there's a great family run place called Harmon's BBQ. I am now in SC and really miss good ol Texas BBQ Brisket!
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
..... MUST GET CRESTOR SCRIPT!!
Indeed.

Kreuz's has a sign on one door to their dining room: "Vegetarians enter here; normal people go straight ahead".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.