Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by offerendum
Often I don´t see a reason to pay for a "normal" 1 star Restaurant in NYC prices which (nearly or already) brings me a 2 or 3 star. Something different with "special" 1 stars like "Gastropubs" (Spotted Pig), Korean (Danji) or Peruvian (La Costanera) cuisine (all which comes to my mind in the U.S. lost their stars...). May be unfair some time but it´s life.
Yeah, if I'm going to lunch at a Michelin star restaurant in NYC, it will probably be Jean-Georges. Can't beat it.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
To me it reads like an overly snarky diatribe some wannabe critic would leave on TA. Hard to believe that would appear in a respectable publication.

Here is a real review of the same restaurant that touches on the important things like the sourcing of the ingredients, the inventiveness of the chef, the flavor combinations, the technique, the plating, etc.

https://www.andyhayler.com/restaurant/cinq
1) Jay Rayner is hardly a "wannabe"

2) Did you read it? Did you see the photos? That is an absolute failure, at any level, much less "Trois Rosettes".
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by aa213bb
1) Jay Rayner is hardly a "wannabe"

2) Did you read it? Did you see the photos? That is an absolute failure, at any level, much less "Trois Rosettes".
I didn´t thought it looked that bad and found the review strange. As I could see at the internet he normally don´t write critics about high-end restaurants.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:42 am

I didn´t thought it looked that bad and found the review strange. As I could see at the internet he normally don´t write critics about high-end restaurants.
This is the bit I found objectionable:

"The dining room, deep in the hotel, is a broad space of high ceilings and coving, with thick carpets to muffle the screams. It is decorated in various shades of taupe, biscuit and ... ."

I don't believe that has any place being in a supposedly professional review, but YMMV. His experience could very well have been awful (we've all had them), but the overuse of snark doesn't help his case.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 12, 2017 at 9:10 am Reason: per policy
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

"The dining room, deep in the hotel, is a broad space of high ceilings and coving, with thick carpets to muffle the screams. It is decorated in various shades of taupe, biscuit and ... ."

I don't believe that has any place being in a supposedly professional review, but YMMV. His experience could very well have been awful (we've all had them), but the overuse of snark doesn't help his case.
You nailed it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 12, 2017 at 9:10 am Reason: quote
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:59 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs

Like a lot of restaurant critics in print, that's just Rayner's schtick - maybe it's just a British thing. I've actually read some of his reviews after the fact for restaurants I have dined in, and his comments about food and service have been reasonable and mostly coincident with mine.

At least professional reviewers (i.e. those that get paid and are published) don't go around saying everything is "the best ever" or "the worst ever" as we often see in TA.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 12, 2017 at 9:11 am Reason: quote
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

General question: Will be in some starred Restaurants in Provence/ Nizza soon. What´s the reasonable amount of tip I should give?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:00 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
General question: Will be in some starred Restaurants in Provence/ Nizza soon. What´s the reasonable amount of tip I should give?
That might be very easy since it's probable the gratuity will be included on the bill, at least at the three stars.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by uggboy
Interesting review published by the Guardian in the UK:

Le Cinq, Paris: restaurant review

Please see:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...iew-jay-rayner

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Some reactions from the French press:
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That might be very easy since it's probable the gratuity will be included on the bill, at least at the three stars.
Only saw service is included. Same in Germany but you still give gratuity. In 2 and 3 stars normally 20 to 30 €
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Bord'Ear (2 stars in Amsterdam) was delicious. 6 courses for EUR 128 is quite reasonable, and all of the food was extremely good. Service flagged a bit as we got towards dessert, though, and 3+ hours for only 6 courses (or 8, if you want to add the couple extra bites in) really is a bit on the lengthy side. That said, you can lose track of time easily if you have a table windowside and just watch the boats go by on the canal...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Only saw service is included. Same in Germany but you still give gratuity. In 2 and 3 stars normally 20 to 30 €
Gratuity = service = tip

Not sure what you are saying?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Can't believe I am just finding this thread! Normally I head straight to the Miles & Points section on FT.

Had a rather disappointing meal at Les Amis in Singapore a few weeks ago (2*). I had the seafood tasting menu. A few of the dishes were meh (scallop, sea bass); the caviar and creme fraiche amuse just tasted like cream cheese. There were a few dishes with inedible garnishes, and there were several breads on the bread cart that I was told were for decoration only! That being said, there were a few standouts: the fresh spring tomato amuse bouche was divine, as was the lobster salad. I also should say that the sommelier was an absolute GEM. He could tell I was into wines and knew a thing or two and let me try some extra wines and gave me additional pours of a few of the wines. I also have to say that this restaurant is great at accommodating solo diners. There were a few of us solo diners that night and they provided each of us with a book at the table; very classily done!

I also ate at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Tokyo (2*) earlier this week. Service was very disappointing, though I think a lot of this was due to the language barrier (I don't speak Japanese), as I saw others around me getting better service when speaking Japanese with the staff. An example: a bread basket was plopped down in front of me with no explanation of what was in it, and no butter was offered at any point.. a little later on when I was given some more bread of a different variety, once again with no explanation or asking if I preferred a particular variety. I also didn't appreciate that the only Champagne available by the glass was a rather uninspired choice of Veuve Clicquot NV. Would've expected some more intriguing options. All of that being said, the food was remarkably delicious and well-presented, well worthy of 2 stars. Each dish was fantastic, in particular the foie gras/truffle dish and the swordfish. Wow!

I also had the chicken rice dish at 1* HK Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle in Singapore. I also don't get why this has a star. Very good plate of food for less than $2 though.

Contemplating a lunch at 2* Marcus in London this week since I got an OpenTable offer for a 3-course lunch with glass of bubbly included, for 55 pounds. What do you think? I see that most of the top restaurants in London are similarly priced. How does Marcus compare to Dinner by Heston or Helene Darroze at the Connaught for lunch? I'd rather save The Ledbury or Gordon Ramsay for a dinner.

Oh, one more note that may be helpful for others, I had dinner at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester (3*) last month and the wine pairings stood out to me more than the food. The wines were great -- with appearances by Bollinger La Grande Annee 2004, Chateau Cos d'Estournel 1985, Chateau d'Yquem 1998! Service was impeccable and food was tasty and a great value for a 3* but overall flavors and sauces were a bit repetitive and not as memorable as other 3* places I've been to in the last year and a half (Epicure, EMP, La Pergola, French Laundry).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I also had the chicken rice dish at 1* HK Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle in Singapore. I also don't get why this has a star. Very good plate of food for less than $2 though.
I gather that the Michelin inspectors deemed it to be "A very good restaurant in its category."
About Michelin - To the Stars and Beyond

Stars and Covers

The Michelin Guide conveys its restaurant reviews through short two to three-line summaries and an extensive system of symbols, the most revered of which are its globally renowned stars. Restaurants may receive zero to 3 stars for the quality of their food based on five criteria: quality of the ingredients used, mastery of flavour and cooking techniques, the personality of the chef in his cuisine, value for money and consistency between visits.

Restaurant inspectors do not look at interior decor, table setting, or service quality in awarding stars - these are instead indicated by the number of 'covers' it receives, represented by the fork and spoon symbol.

<snip>
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
The Greenhouse, Dublin, Ireland [REVIEW]

April 2017, our lunch experiences

For my fiancé’s birthday in April 2017 we booked The Greenhouse in Dublin, Ireland - the chef Mickael Viljanen holds a Michelin star - for the third time in two years. Originally we had planned to go back in November last year. Unfortunately we couldn't make it due to one of us being seriously ill. The team at the time was concerned and understanding.

When we arrived we recognised the members of staff and vice versa. They were glad my fiancé had recovered.

As on our previous visits we started with a large glass bottle of still Tipperary water and van Nahmen juices. The rhubarb nectar is my favorite, so I had two of those, while my fiancé had one white peach and one quince nectar.

Until now we always had the three course lunch menu, but had decided beforehand to try the 5 course surprise menu instead on this occasion.

We had very good experiences with surprise menus at FG Restaurant (2 Michelin stars) in Rotterdam and Wiesen Restaurant (Juri Wiesen holds 1 Michelin star) in Eindhoven, so it was time to challenge the chefs of the Greenhouse and ourselves.

I brought a print out of our dislikes and allergies, which have all benn accommodated with a smile.

The amuse bouche were suckling pig balls, seaweed crackers with mayonnaise - mine included a mussel - and a Parmesan and potato disc. Our favorite was the suckling pig. It was spicy and moreish. My better half wished he could have a main dish with it included so moreish the dish was.

The seaweed crackers were a palate cleanser and the Parmesan and potato disc an indulgence.

In house baked sourdough bread with salted Glenillen butter was served as well and it was extremely delicious as expected.

The first course delighted my fiancé, who had the Foie Gras Royale before. This time it was a slightly different version suitable for spring with apple, walnut and frozen Foie Gras.

I enjoyed it too, it was delicious and refreshing at the same time. A modern signature dish of The Greenhouse.

It was followed by a decadent fish dish with mackerel, eel, crab meat, trout caviar and Wye Valley asparagus. His came without the crab meat due to his allergy to shellfish.

Another highlight was the freshly caught wild turbot, which was gently baked, and served with mushrooms for me, carrots and carrot broth.

We haven't had wild turbot before, so this was a good way to broaden our minds and taste buds. We can add turbot to our items we like. The meat was firm and bright white even after cooking, showing it was high quality.

I liked also the earthiness the mushrooms added to the dish.

Another first for us was the Anjou pigeon breast and braised leg, broad beans and peas. The breast was medium done and something he normally doesn't really like. In this case it suited perfectly well. The best loved component of the dish was the pigeon leg. The skin was crispy and the meat soft.

While waiting for our dessert we were approached by the sommelier, who had heard my fiancé liked Tokaj, especially the Aszu Eszencia, so he had a surprise for him.

The sommelier arrived with a porcelain spoon and a bottle of Oremus Tokaj Eszencia from 2005. The serving was 5 ml. The sugar content is extremely high (over 400 g), so it would too sweet to have the dessert wine served in a glass and this taster was just right. We appreciated the gesture which was unexpected and added yet another welcome touch at this beautiful restaurant in the heart of Dublin.

My partner had ordered with the dessert a glass of sweet wine Ben Rye 2013 Passito di Pantelleria (Donnafugata) from Sicily. The sommelier explained how the wine was made. The grapes are dried for 25 days in the sun to reduce the amount of water and to increase the sugar content. The notes included cardamom and the dessert wine was delicious and new to us.

Our dessert was completely new. It's new to the Greenhouse menu and delighted us both. It was the citrus cremeux with coconut meringue, pink grapefruit sorbet and a coconut flavored clear disk. We felt the dessert was refreshing, original and well made. We would want to enjoy it again in our future when visiting this memorable restaurant in our future.

The finish line for our lunch visit were two Valrhona hot chocolates with sea salt and honey and two dark chocolate pralines with basil and bergamot. Delicious is the word we're looking for as in all cases/experiences here so far.

Service was impeccable and it was nice to chat with Mickael Viljanen in person and some other familiar faces. We found out for example that the glasses and plates are produced in Germany which was fascinating to learn, in our experience it's indeed important to get some insights into the dishes served as in the restaurant/staff themselves.

The bill came in at 210 Euro (ca. 225 USD). It was money and time well spent and we look forward to dine at the Greenhouse again.

Naturally we will look out for the new Michelin guide and we fell that The Greenhouse could indeed achieve 2 Michelin stars in the future too. The restaurant is consistent, beautiful and the staff makes it even more memorable and enjoyable.

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to enjoy again lunch/dinner at this restaurant in our future? YES! ^

Thank you and safe travels. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.